Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just did the first timing belt change on my 2007 Pilot and now there is a ticking sound when the engine is running. I have not driven it yet, just idling. The timing doesnt seem out of whack (not misfiring), but I dont know how much it would be out of timing to do serious damage or if I could even tell just by listening. The engine seems to run smoothly except for the noise. I was very meticulous about the process but I am concerned that the belt may be off by one tooth or something else going on. I changed water pump and pulleys as well with the kit from Rock Auto. Any suggestions how I can tell if the timing is messed up or what things could be off?

·
Registered
Glorificatus Oleum Mutante
12,299 Posts
I just did the first timing belt change on my 2007 Pilot and now there is a ticking sound when the engine is running. I have not driven it yet, just idling. The timing doesnt seem out of whack (not misfiring), but I dont know how much it would be out of timing to do serious damage or if I could even tell just by listening. The engine seems to run smoothly except for the noise. I was very meticulous about the process but I am concerned that the belt may be off by one tooth or something else going on. I changed water pump and pulleys as well with the kit from Rock Auto. Any suggestions how I can tell if the timing is messed up or what things could be off?
I don't believe that ticking would be a result of timing being off. Especially if your running smooth.
Did you ensure that no slack remained on the right side?
Is the sound recordable?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would be tough to record the noise. It seems to be coming from the upper end. It does sound similar to the car in this video that turned out to be valve damaged. fast forward to 2:50

·
Registered
12,299 Posts
I would be tough to record the noise. It seems to be coming from the upper end. It does sound similar to the car in this video that turned out to be valve damaged. fast forward to 2:50
These guys in the video know the belt broke. Maybe yours just needs a valve adjustment?

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,850 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am considering to take it to a mechanic to see if they can do a compression test to see if I belt any valves. I dont know what other diagnostics they can do to determine if its valve damage or something innocuous.

·
Registered
12,299 Posts

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
I am considering to take it to a mechanic to see if they can do a compression test to see if I belt any valves. I dont know what other diagnostics they can do to determine if its valve damage or something innocuous.
Compression test would point to a leaky cylinder if the valves were bent. A further test would be to use a cylinder leakdown gauge on all 6 cylinders. 5% to 10% leakage is considered normal. Over 20% indicates a problem. Compare the results to determine if one or more cylinders was damaged. With the low mileage you have on your Pilot, I would expect all the cylinders to be similar, and in good shape (if the car has been well maintained).

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Followed up on the ticking noise after timing belt change. Compression test was good and mechanic didnt think there were any bent valves. Phew! He thought noise could be from a bad coil and recommended to start by replacing spark plugs. They have 52k original miles on them but are 13 yrs old. Its a minimal investment and may get better MPG too.

·
Registered
12,299 Posts
Followed up on the ticking noise after timing belt change. Compression test was good and mechanic didnt think there were any bent valves. Phew! He thought noise could be from a bad coil and recommended to start by replacing spark plugs. They have 52k original miles on them but are 13 yrs old. Its a minimal investment and may get better MPG too.
A bad coil will set a misfire code. The engine light will illuminate.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,850 Posts
Tensioner for timing belt maybe, although from an Aisin kit would surprise me unless something in the install process was off. Serpentine belt tensioner is also a possibility, and I'm going to add to pull all your spark plugs, check them and retorque them to spec.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Did your mechanic use a stethoscope to locate just where the ticking was coming from? Mechanic's stethoscope is an inexpensive tool, readily available on Amazon or at an auto parts store. This is something that you could use to determine the source of the noise, just be careful about placing the probe near rotating assemblies.

·
Registered
12,299 Posts
My comment on a ticking coil was not accurate. I often raise coils off the spark plugs to test them. This makes a ticking noise. If you have a coil arching, that's bad. I've never seen it on a Honda as like in this video on a Chrysler, but I'm suspicious of it having delt with oxidation/deterioration of a valve cover around the spark plug tube. All of this would be unrelated to a timing belt job.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.