Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

41 - 60 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
Ah, a nice, easygoing antifreeze (that's what coolant is called in the Great White North) thread. A relaxing change from a high-strung, contentious oil thread, I thought. :p

So I'd like to throw this into the proverbial (50/50 :)) mix: Are we being duped by this product or is it a solution that all can agree upon? It's blue and it says OEM. :)

OEM Extended Life BLUE I Antifreeze/Coolant - Anti-freeze, windshield wash, solvents, Global supplier of automotive liquids & household chemicals - Recochem Inc.

Sold, among other places, at...

Ya, I thought only DW-1 versus MaxLife could cause a ruckus.

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
Here is the new label on the back of the new improved Prestone Concentrate. Pick it apart if you like. What I think is the important thing to note.., compatibility with OAT and HOAT. These are Honda specs if I'm not mistaken. And mix with DISTILLED WATER ONLY. Tap water is not ok.
🏃‍♂️🔫🗡

I'm all in on mixing my own 50/50 for under $6 a gallon! And a masked Wal-Mart employee put it in the back of the Pilot for me 😊.
Mr El Chepo here 🙋‍♂️

Reactions: plplplpl

·
Registered
4,533 Posts
Mr El Chepo here 🙋‍♂️
Is that the middle ground between El Chapo and El Cheapo? :p

Because you cut your product with 50% distilled water?

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
If you're mixing your own, why not go with a 60/40 coolant/water ratio?
If you check my vehicles with a tester, it's probably more like 60/40 to 70/30.
The bottles I got today are going into Nissan NVs. Replacing old Nissan blue.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I would just use the factory coolant. It is changed infrequently enough under the manufacturer recommendation that the cost is not material relative to the additional potential aggravation. I used to help run the DIY program of a local car club and when I asked most of the mechanics about experience with coolant (water pump, hoses, and belts are a common DIY project) the universal recommendation was to use the factory stuff.

This is one reason we thinned the car herd years ago. You find yourself asking somewhat nonsensical questions about how to save money maintaining an excessive number of vehicles when the real answer is to cut the number. Unless you are Jay Leno or independently wealthy. Or you have a business and the vehicles are used in the business. But then I would hope you have some help with maintenance as your focus should be on the business.

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
I would just use the factory coolant. It is changed infrequently enough under the manufacturer recommendation that the cost is not material relative to the additional potential aggravation. I used to help run the DIY program of a local car club and when I asked most of the mechanics about experience with coolant (water pump, hoses, and belts are a common DIY project) the universal recommendation was to use the factory stuff.

This is one reason we thinned the car herd years ago. You find yourself asking somewhat nonsensical questions about how to save money maintaining an excessive number of vehicles when the real answer is to cut the number. Unless you are Jay Leno or independently wealthy. Or you have a business and the vehicles are used in the business. But then I would hope you have some help with maintenance as your focus should be on the business.
I'm not advocating anyone following my lead. Especially if your vehicle is under waranty.
I'm caring for 9 vehicles (business and personal) of various makes. Most of them are with high milage. Secretly, millions of people are driving around with Prestone Antifreeze in their vehicles, knowingly and unknowingly. I'm just letting it be known, and that you got nothing to fear. This is not a new experiment. I have vehicles that have gone the test of time with no issues. And I'm not one to fool myself into thinking I did a cooling system flush by a drain and fill during a timing belt water pump job. I want the old stuff out. Completely out. I'm not doing a system flush with 50/50. Nor am I taking 9 vehicles to the stealership to have it done.

·
Registered
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
1,908 Posts
Here is the new label on the back of the new improved Prestone Concentrate. Pick it apart if you like. What I think is the important thing to note.., compatibility with OAT and HOAT. These are Honda specs if I'm not mistaken. And mix with DISTILLED WATER ONLY. Tap water is not ok.
🏃‍♂️🔫🗡
View attachment 136172
I'm all in on mixing my own 50/50 for under $6 a gallon! And a masked Wal-Mart employee put it in the back of the Pilot for me 😊.
Mr El Chepo here 🙋‍♂️
If you read the Guarantee carefully it states that the coolest will last 10 years or 300,000 miles. It doesn’t say squat about the vehicle or the cooling system.

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
If you read the Guarantee carefully it states that the coolest will last 10 years or 300,000 miles. It doesn’t say squat about the vehicle or the cooling system.
I would assume that would mean the coolant will do it's job for 10yr/300k .

·
Registered
4,533 Posts

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
OK, here we go again! :p

"For all makes and models"
I wonder if it's red like Toyota coolant? Gotta be good because its red. Red = extra warmth in a harsh winter.

Reactions: plplplpl

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
I would assume that would mean the coolant will do it's job for 10yr/300k .
Are you also assuming that Prestone will repair you engine if it doesn't. Remember the old saying about the word assume. 😆

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
Are you also assuming that Prestone will repair you engine if it doesn't. Remember the old saying about the word assume. 😆
10yr/300k mile guarantee means Prestone will continue to perform. Protection against freezing and boiling. Protection against corrosion and pitting. I doubt I'll own any of these vehicles in 10 years that I put this stuff in. I just need 3-5 years. Maybe Jesus will return by then ☺.

·
Registered
4,533 Posts
10yr/300k mile guarantee means Prestone will continue to perform. Protection against freezing and boiling. Protection against corrosion and pitting. I doubt I'll own any of these vehicles in 10 years that I put this stuff in. I just need 3-5 years. Maybe Jesus will return by then ☺.
Well, you never know. You might end up needing to last that long or even longer. Or less. :)

Mark 13:32

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Me, I'm just going keep on keeping on with my normal program, Flush and fill with new coolant every 3 years, unless I see any unsettling color changes before the 3 years. Regular maintenance and car care is what got me a ridiculously excellent amount in trade in on my 2013 Pilot.

But then, my fleet consists of a 2020 Passport, a 2016 Nissan Rogue (wife's car) and the 3/4 ton Pickup.

·
Registered
4,533 Posts
It's also nice when you can time it to combine it with a timing belt job or a radiator replacement.

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
41 - 60 of 94 Posts