Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

I have a 2009 Honda Pilot EX with about 185k miles. Recently my check engine light came on, and without having a functional OBD-II scanner at my house, I drove to AutoZone to borrow a scanner. The car gave 4 Codes (I’ll list them with the brief description):

P3400 Valve Pause System Off Bank 1
P0455 EVAP System (Very) Large Leak Detected
P0455 EVAP System (Very) Large Leak Detected (Seprate reads, not a typo)
P0456 EVAP System Small Leak Detected

This is very worrying however the car seems to be operating fine (no fluids being lost, Gas consumption is the same)

I’m going to take it to the local Honda shop (Spent tons on my last car there before engine failure) and hopefully it is not expensive, however I think it will be.
If anyone has any input feel free to share. Thank you

edit: I feel like I should add that I’ve done basic tests like tightening the gas cap and looking for loose connections but nothing drastic

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,234 Posts
..and maybe also check the air intake tube for cracks, especially on the underside near the ends, to rule out a vacuum leak there. Sometimes you have to look very carefully to see it.

That said, have you overfilled or topped off the gas recently. Not a good habit.

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
4,174 Posts
As a quick sanity check disconnect battery negative for 10 minutes (to clear codes) then reconnect the battery. See if the check engine light still comes on the next time you take it for a spin.

If you have access to a scan tool which supports Honda specific codes that might give better insight to the problem. Or you could try the OBD2 port jumper method which blinks the major code(s) on the dash lights.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Assuming the engine oil level is good and has been maintained with a quality filter?

P3400 - they can run diagnostics tests and follow a troubleshooting path. I don't see any correlation there and your evap leak, however.... unless it is a poor connection at the PCM.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
..and maybe also check the air intake tube for cracks, especially on the underside near the ends, to rule out a vacuum leak there. Sometimes you have to look very carefully to see it.

That said, have you overfilled or topped off the gas recently. Not a good habit.
Hello, I just discovered that the air intake hose is cracked and I will be replacing it ASAP, I put some duct tape on to cover the gash for now, I don’t usually overfill the gas or even fully fill it up, but I will be taking that into account in the future. Thank you

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
As a quick sanity check disconnect battery negative for 10 minutes (to clear codes) then reconnect the battery. See if the check engine light still comes on the next time you take it for a spin.

If you have access to a scan tool which supports Honda specific codes that might give better insight to the problem. Or you could try the OBD2 port jumper method which blinks the major code(s) on the dash lights.
I do not but I could try asking the Honda Dealership to use the scanner. I just noticed that my intake hose is cracked and now that I’ve patched it as best as I could with duct tape before replacing it, I will see if the codes reappear after I disconnect the battery. Thank You

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Assuming the engine oil level is good and has been maintained with a quality filter?

P3400 - they can run diagnostics tests and follow a troubleshooting path. I don't see any correlation there and your evap leak, however.... unless it is a poor connection at the PCM.
My last 09 Pilot drank oil for all three meals so I’m very cautious about the level, as far as I know all oil filters are from the Honda Dealership (previous owner had all the work done there) and I would assume they are ok.
I discovered after posting that My air intake hose is cracked and will be replaced ASAP (I patched it temporarily with duct tape) as for the codes, that’s the printout from the reader so I don’t really know

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,234 Posts
Hello, I just discovered that the air intake hose is cracked and I will be replacing it ASAP, I put some duct tape on to cover the gash for now, I don’t usually overfill the gas or even fully fill it up, but I will be taking that into account in the future. Thank you
Glad you found it. Don't know how ASAP you want it, but here's a good place to get it if you don't want to pay dealer's outrageous markup:

2009 HONDA PILOT 3.5L V6 Air Cleaner Intake Hose | RockAuto

And you can get a Piloteers 5% discount.
5% Discount Code: 20CC2CFAD669A0
Expires: May 12, 2020
Please enter this code in the ‘How Did You Hear about Us’ box to receive the discount. Please enter ONLY the discount code, no other words or numbers. All orders are placed online and the discount code must be entered before an order is submitted to receive the discount.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
1 - 9 of 9 Posts