Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Starting to look into this issue ..ran the tank almost dry ..sputter sputter style ..rolled in the gas station ..the tank topped off at 19.25 Gallons..

Thought this was odd ..i did this test two more times only to come up to 19 gallons or so ..this would tell me I would have a smaller tank than the 21 gallon tank I am supposed to have.

Is there another way I could check to make sure without having to drop the tank ?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Per the Honda Owners website, the capacity is 21 gallons. The most I have ever personally fueled up was 20.334g I find the "Distance to Empty" reading to be pretty accurate.

http://owners.honda.com/vehicles/information/2015/Pilot/specs#mid^YF3H2FEW

·
Super Moderator
15,159 Posts
If you are going until the orange warning light comes on, or range to zero (I don't know if the second gen has that), then you do according to the owners manual still have two or so gallons left in the tank.
It's not healthy for a fuel tank to be run dry. The pump needs the fuel to stop overheating.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If you are going until the orange warning light comes on, or range to zero (I don't know if the second gen has that), then you do according to the owners manual still have two or so gallons left in the tank.
It's not healthy for a fuel tank to be run dry. The pump needs the fuel to stop overheating.
of course not never is healthy to run a pump hot .. Where i Live i have NY on one side and NJ on the other they call they places here boarder towns anyways have a gas station almost every quarter mile ..so i timed it just enough to hit station just a little under the E. ... So this is the norm I take it that i can only max out at 19 gal for these 21 gal tanks even after E .. :)

·
Registered
110 Posts
Owner's manual on my 2009 says 21. When the low light comes on, I put 18 in the tank. 3 gallons of 'reserve' is pretty standard, I thought. It has been in every Honda and Mazda I've driven. I kinda thought it was standard same as 1 quart of volume from low-high on oil dipstick, but who knows.

Obviously how far you can go on the reserve depends on so many factors so that isn't helpful unless you pay attention and know your car well. And for me, the needle on my gas gauge can get below the 'E' and still be running. Same on my Mazda.

Also, I always pay attention to how my car is positioned when I fill it up, so that it leans away from the pump and the nose pointed downward, figuring that leaves the filler neck in the highest position, therefore getting the most full.

I've gone to below zero on the range meter a few times and put in 20 gallons. Even that is somewhat conservative, helping you to not actually run out when you hit 0 miles. but again, gauges and meters and dipsticks and computers are estimates and the real world is sometimes different.

So the best thing is, get gas before it gets low!

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
I can get at least 4 more gallons in after the nozzle clicks off the first time. I hand squeeze the nozzle for slowest flow. Great on longer trips when I can use the extra distance between fills. 500+ miles per tank.

·
Super Moderator
15,159 Posts
That's not a recommended practice as it will mess with the emissions bits in the tank. That said, I've done it myself when prepping for a long journey....

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
It does get into the normal vapor space reserved for expansion. That includes the connection for vapor recovery if you completely fill the space. My tank doesn’t completely fill until a bit more than five-plus additional gallons so I’m comfortable stopping at four. No spills.

Meanwhile, Oregon is one of two states the have mandatory attendant filling, so there isn’t an opportunity to add these last gallons while near home. I happen to be in California today. With gas here some 40 cents higher (ouch!), I’m more likely to short fill, enough to get out but not much more.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I've never done that. I always put the latch thing on and stop when it stops. Like, never ever have I 'topped it up' when putting gas in a car.

Lol, it's just funny how we all do it a bit different, you know?

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I can get at least 4 more gallons in after the nozzle clicks off the first time. I hand squeeze the nozzle for slowest flow. Great on longer trips when I can use the extra distance between fills. 500+ miles per tank.
I think most of us is guilty of this ... :) I never had my tanks range go past 420 mile for range after a full tank fill ...that's even using premium gas here in NJ

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
I was able to do the same with my 2010. As like you, I only did it for a long trip. The extra volume of fuel was used up within the hour.

We have a 2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee now. When that one shuts off when filling, It's FULL. I can't even add 1/2 gallon without it overflowing.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Ruining a charcoal cannister and then experiencing the resulting pain in sourcing and installing it
will cure one of continuing to fill after the auto-fill clicks off. ( Don't ask me how I know this).

This was not in a Honda, but in a couple of different Toyotas I've owned over the years.

However, once burned, twice cautious. If that is a practice you follow, I'm gonna close my eyes and not watch.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
The charcoal canister is located up high in the Pilot. I'm not sure you can get liquid up there without fuel pouring out the filler neck.

Drove from here to Los Angeles on Thursday. Filled-to-click locally. Stopped a little north of Sacramento and filled to click plus 4 gallons. On into Orange County, about 40 miles south of Los Angeles. Showed 1/4 tank and 100 miles range remaining, even after slogging through evening rush-hour traffic. Trip computer showed 28.3 MPG for both legs. Serious headwinds yesterday for the ride back, 20 MPG on the display. Gas was $.45 more per gallon in OC vs here, so I didn't have a lot of incentive to add any extra from OC. Filled again at Sacramento with click plus 4 gallons again, lower costs there out of the basin, and show 1/4 tank and a little over 100 miles remaining distance as I rolled into the driveway. 24.3 MPG on the display. I won't have true trip consumption numbers until I fill again locally to the click.

----

I'm reminded each visit of the extensive list of reasons "why we don't live above Los Angeles any more". I can't taste the air here. The traffic is incredible and getting worse all the time. Plus more... Home next door to my dad's just sold for $1.5mm, and it's being gutted for full rehab, short of full demo and rebuild which they would do except for zoning and setback issues. His was an expensive home at $35k when he bought it 50 years ago. Makes one wonder how a young family can possibly afford to live in the area at all.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts