Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've been over at the third gen side of this site for a while and wanted to get peoples thoughts on a first gen. A friend had issues with a dying minivan and the dealer (used car lot) they bought it from a few years ago made them an offer to trade it in (over what it was worth) on a 2006 FWD Pilot with 90k miles they had taken in on trade. I glanced thru the forums for them and I saw some common issues but the consensus seemed the 06-08 are not that bad compared to earlier ones. I told them what I found and they got the car this week.

Anyone have thoughts on what to look out for or preventive issues that should be addressed?

Registered
Any maintenance records?
The timing belt water pump service hopefully has been done. If no record, I'd plan to do that using an Aisin kit, along with flushing out old coolant.
I'd disable the VCM. I use S-VCM.
If spark plugs are original. Install a new set of NGK Laser Iridiums.
Check Air Filter.
Inspect Serpentine belt. Replace if needed.
Replace PCV valve because of age.
If I didn't know what transmission fluid was in it, I'd plan a conversion to Full Synthetic Valvoline MaxLife ATF. 3x D&F.
Check the oil and filter. If I see a generic quick lube filter, I'm doing an oil change with full synthetic oil and at least a mid grade oil filter.
I'd do a brake check and check the quality of the fluid. Are the rotors warped? Replace if needed.
Check the quality of the power steering fluid. Change if black.
Check the 3 ground cables. Battery to frame. Engine to frame. Transmission to frame. Clean contact points, replace if needed.
Optional: Then I'd up grade to some 17in alloy rims and install a set of High Performance Sumitomo HTR A/S P03s. 235/65R17 108V. 馃槅馃ぃ馃槣

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No records with the car. Friend is going to pull the carfax and see if it's on there hopefully. I might help them out and do it if not. Other then that sounds like a pretty generic list (other then grounds).

Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
Did you say how $$? Check blue book values. It will need the timing belt done if not done already, etc.

Registered
No records with the car. Friend is going to pull the carfax and see if it's on there hopefully. I might help them out and do it if not. Other then that sounds like a pretty generic list (other then grounds).
To keep that Pilot rolling reliably I think that list is pretty specific for this particular Honda. With no records available this is a great way to start the ownership.

Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens peque帽o sparus tyre.
Here's a very useful checklist that the admins & mod are hopefully reconvening to vote yeah or nay on making a Sticky. :)

Optional: Then I'd up grade to some 17in alloy rims and install a set of High Performance Sumitomo HTR A/S P03s. 235/65R17 108V. 馃槅馃ぃ馃槣
This, however, apparently remains a matter of great contention.

Registered
Reactions: plplplpl
1 - 7 of 7 Posts