121 - 140 of 224 Posts

·
Registered
11,356 Posts
Honda Special Coolant Sauce
View attachment 151248
☝😲
There it is.
So funny how they want you to come back 15k miles later to do the coolant after you drained out a gallon just 15k miles before when the timing belt water pump was done. Lol, what's with that.

Reactions: plplplpl and aggrex

·
Registered
9,736 Posts
☝😲
There it is.
So funny how they want you to come back 15k miles later to do the coolant after you drained out a gallon just 15k miles before when the timing belt water pump was done. Lol, what's with that.
The maintenance schedule doesn't call for the replacement of the water pump.

·
Registered
11,356 Posts
The maintenance schedule doesn't call for the replacement of the water pump.
I've gone 180k on a WP. The impeller still turned, but it was beginning to get rigormortis. I wouldn't do that again.

·
Registered
9,736 Posts
I've gone 180k on a WP. The impeller still turned, but it was beginning to get rigormortis. I wouldn't do that again.
Makes you wonder what sort of "inspection" can be done of the water pump at 105K that might let you predict with certainty that it will last until 210K.

·
Registered
11,356 Posts
Makes you wonder what sort of "inspection" can be done of the water pump at 105K that might let you predict with certainty that it will last until 210K.
210k. No not smart.
I'm old school and do my timing belt water pump job at 90k. I've thrown a lot of perfectly good water pumps away. But a family member had a water pump at 104k that was 7 years old on his 13 Accord not looking so good. The impeller was not free spinning. The tensioner was beginning to fail.

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
even if you needed to replace it every 100k miles,, how many of us here actually plan to put on 200k on a pilot,, much less 240??

For pretty much my whole post-teenage car-owning life, cars are maintained to last at least 250k. Some get sold before then of course, and a tax law change was an incentive to buy a new SUV one time. Regardless, the last several cars have been moved on with at least 200k on them. They looked pretty new, and ran pretty new. I drive old cars that I try to keep as close to new condition as I can. There's over half a million total miles on odometers in my garage right now. The Pilot is the baby.

So yeah, there's at least one crackpot case here who tries to get "full value" out of the cars.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,229 Posts
March of 2020 the world changed and being a retired old fart the brand spanking new Passport had very few mile put on it. By mid December 2020 with a whopping 3000 miles on the odometer I got a 15% oil life message. I had noticed, with the little driving I did during that time that the oil life was steady going down month to month.

For oil life, I will argue that there is a time component in the MM. There is no other reason that my oil life would have steadily declined month after month, some months with only around 20 miles put on the vehicle, for the oil life expectancy to have changed if there was not a calendar component. It matched Hondas maintenance schedule recommendation of changing the oil at least Once a Year.
I'm with you on later cars having a better MM algorithm. "It's about time!" seems like the perfect statement. Meanwhile, the 2012-2015 Pilots, the focus of this forum, sadly do not consider that feature in the MM.
So that also explains why the Maintenance Minder on my 2006 still reads 85% oil life after more than a year. They only installed the planned obsolescence piezoelectric quartz countdown timer in the oil sensors of later models. :)

For pretty much my whole post-teenage car-owning life, cars are maintained to last at least 250k. Some get sold before then of course, and a tax law change was an incentive to buy a new SUV one time. Regardless, the last several cars have been moved on with at least 200k on them. They looked pretty new, and ran pretty new. I drive old cars that I try to keep as close to new condition as I can. There's over half a million total miles on odometers in my garage right now. The Pilot is the baby.

So yeah, there's at least one crackpot case here who tries to get "full value" out of the cars.
Make that two. Anyone else? :)

·
Registered
11,356 Posts
Reactions: plplplpl

·
Registered
11,356 Posts
Then there's the spendthrift who thinks he's saving money by buying cheap tires, but has to replace them every 2-3 years.
I buy 60k mile tires. At a $400‐$500 savings. Will see how they look after 3 years. Just not going anywhere half as much so ya, I'm saving money. A lot of money.

·
Registered
11,356 Posts
Your 2017 Pilot has 37K on it, so far.
At that rate, it'll take you about 20 more years to reach 240K.
Do you really expect to keep it that long - and will you still be wrenching on it?
Probably not. Your picking on my weakest Honda vehicle. An owner is handed the key fob of a new 3rd gen Pilot and shot in the foot at the same time.

·
Registered
11,356 Posts
This is the Pilot forum.
You have only one Pilot listed in your signature.
Is there another one that you haven't told us about?
No. Guess I'll have to pack my bags. So long folks.

Reactions: aggrex

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
This the MY 2012-2015 section of the forum.
Well at least now you know the origins of the 120 month Honda coolant recommendations. Based on your low mileage Pilot you should be heading for your third TB and second coolant flush according to the maintenance schedule.

121 - 140 of 224 Posts