Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I just completed a valve adjustment on my 2012 Honda Pilot Touring hoping to solve a ticking noise when the engines rpms increase. I do not hear the sound at idle. I have listened with my mechanics stethoscope and I can hear the ticking coming from the valve cover over cylinders 1-3. My question is, in the process of completing the adjustment, I notice an "extra" component under that valve cover that is not present in the other valve cover. Im convinced that's what is making the ticking noise, but I'd like to know what it is and if its plausible if that could be making the noise.

·
Registered
9,349 Posts
Hi all,
I just completed a valve adjustment on my 2012 Honda Pilot Touring hoping to solve a ticking noise when the engines rpms increase. I do not hear the sound at idle. I have listened with my mechanics stethoscope and I can hear the ticking coming from the valve cover over cylinders 1-3. My question is, in the process of completing the adjustment, I notice an "extra" component under that valve cover that is not present in the other valve cover. Im convinced that's what is making the ticking noise, but I'd like to know what it is and if its plausible if that could be making the noise. View attachment 135361
That's the rear spool valve assembly. I don't know if it could make noise or not.
The VVT solenoids will click. I don't know at what rate.

·
Registered
9,349 Posts
Thanks. What does a real spool valve do?
Without doing research, oil flows through it to the cams.
All I know is bad things start happening when the screen in the gasket plugs up. This usually occurs somewhere around 200k

Reactions: Daltongang

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No luck fixing the issue. Adjusted the valves, replaced the purge valve, new timing belt tensioner and I torqued the vtec cam bolts after reading an article that might resolve the issue. It only makes the noise after 2000 rpms. The noise is not present at idle. I've listened to every component I can reach with my stethoscope and can not nail this issue down.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Good question. Thought u were driving around. I dont know if the valve body still flows if trans isn't engaged.
What about the belts idle pulley. Sometimes the bearings will go bad.

·
Registered
9,349 Posts
No luck fixing the issue. Adjusted the valves, replaced the purge valve, new timing belt tensioner and I torqued the vtec cam bolts after reading an article that might resolve the issue. It only makes the noise after 2000 rpms. The noise is not present at idle. I've listened to every component I can reach with my stethoscope and can not nail this issue down.
Injectors tick?

·
Registered
9,349 Posts
Possibly. I can't reach the injectors while the engine is running. How could I test them?
I've never really tried to test an injector for ticking. If they're dirty or old and have a CL, I just replace them.

·
Registered
9,349 Posts

·
Registered
9,349 Posts
Buy a good one and swap it with each one. Never heard of them ticking though. Or find a low mile injector from a salvage yard
A ticking injector is a working injector.

Reactions: bdozer1965
1 - 20 of 20 Posts