Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have an older Thule box, load bars, and rail clamps. I take the box off when we are not using it as it will not fit in the garage. The problem is the bars make one heck of lot of racket without the box on. Has anyone used the fairing with any sucess. What about going through the car wash? I see on theit site that they have a new one.

I would take the bars off also but its kind of a pain and really would be much more convient to leave them on.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have the same issue. Those padded / foam tubes help a lot but still it is not acceptable to me. Most passengers though don't notice at all. I have not tried the new faring. New as of when? Can you send a link to the one you are talking about?

BTW, it takes 60 seconds to remove the cross bars so I do that when I am doing a road trip without the cargo box. Around town I keep the bars on for the bike rack.

-pilotdude

·
Registered
311 Posts
I have the same problem. My crossbars are in the shed. While they were on we could really notice the sound. Others did too --- My mother-in-law: "what is that loud noise." You can use the Thule box on the Pilot crossbars. I'm tempted to get them. The only problem is that I have three other racks - ski, kayak, and bike. The fairing is just too intrusive looking for me. Especially the one with the big Thule on it. I did see a thread from last year indicating that Yakima makes a little unobtrusive wind deflector that goes between the mounts on their rack and works well. Thats the kind of thing I would like.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Although I don't have an aftermarket rack on the Pilot, a fairing makes a world of a difference on my other car. Not only does a fairing eliminate the noise, but it also improves your gas mileage vs a rack w/o a fairing. If you don't like the looks of a fairing, I heard the Yakima wing-looking rack attachment works as well.

·
Registered
12 Posts
The fairing works great and eliminates virtually all of the noise. I keep it on all of the time (along with the crossbars), even at the car wash, but I go to a hand wash.

·
Registered
311 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts