Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What’s the groups consensus on zerex blue Asian coolant as opposed to the original Honda blue? Thanks

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
What’s the groups consensus on zerex blue Asian coolant as opposed to the original Honda blue? Thanks
Whats wrong with the blue juice from Honda ?

·
Registered
26 Posts
You change coolant at 105k (or when they do the timing belt as it is a good time to do the water pump as well) and 30k or so thereafter, IIRC. I don't see the benefit unless Honda coolant is priced like gold.

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
The big complaint I have on 50/50 is just that. It's 50/50. Water evaporates leaving a more concentration of antifreeze in your system. In most cases, you only need to top off with distilled water.
OAT antifreeze like Prestone green are perfectly fine (Incoming fire!). I use the concentrate and add distilled. Toyota Red and BMW Blue concentrate are great for Honda. I'm not a fan of mixing brands. I flush completely with distilled water.

·
Registered
6,131 Posts
The big complaint I have on 50/50 is just that. It's 50/50. Water evaporates leaving a more concentration of antifreeze in your system. In most cases, you only need to top off with distilled water.
OAT antifreeze like Prestone green are perfectly fine (Incoming fire!). I use the concentrate and add distilled. Toyota Red and BMW Blue concentrate are great for Honda. I'm not a fan of mixing brands. I flush completely with distilled water.
How often do you need to top off your coolant, and how much do you use?

If you're completely replacing the old coolant, then you need a 50/50 mix at that time.

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
How often do you need to top off your coolant, and how much do you use?

If you're completely replacing the old coolant, then you need a 50/50 mix at that time.
Well in the case of a salvage vehicle, like my 2017 EX-L Pilot, where the radiator was compromised. It was flushed with distilled and filled using Prestone concentrate and distilled water (mixed myself). I also flush with distilled water and use Prestone concentrate when doing a timing belt water pump job. I do these every 90k.
I rarely top off with coolant during the 90k interval (add distilled water as needed). Again, antifreeze does not evaporate, the water does. But if you wanted to check me with an antifreeze tester, I'm probably more like 60/40 than 50/50.

Reactions: RedsPilot

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
How much will I need for the timing belt water pump replacement. And should I pump the coolant out of the heater core too while I’m in there?

·
Registered
6,131 Posts
Well in the case of a salvage vehicle, like my 2017 EX-L Pilot, where the radiator was compromised. It was flushed with distilled and filled using Prestone concentrate and distilled water (mixed myself). I also flush with distilled water and use Prestone concentrate when doing a timing belt water pump job. I do these every 90k.
I rarely top off with coolant during the 90k interval (add distilled water as needed). Again, antifreeze does not evaporate, the water does. But if you wanted to check me with an antifreeze tester, I'm probably more like 60/40 than 50/50.
Then what is the basis for your objection to buying/using 50/50 pre-mix coolant?

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
How much will I need for the timing belt water pump replacement. And should I pump the coolant out of the heater core too while I’m in there?
I pull hoses and drain what I can out. Then with everything put back together. Pour in distilled only and let idle till engine is warm up (monitoring engine temp). After water has circulated for 10 mins or so (knowing the thermostat has been open). Let cool, and drain it out. Then add my home made Prestone mix. Again, I'm mixing more like 60/40 knowing I got water in the block already. If your concerned about your mix. Buy you an antifreeze tester. Yes, I'm old school. I'm maintaining 9 vehicles.

·
Registered
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
1,949 Posts
What year pilot? It should be in the owners manual. My 2020 Passport takes 1,96 gallons.

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
Then what is the basis for your objection to buying/using 50/50 pre-mix coolant?
Convenience, price. I'm maintaining 9 vehicles. Why do I want to buy a bottle of antifreeze with half water? Mix your own. And as I said..., add distilled water from then on, not more antifreeze. Your water evaporated, unless you got a leak somewhere.

·
Registered
6,131 Posts
Convenience, price. I'm maintaining 9 vehicles. Why do I want to buy a bottle of antifreeze with half water? Mix your own. And as I said..., add distilled water from then on, not more antifreeze. Your water evaporated, unless you got a leak somewhere.
Isn't pre-mix more convenient than having to dilute the concentrate?
How does the price of concentrate compare to that of pre-mix?
If you "rarely top off with coolant during the 90k interval", then what's the difference?
With nine vehicles, how often (time-wise) do those 90K coolant flush intervals occur?

·
Registered
639 Posts
I use Zerex Asian in my Hondas without issue. That being said -- The two jugs of OEM Honda Blue needed for the typical 105k mile drain & fill service really aren't that expensive.

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
Isn't pre-mix more convenient than having to dilute the concentrate?
How does the price of concentrate compare to that of pre-mix?
If you "rarely top off with coolant during the 90k interval", then what's the difference?
With nine vehicles, how often (time-wise) do those 90K coolant flush intervals occur?
I do not want to keep Hyundai Nissan Honda antifreeze in my garage when I can carry one kind. That's the convenience.
50/50 mix is really an aggravation. If I need antifreeze I add antifreeze. if I need distilled water I add distilled water. The $ you save buying concentrate, for $3, buy you one of these.

I think most people would discover that their antifreeze is too concentrated because they keep adding more antifreeze with a 50/50 mix, when all they really needed to add was distilled water.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Concur with @Nail Grease as Prestone concentrate is more economical than the premix convenience. Last summer the ‘97 Avalon got new radiator & hoses. After several flushes the engine retained some distilled water so adding half the cooling capacity with concentrate gets me 50:50.

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
I use Zerex Asian in my Hondas without issue. That being said -- The two jugs of OEM Honda Blue needed for the typical 105k mile drain & fill service really aren't that expensive.
Those 2 Jugs of OEM 50/50 Honda blue will cost you $40-50. 1 jug of Prestone Concentrate is under $15. If you have a 2 gallon system..., buy 3 gallons of distilled water for $1 each. Use 2 distilled to flush with. Drain. Add 1 gallon of Concentrate Antifreeze and top off with distilled. I get the job done for under $20. I like saving a $20 bill 😁. If you want your coolant blue..., Buy a 1gal jug of BMW blue concentrate for $20-25. It's recommended for Honda's.

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
1 - 20 of 94 Posts