Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fellow Honda Enthusiasts,

We bought a Silver LX a couple of weeks ago, and every night I lay in bed and look at the Pilot brochure at all of the EX's... What I plan on doing is buying the EX wheels (currently on order for $503 from College Hills Honda). The next thing I want to do is replace the black bodyside molding with silver molding (I think it makes the car look longer, probably around $320...) The question I have for the group is, what should I do next? Buy the LX roofrack ($214) and/or try to get the windows tinted (I am concerned about that not coming out right). Any ideas/comments? Thanks

I know, I know I should have bought the EX originally...

KR:confused:

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
LX to EX

Have the molding taken off and painted.
Any GOOD (emphasis intended) body shop can do that for you.
The tinting is not a big issue either. Look at some samples of the tint shops wortk before deciding.
Actually, I would consider going more custom look, rather than EX.
Good, Silver, or other color tint is the same cost as gray.
When you have the trim painted you can get the fender flare kit and splash guards painted at the same time, but maybe go with a contrasting color. I would think something that matches the gray on the front and rear bumper, but in a metalic gloos, rather than flat.
Then you wil have a one of a kind Pilot!

·
Registered
486 Posts
Sell it.

If you want an EX that bad and are willing to pay for it, sell your LX. No matter what you do to it, it will still be an LX with LX book value come trade or sell time. You'll get top dollar for your LX and you can say the new EX is your second Pilot!

·
Registered
919 Posts
I agree with MDXlite. Sell it. The way the Pilot market is right now, you could probably sell it for VERY little, if any loss. I would think that adding/switching components will get expensive very quickly.

Chris

·
Registered
64 Posts
I agree:eek: ...as tempting as it is, don't try and make your LX into an EX just for the sake satisfying the desire to really instead have an EX. I did the math and thought about this too for a long time...you do save money "adding" OEM part to it....but you won't get the seat or automatic climate controls without big $$. Something happens to it, your insurance is paying you for what the LX value is ..they don't care what you put into it unless it adds safety or decreases the chance it gets stolen. The OEM part directions make it looks pretty easy...but just add the parts that really matter to your daily enjoyment...the modification itch is tough to resist!

·
Registered
61 Posts
SELL!!!

Put it under the classifieds under this site or even E-Bay and see how quick it will take you to get some hits.

A LX is a LX is a LX......Too many extras just to make it look like an EX!! You still won't be satisifed until you have a bonified EX in the garage!!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, check this story out. I bought the LX on a Thursday and the following Tuesday I went back to the dealer to ask if I could upgrade it in to an EX. It had about 100 miles on it. Dealer got his manager together and had me sit down and said it would cost $6700 to get the EX. They said the could only give me like $20K or so for the 4 day old Pilot. Anyhow, that was interesting... I guess car dealers aren't like Walmart were you can return something with your receipt...

On the other hand, it may be too late to sell it out right, since I already ordered the EX wheels... I think I just want wheels, colored molding, tinted windows, & roof rack and I'll be okay. The only thing I'm really missing internally that might matter would be the 7 speaker stereo vs the 4...

Thanks for all your inouts,

KR

·
Registered
226 Posts
Go for it

I did. I bought it black so the side molding blends pretty well. I installed the roof rack myself and it looks better than ex roof rack.
I spent $140 for tinting and they did the front ones too (less dark) and it looks real cool. I bought and self-installed the Honda alarm, but it was a real painful installation, took me 3 hours, but it works great now. My salesman offered to do it for $50, but it was too far.
I bought a towing package because I need to tow my camping trailer, and I will install that myself too. It should arrive today.
The speakers are crappy in EX too, I think I will replace the speakers eventually anyway.
I do miss the driver side auto seats and the 3 garage door openers (home link) in EX, I don't miss the activity tray (middle seat comfort suffers terribly).

·
Registered
176 Posts
Not the dealer --- RETAIL!!!

new2honda said:
... $6700 to get the EX. They said the could only give me like $20K or so for the 4 day old Pilot. Anyhow, that was interesting... I guess car dealers aren't like Walmart were you can return something with your receipt...

THEY ARE TRYING TO RAM A LARGE METAL ROD INTO YOUR REAR!!! THey want to see if you are BRAIN DAMAGED and they are offering some ricockulous low ball WHOLESALE offer!

Put an ad ANYWHERE and you could get pretty much WHAT YOU PAID for the LX!!!

Take the CASH that you'd get from a RETAIL sale and go buy the EX.

I'm with all the other posters who are urgeing you not to waste money trying to turn your LX into a EX-ish type Pilot, you will be money ahead buying an EX. You can also sell the EX wheels easily enough. PLUS they (unlike the vehicel itself) should be "fully refundable".

Good Luck!

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
STOP; THINK; DO!

STOP; THINK; DO!

The order is very important!

P.S. Why would you expect a RETAILER to pay anything over WHOLESALE for a used product.

·
Registered
389 Posts
This is my thought. With the silver it will be hard to disguise it and make it look like an EX. The black one would have been a better choice because the black body molding would have blended in OK.

But let us look at this closely on a Silver.

What you need to get:
1. Alloy Wheels
2. Security System
3. Remote Entry System
4. Body-Colored
5. Multi-Reflector Halogen Headlights - w/Auto-Off
6. Air Conditioning, Front and Rear - Automatic
7. add Cassette & 2 Speakers and a Subwoofer
8. Driver's Seat Adjustment - 8-Way Power
9. 2 additional Beverage Holders
10. Front-Row Seatback Pockets - Top
11. Cargo Net
12. Rear Roofline Spoiler Body-Colored
13. Dual Power Mirrors Body-Colored
14. Roof rack

And lastly an EX emblem!

OK everybody was correct.......... SELL!

:8:

·
Registered
481 Posts
It'll never be the same. . . .I agree with above posts. Sell it and trade up.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Allright, you guys have convinced me, the silver pilot LX with 500 miles will be in the paper tomorrow for $27,770 (what we paid for it). I don't think it will move in this market (Chattanooga), though. Everybody down here is broke...

But then in the event it does sell, I'll have to pay full MSRP & Destination charge on the cloth EX... so I'll be around $29,760 or so if I'm lucky... I guess I'll take a chance on a $25 ad.

Also, btw got the damn EX alloy wheels today...

KR

·
Registered
168 Posts
Coming from experience, you should not have a problem selling something people wait months for. Take the price of the wheels and split it, add that to your asking price. For the dealer, sounds dead on. Is it a raw deal? Yes. There was a seven grand swing on my last SUV. So $20,000 for the Pilot sounds close. Wholesale versus Retail never wins! Regardless, do what makes you happy. You will either make payments on the Pilot you have, or the Pilot you want. You decide.

·
Registered
664 Posts
And...if you shop around carefully you may find another dealer willing to lop a few dollars off the new EX. I would not go back to this [insert your own insult here] of a dealer. He knows darn well he would slap it back on his lot for $200 under sticker calling it a demo. I would still ship the wheels back un opened.

The other note someone left here, in the unexpected event that you cannot sell your LX, don't try to make it an EX. Make it your vehicle with your tastes in mind. There are plenty of nice sets of rim out there which can really showcase your Pilot and make it a one of a kind.

Vegasdude, unless I'm missing something, there is no EX emblem. Although my VTEC emblem will arrive soon. Now where do I put it?

·
Registered
29 Posts
LX vs EX

I bought an LX and here is my list of modifications...... 1) 17 inch Rims and much better tires than OEM
2) Full window tinting
3) Roof Rack
4) Color matched mouldings
5) Rear mud gaurds
6) Mirror covers
7) Hitch
8) Manik polished stainless steel side bars

.......and the best part is that I still have spent $ 700 less than what an EX would of cost!!

·
Registered
11 Posts
I bought a LX as well. Pilotguy, can you tell me how much will it cost to have the moldings replaced? Where did you get them from? Was it hard to install yourself? Thanks!

·
Registered
138 Posts
I would like to see some pictures after the upgrade.

Personally, LX & EX is not much difference. But if you can fooled people using a LX with an EX look, it's really cool....:26:

Can someone post some pictures? Thx.

·
Registered
919 Posts
Hey, that's why they offer the different models. If the other EX features aren't important to you, you shouldn't have to pay for them. It's good to hear that you can tweak the LX into exactly what you want without the price going sky high. I agree, we need to see pictures of this bad boy!

Chris

1 - 20 of 29 Posts