Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I鈥檓 driving and my brake light (on dash) is steadily lasting longer. From flickering to staying illuminated long.

NOW the rpm? Is like jumping weird. I鈥檒l tap the gas and it would shoot up too quick weird like.

AND THAT BURNING SMELL STINKS!!!! Don鈥檛 know what that smell is but my hood isn鈥檛 smoking so I think it鈥檚 coming from the vents. It鈥檚 like a sweet burn + gas or something

Now the VSA light is on.

THIS CANT BE NORMAL. What should I be checking under the hood?
For the first time in 1yr 2months (Since I bought this used As-is) I鈥檓 getting the Transmission fluid flushed tomorrow馃し馃従And oil change馃し馃従

Attachments

Registered
Make sure whomever changes the transmission fluid that DW-1 is used rather than any shop specials. Ask questions about the color of the old fluid and any debris or buildup on the drain plug. Ask them to check brake fluid, PS, coolant levels. Local auto parts stores offer free scans. Post any codes found. Note: coolant leaks can have a sweet smell to some people.

Registered
Just throwing it out there: test your battery and alternator while you're at it.

Registered
Do you have the parking brake on or could it be stuck/frozen?

I could see how the parking brake could affect the brake light, VSA and throttle/tach...

And burning brake pads - well, yeah - they really stink.

Registered
Oh wait - I just re-read your post - your hood is smoking, or you have smoke coming out from under the hood?

Regardless, check to see if you have smoke coming out of your wheels or if you have fluid on the exhaust.

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
Do you have the parking brake on or could it be stuck/frozen?

I could see how the parking brake could affect the brake light, VSA and throttle/tach...

And burning brake pads - well, yeah - they really stink.
Not on . And it recently started like a week ago. Coincidentally after I had my mechanic do the wheel hub job馃し馃従

Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L
NOW the rpm? Is like jumping weird. I鈥檒l tap the gas and it would shoot up too quick weird like.
Bouncing/Jumping tach (based upon my experience with my 91 Accord) is due to an igniter going bad, which will leave you stranded on the side of the road, and (potentially) unable to the start the vehicle when it goes.

As for everything else that is potentially wrong based upon the cluster, would advise cleaning/verifying all chassis grounds, and find out what the computer itself is reporting via that Check Engine Light using an Bluetooth OBD2 scanner, like this one I've used myself, was only $12.99 USD, and opens up a plethora of different software options free & paid to help you troubleshoot issues.

Registered
Not on . And it recently started like a week ago. Coincidentally after I had my mechanic do the wheel hub job馃し馃従
If that rear hub work was done correctly and the reassembly of that brake system on that side of the Pilot should not be causing current issues.

Registered
Discussion Starter #9
Bouncing/Jumping tach (based upon my experience with my 91 Accord) is due to an igniter going bad, which will leave you stranded on the side of the road, and (potentially) unable to the start the vehicle when it goes.

As for everything else that is potentially wrong based upon the cluster, would advise cleaning/verifying all chassis grounds, and find out what the computer itself is reporting via that Check Engine Light using an Bluetooth OBD2 scanner, like this one I've used myself, was only $12.99 USD, and opens up a plethora of different software options free & paid to help you troubleshoot issues.

Igniter? You mean spark plug? If so yeah..I gotta go get them replaced. Bought the car at 205k Now at 237k with no parts replaced or transmission fluid change馃う馃徔

Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L
Igniter? You mean spark plug? If so yeah..I gotta go get them replaced. Bought the car at 205k Now at 237k with no parts replaced or transmission fluid change馃う馃徔
Another term would be Ignition Control Module, however that's based upon my experience with distributors (and was inside them), which these Pilot's don't use. I know they are Coil on Plug, but am unsure of how/where they are getting their input power from. I presume there is another module between the Coils and ECU (someone else on here might be able to provide further insight).

Registered

(y)(y)

Registered
Discussion Starter #12
This morning when I started my car it made that noise. Best way to explain it was like a lion purring 馃し馃従馃憖馃憖

1 - 12 of 12 Posts