Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since Honda stealership was trying to upsell me their Throttle body cleaning service with no evidence it needed it since my RPM was normal, i decided to open it up and clean it myself for a 3-year-old car.

i carefully disassembled it for the car and cleaned it without opening the butterfly since its "fly-by-wire", then put it back in the car, put the car in accessory mode, pressed the gas paddle so as to open the butterfly and continued cleaning it, triple checked to make sure all hoses and electrical connections were put back the way it was before and NOW THE IDLE STOP/AUTO STOP is not functioning for the past 3 days.

·
Registered
41 Posts
If you're asking for an explanation or help, all I can think of is leaving the car in accessory mode for more than a few min may have drained your battery enough to fall out of the relatively strict tolerances for the idle stop system. Drive it for more than 15 min for a few days and it may start working again.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you're asking for an explanation or help, all I can think of is leaving the car in accessory mode for more than a few min may have drained your battery enough to fall out of the relatively strict tolerances for the idle stop system. Drive it for more than 15 min for a few days and it may start working again.
You are absolutely right! it started working on the forth day at night. Lesson learned (a good one) car is back to normal

·
Registered
226 Posts
I'd take another lesson away - don't fix something that isn't broken. Unless there is a problem, there is no need for routine throttle body cleaning with the Pilot (or most cars). You're asking for trouble.

- Mark

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'd take another lesson away - don't fix something that isn't broken. Unless there is a problem, there is no need for routine throttle body cleaning with the Pilot (or most cars). You're asking for trouble.

- Mark
Thank you

·
Registered
263 Posts
Did you feel any differences after cleaning throttle body? Car runs smoother?

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
no really as my RPM was around 7K-8K at idle which is normal and was curious based on what the stealership said hence, once i opened it i found very little carbon buildup and cleaned it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts