Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed Spartanman has a Thule cargo box. Which one do you have and do you also have the Thule crossbars? How do you like them? Am interested in this set-up (Thule 754 crossbars and the short box). Just wondering if you notice them much when driving.

Thanks,
Rusty

·
Registered
81 Posts
Thule Weekender

I have the short Thule box from my earlier car (SAAB 9-5) and used it on a 2200 mile trip the last 2 weeks. It installed easily on my factory cross bars (SS EX-L-RES). I was concerned as the the bars are slightly convex, but the box bottom is flexible enough to adjust. I noticed some slight wind noise at high speed, although mostly when there was a strong cross wind.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Rustym

Not sure if I posted this response in another thread....

I have the Thule Frontier (11 cu foot) long box. Great for carrying skis, fishing poles, pack and plays, etc...Thule makes a great product ..No drag or wind noise. My wife and I purchased it for her CRV. The CRV has the Honda OEM rack and crossbars. No problems, fits great.

So, I ordered the OEM crossbars for my Pilot before delivery; Of course, thinking that I would use the Thule on it much like our CRV. Well, the Thule fits fine to the Pilot rack, however I can't open my liftgate all the way because the Pilot's spoiler/brake light collides.
The Thule Frontier sits just low enough and not far enough forward.

I can't avoid the problem without considering; A. another cargo box or B. a rail system which gives me an additional 1/2 inch or inch of height to open the liftgate.

I'm looking at the 754 series. In hindsight. I wish I had saved the money and not installed the OEM crossbars.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Spartanman,

Thanks for the reply. I'm definately going to get the 754 rack. Am thinking about the Excursion box. We don't do any skiing or snow boarding, so I don't really need a long box. The Excursion is 55"long x 35" wide x 18" tall. Most just need something to carry luggage in if we have lots of people inside.

Rusty

·
Registered
46 Posts
I too have a Thule box. I used theThule cross bars and brackets from our last vehicle and find they are much stronger than any factory cross bars. We also use the Thule bike carriers in the summer. The nice thing about them is that you can remove the cross bars in a matter of seconds. I usually leave the brackets on the rails-they don't look that bad. With any cross bars you will get some wind noise. With the box on the vehicle you get almost none.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts