Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

2009 with 152.5k on it
Misfire on cylinder 1 with flashing CEL and rough running.

Why does it not bode well? I was there about 17K miles ago and had replaced all 6 plugs then.

So have only replaced #1 this time and this is what the replaced looks like. Quite a bit of oil on it.
Wood Office supplies Metal Fashion accessory Font

IIRC Honda did a reflash and were going to do rings around the 90k mark ~2016-2017, on the recall, but they didn't do rings. Looks like they should have. I should probably get the compression checked on cylinder 1 soon. Oh, and the Pilot probably uses a liter of oil every 1000-1200 miles - that's German level of consumption that is!

What does a ring job cost and is it worth it on a 13+ year old Pilot?

cheers
SunnyGL

·
Registered
Home of the 302k 2012 V6 Honda Crosstour
14,121 Posts
Before spending a ton of money on a ring job, I’d recommend disabling the VCM. It ended my oil consumption and my spark plugs are no longer fouled. It saved my engine. I use S-VCM.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Hello all,

2009 with 152.5k on it
Misfire on cylinder 1 with flashing CEL and rough running.

Why does it not bode well? I was there about 17K miles ago and had replaced all 6 plugs then.

So have only replaced #1 this time and this is what the replaced looks like. Quite a bit of oil on it.
View attachment 161543

IIRC Honda did a reflash and were going to do rings around the 90k mark ~2016-2017, on the recall, but they didn't do rings. Looks like they should have. I should probably get the compression checked on cylinder 1 soon. Oh, and the Pilot probably uses a liter of oil every 1000-1200 miles - that's German level of consumption that is!

What does a ring job cost and is it worth it on a 13+ year old Pilot?

cheers
SunnyGL
I will pile on with @Nail Grease. Get a VCM disabler. I also use S-VCM, about $100, and it has worked perfectly for me. Order it online from the Canadian supplier. (Ok, he’s in Quebec, so he’s the Canadien supplier)

Once you shut down the VCM system, your engine will run much better with all 6 cylinders running all the time. Of course, the rings are still gummed up from all the years of VCM. The easiest fix is to go to a frequent oil change schedule and use a synthetic high-mileage oil. Valvoline Maxlife synthetic oil is a good choice. The Hi-Mi oils have additives that can help loosen up the rings.

A more drastic fix for stuck rings is to pour some GM top end cleaner down the spark plug holes and let it set. Don’t go there unless you need to. Good luck.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Before spending a ton of money on a ring job, I’d recommend disabling the VCM. It ended my oil consumption and my spark plugs are no longer fouled. It saved my engine. I use S-VCM.
S-VCM ordered!
Unfortunately, I have a 600+ mile trip coming up starting this Saturday and it's unlikely I'll get the S-VCM by then. What a pity we can't disable VCM directly in the Pilot's computer.

I guess my concern is: how much damage is there to the rings at this stage?

My experience is that VCM gave me about 2mpg on road trips. In 2019, while away, the CEL tripped and so the VCM didn't come on and I was able to monitor mileage for a few hundred miles until I could get the CEL reset.

I've been disappointed with the mileage on my particular Pilot. I can barely get 21mpg on a trip keeping my speed to about 70mph and it's as low as 13mpg around town.

cheers
SunnyGL

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Clean up the plugs with carb cleaner and stiff brush, put them back in and go on your trip. In the mean time drive around town in D3. If you are in slower freeway traffic, D3. .It'll keep the plugs clean enough and reduce the amount of time VCM is active, until you get back from your trip.

Reactions: briantii
1 - 6 of 6 Posts