Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Find the correct tow capacity in a Honda publication.

·
Registered
516 Posts

·
Administrator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,845 Posts
From the specifications posted, it should fall under the maximum recommended weight of 4500 lbs. Most people try to keep their total tow weight to no more than 80% of the capacity of the tow vehicle, which in this case would be 3600 lbs. The length of the vehicle is only an issue for the driver, whether they feel comfortable pulling a specific length. It is important to consider the weight of all the passengers, their gear and all the gear that will be loaded into the trailer, not just the weight of the trailer.

The owners manual does a good job of explaining towing capacity based on the total number of occupants, gear etc. It is important to know exactly what those numbers are. In my experience I have found that most people tend to under estimate the weight of their gear etc. If you tow the trailer make sure to take the vehicle loaded with all the passengers, their gear as well as the trailer loaded with al the food, gear, water etc. that you will take with you and get and get exact weights.

Finally, if you are towing you should follow the severe condition maintenance schedule, instead of the standard schedule that the MM will report. Take your time when towing. remember you will be asking the vehicle to propel the weight of two vehicle, not just one. Good luck with the trailer.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Does that 4500 lbs require a factory tranny cooler? Hum......guess there isn’t one.

·
Administrator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,845 Posts
It does, but my 2013 Pilot Touring came equipped with the towing package which included the cooler. If the OP reads the manual then they should already be aware that the ATF cooler is needed for to be able to pull up to 4500 lbs.

·
Administrator
2016 CRV Touring AWD, 2005 Pilot RIP.
16,315 Posts
The Owners manual is full of good advice about towing and weight Starting at page 329. RV's official weight under estimate reality.

Your Pilot has around 1450lb payload. Your door sticker will show actual number. 12% tongue weight (specs in RV place link are wrong) plus people weight, plus fuel, plus everything else inside the car.

If you have a heavy load inside your car, you may easily exceed the GVWR and GCWR ratings for the Pilot with that trailer. If inexperienced, you may not like towing something that big because of the way it feels. Even unladen. People second trailer is always bigger, not smaller.
MPG will crumble with a trailer. 10 to 12. Worse in hilly countryside or if you drive fast.

Let us know what you do.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you all. So I did find the chart in the owners manual. We are a family of 3 but to add additional buffer, I’ve been basing all my weights and requirements off the family of four. Also, we never plan on going to any site without full hook ups, so the fresh water tank will never be full when I am towing a long distance. I am aware that I may need to tow to a dump station on site some times. My additional buffer for the family count (knowing my current 20 month may one day have friends he wants to take camping) and no towing of fresh water helps to keep that weight in the lower end

Looking at all the charts in owners manual, my only concern at this point is the tongue weight. I believe the camper is 325 and if I read the manual correctly, I believe the Pilot is 300?

I did also find this chart from Honda that has a very detailed break down and shows that all 4WD models have the tranny cooler and the ps cooler as well.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
You only have a transmission cooler if it is there, and you can see it! Like they say, ASSUME makes an ass out of u and me. I don't think tranny coolers were standard on AWD Pilots. Neither of mine came with them. Take another look...

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
I don’t believe AWD Passports come with a factory installed tranny cooler either......only AWD Ridgeline’s come from the factory with a tranny cooler. On Pilots, Passports and FWD Ridgeline’s, the tranny cooler is an accessory added later.

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
2013 Pilot EX 4WD with the 7 pin harness installed With a brake controller. What is everyone’s thoughts on my wife and I pulling a 2013 Skyline Nomad 170
If the PS and AT coolers are not part of your tow package have them installed to help reduce the extra heat and stress on these components when towing. Reduced heat related failures are some of the unseen benefits to prevent future drivetrain issues.

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,174 Posts
You only have a transmission cooler if it is there, and you can see it! Like they say, ASSUME makes an ass out of u and me. I don't think tranny coolers were standard on AWD Pilots. Neither of mine came with them. Take another look...
I'm not a Pilot guru, but I don't think your year models did come factory.
His owners manual even states his does. Just saying.

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,174 Posts
I did also find this chart from Honda that has a very detailed break down and shows that all 4WD models have the tranny cooler and the ps cooler as well.
For those trying to keep this person and everyone and there vehicle safe,
The OP posted this for us. I read it. Boom, done, he's/it's got it.
Enough with the coolers.

I say, based on the data, other than the tongue weight being iffy, he'll be fine.
In fact, I think it'll be fine. The OP is a month old.

OP, did you get it yet? Pull it yet? How'd it go?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts