Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

Thoughts on coolant

30K views 223 replies 19 participants last post by  dr bob 
#1 ·
What’s the groups consensus on zerex blue Asian coolant as opposed to the original Honda blue? Thanks

#19 ·
Reactions: RedsPilot
#5 · (Edited)
The big complaint I have on 50/50 is just that. It's 50/50. Water evaporates leaving a more concentration of antifreeze in your system. In most cases, you only need to top off with distilled water.
OAT antifreeze like Prestone green are perfectly fine (Incoming fire!). I use the concentrate and add distilled. I'm not a fan of mixing brands. I flush completely with distilled water.

#6 ·
The big complaint I have on 50/50 is just that. It's 50/50. Water evaporates leaving a more concentration of antifreeze in your system. In most cases, you only need to top off with distilled water.
OAT antifreeze like Prestone green are perfectly fine (Incoming fire!). I use the concentrate and add distilled. Toyota Red and BMW Blue concentrate are great for Honda. I'm not a fan of mixing brands. I flush completely with distilled water.
How often do you need to top off your coolant, and how much do you use?

If you're completely replacing the old coolant, then you need a 50/50 mix at that time.

#10 ·
I pull hoses and drain what I can out. Then with everything put back together. Pour in distilled only and let idle till engine is warm up (monitoring engine temp). After water has circulated for 10 mins or so (knowing the thermostat has been open). Let cool, and drain it out. Then add my home made Prestone mix. Again, I'm mixing more like 60/40 knowing I got water in the block already. If your concerned about your mix. Buy you an antifreeze tester. Yes, I'm old school. I'm maintaining 9 vehicles.

#17 · (Edited)
Those 2 Jugs of OEM 50/50 Honda blue will cost you $40-50. 1 jug of Prestone Concentrate is under $15. If you have a 2 gallon system..., buy 3 gallons of distilled water for $1 each. Use 2 distilled to flush with. Drain. Add 1 gallon of Concentrate Antifreeze and top off with distilled. I get the job done for under $20. I like saving a $20 bill 😁. If you want your coolant blue..., Buy a 1gal jug of BMW blue concentrate for $20-25. It's recommended for Honda's.

#26 ·
Coolant gets changed here at four years regardless of mileage. We don't drive that much, so the miles fade to background in the decision tree. I've changed it once, due again next year. A brown truck brings me Honda coolant, the premix. I drain two gallons, install two gallons after the distilled-water flush.

I have a few other toys with interesting-alloy engines that seem to be particularly sensitive to coolant blends. We don't find out if we made a poor substitution until there's a failure. Might be a head gasket or might be cylinder/block corrosion, and those may or may not show up in the typical first-owner's life. Unless there's some demonstrated/documented improvement with something else, the few extra dollars-per-year for Honda coolant are nothing. I maintain my cars for 250k+ expected service life. It's different for the lease-and-release or new every five years bunch. I'm too cheap to risk cheap coolant I guess.

#29 ·
The predominant failure mode on water pumps starts with damage to the mechanical seal. Coolant migrates through the bearings and failure is inevitable. Proper coolant and proper blend is critical to protecting that mechanical seal face. There's a whole batch of science focused on corrosion in the block and heads with various coolants. The pump itself sees a relatively constant temperature and lives a charmed existence compared with tops of cylinders and the heads, so maybe not the perfect example for "this is fine so everything is fine!".

It turns out that, on paper anyway, pure water is better than common coolant blend. The system in the Pilot is pretty robust, and you watch coolant temps I'm sure. There's enough capacity to tow 4K lbs in summer heat, uphill with a crosswind, so for general duty there's more than enough surplus transfer capability to tolerate any blend you care to put in.

-----
I have a gen-2 VCMuzzler, and it tells me when the engine gets past normal temp by flashing the ECO light. Yesterday i was out running a few errands in 70º, and after waiting for a light and a train, the ECO light was on for the next mile. Gauge was within half a tick of normal position. No AC running so the fans weren't helping as much as they might. Just a casual observation that there's a lot going on that can affect coolant temp.

Reactions: Nail Grease
#30 ·
The predominant failure mode on water pumps starts with damage to the mechanical seal. Coolant migrates through the bearings and failure is inevitable. Proper coolant and proper blend is critical to protecting that mechanical seal face. There's a whole batch of science focused on corrosion in the block and heads with various coolants. The pump itself sees a relatively constant temperature and lives a charmed existence compared with tops of cylinders and the heads, so maybe not the perfect example for "this is fine so everything is fine!".

It turns out that, on paper anyway, pure water is better than common coolant blend. The system in the Pilot is pretty robust, and you watch coolant temps I'm sure. There's enough capacity to tow 4K lbs in summer heat, uphill with a crosswind, so for general duty there's more than enough surplus transfer capability to tolerate any blend you care to put in.
I recently helped a friend with a timing belt water pump job on a Chevy Cruse. The water pump had a slow leak (it's an exterior pump driven by the drive belt). This vehicle uses the infamous all important Orange😝. The corrosion inside and out was terrible. Although the bearing was stiff, not free wheeling, the leak was obviously from the flattened decayed mixed in corrosion rubber gasket. Yes, we put Orange back in it 😑. The 110k mile water pump was not being protected in my opinion. I'm having a difficult time trusting the manufactures in their recommendations when I see something like this. But too, the antifreeze was likely never changed on this 7 year old car.

I honestly have nothing against Honda 50/50 blue other than the fact it's 50/50. If I want a 50/50 mix in my engine using it, I have to flush with it. Flushing with distilled water is best because I'm able to clean out my system more thoroughly and at a $1 gallon at the grocery store verses $7 a 1/2 gallon at the Honda stealership, it's a no brainer.
I expect some 108° days where I live this summer. So it's fixing to be game on. I will be monitoring engine and transmission temps.

#31 ·
Only reason why I still use the blue juice is the fact that it came with it factory so it's designed for it. I also keep it honda due to the fact that I'm still running my warranty on the Pilot so if anything goes wrong it's covered by the morons at the dealership. They wont be able to void the warranty as an excuse if the coolant is green.

#33 ·
Yes. Use the Honda blue if still in waranty, although I'd be tempted to use the compatible BMW Blue concentrate if I needed to wash out my cooling system with distilled water. Being waranty-less is freedom. No payments! 😎

#35 · (Edited)
It looks like Prestone has Tripple Quadrupled down on what they claim their Antifreeze can protect. They say they can cover any vehicle for 10 years/300,000 miles.
The graphics on the bottle have changed.
I have 2 Jugs of concentrate in my curb side Wal-Mart order for pick up today at $10.87 per gallon. I can make my own 50/50 mix for under $6 😉.

Reactions: aggrex
#36 ·
[reads label, sheds IQ, then...]
They guarantee that rust and corrosion won't kill my engine up to ten years or 300,000 miles. Does that change when I dilute the coolant concentrate? I'm over 7 years already.

---

Some may remember the great Prestone ad campaign, where they poked the metal coolant can multiple times with an icepick, and bragged about the stop-leak capabilities. Later, in court, they argued that anyone could see that the leaks stopped as the coolant level in the can dropped below the holes. They, um, lost that one.

I have total faith in Prestone claims. After Dex-Cool and replacement head gaskets, gelled slime fouling the system after a coolant swap with the same stuff in there previously, and the like. Total Faith...

#37 ·
Prestone has a Dex-Cool so I run that in the Traverse. The classic Impala gets regular Prestone. The Hyundai gets regular Prestone as will the recently added 325Ci. The Pilot will get Honda fluid.

In a pinch I have no issue using the generic or recommended version of off the shelf stuff for any of the vehicles. As they age more and their value becomes less I care less. I always run the premix so I don't have to think or bust out the old tool.

The classics with iron block/head and aluminum radiators seem to like the regular Prestone so I'm gonna stick with it.

If I had one of the hundreds of Italians/Germans/Brits in @dr bob fleet I would certainly treat them with more caution and not be cheap about it. Lucky for me the classic American iron doesn't care and aren't nearly as delicate.

#38 · (Edited)
Ah, a nice, easygoing antifreeze (that's what coolant is called in the Great White North) thread. A relaxing change from a high-strung, contentious oil thread, I thought. :p

So I'd like to throw this into the proverbial (50/50 :)) mix: Are we being duped by this product or is it a solution that all can agree upon? It's blue and it says OEM. :)

OEM Extended Life BLUE I Antifreeze/Coolant - Anti-freeze, windshield wash, solvents, Global supplier of automotive liquids & household chemicals - Recochem Inc.

Sold, among other places, at...

Attachments

#42 · (Edited)
Here is the new label on the back of the new improved Prestone Concentrate. Pick it apart if you like. What I think is the important thing to note.., compatibility with OAT and HOAT. These are Honda specs if I'm not mistaken. And mix with DISTILLED WATER ONLY. Tap water is not ok.
🏃‍♂️🔫🗡

I'm all in on mixing my own 50/50 for under $6 a gallon! And a masked Wal-Mart employee put it in the back of the Pilot for me 😊.
Mr El Chepo here 🙋‍♂️

#47 ·
I would just use the factory coolant. It is changed infrequently enough under the manufacturer recommendation that the cost is not material relative to the additional potential aggravation. I used to help run the DIY program of a local car club and when I asked most of the mechanics about experience with coolant (water pump, hoses, and belts are a common DIY project) the universal recommendation was to use the factory stuff.

This is one reason we thinned the car herd years ago. You find yourself asking somewhat nonsensical questions about how to save money maintaining an excessive number of vehicles when the real answer is to cut the number. Unless you are Jay Leno or independently wealthy. Or you have a business and the vehicles are used in the business. But then I would hope you have some help with maintenance as your focus should be on the business.

#48 · (Edited)
I'm not advocating anyone following my lead. Especially if your vehicle is under waranty.
I'm caring for 9 vehicles (business and personal) of various makes. Most of them are with high milage. Secretly, millions of people are driving around with Prestone Antifreeze in their vehicles, knowingly and unknowingly. I'm just letting it be known, and that you got nothing to fear. This is not a new experiment. I have vehicles that have gone the test of time with no issues. And I'm not one to fool myself into thinking I did a cooling system flush by a drain and fill during a timing belt water pump job. I want the old stuff out. Completely out. I'm not doing a system flush with 50/50. Nor am I taking 9 vehicles to the stealership to have it done.

Reactions: ConrodM
#59 ·
It's also nice when you can time it to combine it with a timing belt job or a radiator replacement.

#69 ·
Slight tangent... Do the radiators have a history of shorter service life? If so, what's the common failure mode, excluding accident damage? Is it coolant related?

#83 · (Edited)
One could say it's coolant if not replaced (inside out)(Dexcool experience in this thread). But more often, I'd say failure would come from the outside in because of the corrosive elements eatting up the aluminum. Wash your radiator with distilled water from time to time.

#70 · (Edited)
I don't know that they have a shorter service life per say. I think that a lot of the issues that come up are owner related in the fact that many radiators out there now are aluminum instead of the standard brass or copper coated radiator. The chemicals used to prolong radiator life are 1 specially formulated for particular radiator types and 2 lack of proper maintenance, including changing the coolant. The coolant itself does not degrade, the additives to help maintain the system do however degrade over time . By not flushing and filling the radiator with new coolant as prescribed life is shortened.

Also by not using the proper coolant and/or water combination. I can't count the number of people I have seen who needed to top off their radiator grab the garden hose and top it off instead of using distilled water. Shoot, 30+ years ago if you pulled in to the full service bay at the gas station, yes children back in the day there were guys called gas jockeys who would fill your car, check your oil, tires etc., and if they need to top of a radiator they would grab the garden hose that every good gas station had right there at the pumps.

#71 ·
yes children back int he day there were guys called gas jockeys who would fill your car, check your oil, tires etc.
... AKA Vehicle Fuel Conveyance Technician (VFCT), and they wore spiffy uniforms with bow ties and called you "sir."

Caption: Archival image of @Daltongang out for a Sunday drive with the missus back in his heyday.

#72 ·
By the way, I remember they still have full service gas stations in Japan, and I mean full service. Furthermore, the attendants could just as likely be female. I'd even get the full treatment on my Honda Lead 90 pictured in my avatar. All I'd have to do is pull in and say "レギュラー満タンでお願いします。" then sit back and watch the choreography.

#73 · (Edited)
What's this green stuff in my rebuilt 2017 3rd Gen Honda Pilot radiator? Oh that's right, I put Prestone concentrate and distilled water in it about 9 months ago and haven't opened the cap since. Still looks nice and clean for the summer. No grimaces, Nothing for the fear mongers. If only there was a blue concentrate at Wal-mart for $10 a gallon. Then maybe I could shake the stigma.

#74 ·
What's this green stuff in my rebuilt Honda Pilot radiator? Oh that's right, I put Prestone concentrate and distilled water in it about 9 months ago and haven't opened the cap since. Still looks nice and clean for the summer. No grimaces, Nothing for the fear mongers. If only there was a blue concentrate at Wal-mart for $10 a gallon. Then maybe I can shake the stigma.
View attachment 136303
I think it may be more of a case of someone having a love of all things green. Coolant.....................shop rag underwear............. Still haven't decided if the second item got that way in the shop or came to the shop with the lovely green color you have shown in the past. 😆

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.