Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys, just looking for thoughts. We have had a mild throttle dependent vibration for years now. Our car has 68k miles. It probably started somewhere in the 30k mile range, but I thought it was tires and I was out of warranty (years) then anyway. It has never been in an accident or anything, we are the original owners. It’s officially just got to the point that Im sick of it. We’re considering getting something else but still I’m curious as to why we have this issue.

• It occurs at light to full throttle between 70-80mph. It goes away outside of this range. Classic interstate cruising is when it shows up. It gets worse going up hill and goes away off throttle going down hill. It shows up for sure in the steering wheel. It MIGHT change based on steering angle but I haven’t been able to tell for 100% sure.
  • It doesn’t always do it, but the vast majority of the time it does.
  • It is unrelated to torque converter lock up state
  • It is unrelated to which gear the car is in. It does it in 3rd, 4th, and 5th gear with no change in frequency or intensity
  • VCM is disabled with s-vcm and the eco light stays off
  • Its a 2wd version so nothing fancy there. Trans to cv axles to hubs. You’d think it’d be simple.... but nope.

Things we have done:
  • Replaced tires - no change
  • Rotated tires - no change
  • Replaced front pads and rotors- no change
  • Disabled VCM - Helps at other speeds, but not 70-80
  • Changed trans fluid a few times, helps with other drivability issues, but no change for this
  • Visually inspected under the car - CVs look good, suspension components appear tight. There are no leaks from anything and all boots look good.
  • Compliance bushings replaced under tsb - no change

To me, the above rules out an engine or transmission issue. I’m GUESSING that it could be a less than perfect CV axle OR maybe engine / transmission mounts... though I think mounts may present differently... maybe? Am I missing anything at all here? Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
I would inspect the mounts a bit more as they could be part of the issue since you checked off the usual culprits (CV). For suspension inspect the struts and inner/outer tie rods. Just tossing this out there (not likely) one service tech mentioned to me that replacing the prop shaft assembly solved a mystery vibration.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would inspect the mounts a bit more as they could be part of the issue since you checked off the usual culprits (CV). For suspension inspect the struts and inner/outer tie rods. Just tossing this out there (not likely) one service tech mentioned to me that replacing the prop shaft assembly solved a mystery vibration.
I’ll take a look at the struts too. I can’t see much of the engine mounts from below but I’ve tried. Supposedly a pita to change. I should have mentioned mine is a lowly 2wd (just added it to my original post) so no prop shaft. The tie rods look perfect and couldn’t get any movement with them by hand.

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
These are classic symptoms of front driveshaft wear issues. Either the CV joints or the inner drive joints at the gearbox ends. The inner joints disassemble pretty easily, and you can feel the wear on the drive faces inside. the outer joints, the "CV" joints, are easier to replace than try and diagnose on the bench. You can disassemble and clean them, but unless the balls are scuffed or there is obvious wear in the grooves you won't be able to tell if they are the cause.

You can buy "rebuilt" driveshafts and there are some new aftermarket replacement options, but they are the shaft and outer joint only. The inner joint still deserves a good look, and IMO anyway should be replaced with the rest of the driveshaft. The prevailing opinion in this forum is that genuine Honda replacements are more reliably good than the aftermarket pieces, BTW.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
These are classic symptoms of front driveshaft wear issues. Either the CV joints or the inner drive joints at the gearbox ends. The inner joints disassemble pretty easily, and you can feel the wear on the drive faces inside. the outer joints, the "CV" joints, are easier to replace than try and diagnose on the bench. You can disassemble and clean them, but unless the balls are scuffed or there is obvious wear in the grooves you won't be able to tell if they are the cause.

You can buy "rebuilt" driveshafts and there are some new aftermarket replacement options, but they are the shaft and outer joint only. The inner joint still deserves a good look, and IMO anyway should be replaced with the rest of the driveshaft. The prevailing opinion in this forum is that genuine Honda replacements are more reliably good than the aftermarket pieces, BTW.
Thats kind of what I was leaning towards as well, though externally they look great and if I pull them out they’re getting replaced with new... Im trying to avoid the parts cannon though since they aren’t real cheap. I don’t know if Honda sells them fully assembled with inner / outer joints. What’s odd is how few of miles we’ve got on them.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You said it.
CV axle(s)
Any thoughts on how to tell which side it is? My gut says passenger side since it gets the most abuse when pulling out in traffic and all.

·
Registered
4,972 Posts
Any thoughts on how to tell which side it is? My gut says passenger side since it gets the most abuse when pulling out in traffic and all.
Yes, you can usually tell.
I was just thinking too.

Sometimes the Crankshaft pulley can cause vibration at different RPMs. It rare but can be the cause. See if it has any wobble at Idle.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes, you can usually tell.
I was just thinking too.

Sometimes the Crankshaft pulley can cause vibration at different RPMs. It rare but can be the cause. See if it has any wobble at Idle.
Yeah, I think the crank pulley is good. The vibration is speed dependent and regardless of rpm. Maybe I should have a real mechanic take a look. With covid19 especially not exactly my idea of fun though. Or I just guess?

Thinking back, the passenger inner is a bit greasy looking and always has been, but just barely. It’s never thrown grease on anything or torn.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts