Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
181 - 200 of 224 Posts

·
Registered
11,316 Posts

·
Registered
11,316 Posts
Even though Prestone now makes a 50/50 Asian Blue, I'm not more inclined to change. I buy Prestone Multi-Vehicle Concentrate because it's a concentrate that I'm currently using it in 6 of the 8 vehicles I maintain. Soon to be 7 of 8. Otherwise, I'd have 5 different bottles of coolant I'd be having to keep. I don't consider Prestone Multi-Vehicle Concentrate as a lesser. It's proven its ability to protect my Honda cooling system very well and has been for a long time with 1000s of miles logged. My water pump still looked brand new last TB WP change.

Reactions: aggrex

·
Registered
9,707 Posts
Even though Prestone now makes a 50/50 Asian Blue, I'm not more inclined to change. I buy Prestone Multi-Vehicle Concentrate because it's a concentrate that I'm currently using it in 6 of the 8 vehicles I maintain. Soon to be 7 of 8.
How often are you changing the coolant in the fleet?
Honda recommends coolant change every 7-years or 105K-miles.
For you, that's an average of only one coolant change for one vehicle each year.
After seven years, the entire fleet will have had its coolant changed once.
Unless, of course, you're putting well over 15K/year on any of those vehicles.
Keep in mind that a Pilot isn't intended for commercial service - and this is a Pilot forum.

·
Registered
11,316 Posts
How often are you changing the coolant in the fleet?
Honda recommends coolant change every 7-years or 105K-miles.
For you, that's an average of only one coolant change for one vehicle each year.
After seven years, the entire fleet will have had its coolant changed once.
Unless, of course, you're putting well over 15K/year on any of those vehicles.
Keep in mind that a Pilot isn't intended for commercial service - and this is a Pilot forum.
This would vary by vehicle. But yes, the vehicles used for business are changed sooner than 7 years. The 2012 Honda Crosstour with the same water pump the Pilot uses of the same year model, is pictured above as a demonstration of how well Prestone Multi-Vehicle Concentrate protected it. Coolant flush on this vehicle would come more often simply because of the need to replace the water pump with a timing belt job. Commercial use or not, 274k miles is 274k miles on a well used Honda V6 2wd serviced with all aftermarket fluids.

Reactions: PLT383

·
Registered
2011 Honda Pilot, original owner
34 Posts
I am fine using Honda OEM pre-mix coolant, and buying it at a Honda Dealership parts counter.

In the 122,000miles I've put on my 2011 Pilot, I've maybe had to top up the engine about 1/2gallon overall (so far). The coolant top-offs have been "a little now and then" usually during the summer, when the A/C is used a lot.

So 1gallon of their coolant to purchase, in 10yrs, makes me feel fine about using Honda's product.

·
Registered
11,316 Posts
I am fine using Honda OEM pre-mix coolant, and buying it at a Honda Dealership parts counter.

In the 122,000miles I've put on my 2011 Pilot, I've maybe had to top up the engine about 1/2gallon overall (so far). The coolant top-offs have been "a little now and then" usually during the summer, when the A/C is used a lot.

So 1gallon of their coolant to purchase, in 10yrs, makes me feel fine about using Honda's product.
I don't have any thing bad to say about Honda 50/50 blue coolant other than the fact it's 50/50. It makes it difficult to do a complete flush of the system, especially if you consider what left in the heater core. The bonus of buying a concentrate is not over paying for a 1/2 gallon of water.

·
Registered
9,707 Posts
I don't have any thing bad to say about Honda 50/50 blue coolant other than the fact it's 50/50. It makes it difficult to do a complete flush of the system, especially if you consider what left in the heater core. The bonus of buying a concentrate is not over paying for a 1/2 gallon of water.
That must be quite the fortune you've racked up by not overpaying for a half-gallon of water once every 7-years/105K-miles for the one Pilot you own.

·
Registered
11,316 Posts
That must be quite the fortune you've racked up by not overpaying for a half-gallon of water once every 7-years/105K-miles for the one Pilot you own.
Every bit adds up.
If you don't mind paying $12.50 for a 1/2 gallon of distilled water in your OEM coolant, I'm not here to stop you, just making you aware.

·
Registered
9,707 Posts
Every bit adds up.
If you don't mind paying $12.50 for a 1/2 gallon of distilled water in your OEM coolant, I'm not here to stop you, just making you aware.
For me, having the timing belt job done (based on time rather than mileage) about every 8-1/2 years, the cost of that $12.50 for a 1/2 gallon of distilled water in the OEM coolant works out to about $1.50 per year.
For that cost, I don't have to worry about disposing of the old coolant.

·
Registered
11,316 Posts
For me, having the timing belt job done (based on time rather than mileage) about every 8-1/2 years, the cost of that $12.50 for a 1/2 gallon of distilled water in the OEM coolant works out to about $1.50 per year.
For that cost, I don't have to worry about disposing of the old coolant.
Yes, we know you don't DIY. You do what you gotta do. I used to pay for a haircut too.

·
Registered
11,316 Posts

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,190 Posts

·
Registered
11,316 Posts
For one thing, that paid for an ultrasonic varmint expeller which could save me a lot more money and frustration,

https://m.aliexpress.com/wholesale/12v+car+mouse+repeller+ultrasonic.html?osf=direct

...and I still had enough left over for Dr. Pepper Date Night with the missus.

View attachment 152421
Nice!
I'd hate to know what 2 jugs of Honda 50/50 blue cost in Canada. Buy a jug of Concentrate plus a jug of distilled water would be a considerable savings on your next coolant flush. Maybe enough for 2 or 3 date nights next time. 😁👍

Reactions: plplplpl

·
Registered
11,316 Posts
  • Love
Reactions: plplplpl
181 - 200 of 224 Posts