• no

Votes: 54 64.3%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since the Pilot was trumpeted for having the extra third row of seats, I was wondering: Do you use the back row seats on a regular basis?

We try to, and have noticed, for example, poorer climate control, specifically with the AC.

IF yes, you use the seats, have you had problems back there?

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
No ... no problems ... given that they are folded down and covered with the cargo tray ... I haven't even taken the headrests out of the plastic wrap yet ...

PrG

·
Registered
900 Posts
The Pilot specifically got our attention because of the third
row seating. So that we can load up the luggage, drive to Florida
with two kids, dump the luggage, then flip up the seats and
take the relatives out to dinner in one vehicle (kids in back).
I wouldn't take fullsize adults in it for a long trip but it seems
perfect for what we want.

·
Registered
290 Posts
I think the third row of seats is an awesome feature. My wife and I have no kids and I have and will almost always keep the third row folded down. But since I bought mine (6/3/2002), I have used the third row 3 times.

My Parents and my wife's parents were going out to dinner, and rather than taking 2 or 3 cars, we picked everybody up in the Pilot.

The other two times were when a group of us at work were going out to lunch together. In the past, the most that could go in the same vehicle were 5. We packed 8 in last week.

If the seats really seemed to cut into cargo capacity, then I would not have been so happy with them. But since the cargo capacity is (or at least feels) larger than the capacity in the Jeep Grand Cherokee that the Pilot replaced, I am very happy with having the option of the third row seats.

·
Registered
664 Posts
So far we have had the Pilot going on 5 weeks and used the third row once a week. In between I usually keep it folded. I haven't noticed any general changes in the temp but I also would not expect the temp in the second row to be the same as the third. The third row is farther back. I grew up with a custom van (full size) that had to wait for the air from the front to reach the rear, now that is a temperature change.

The biggest problem is forgetting to use the side handle to let people back there so the seat slides forward.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Like to show them off..

We don't use the 3rd row seats to sit in, however we do love to show our neighbors and friends how easily they deploy and how flat they fold down when not in use. That alone is worth having them.

:)

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have a child's car seat installed in the single 3rd row seat on the passengers side and another child's car seat installed in the center of the 2nd row seat. I leave the drivers side 3rd row seat folded down for cargo and I usually just leave the passenger side second row seat folded down so I can get at the car seat in the back. This way I have 2 car seats installed but I still can take 2 extra adults in the 2nd row seats and I still have plenty of room for cargo. I'd be interested to know how others with 2 car seats have their pilot's set up.

·
Registered
1 Posts
CAR SEATS

We have both car seats in the second row--one on the passenger side and one on the driver side. I just don't feel comfortable putting the car seat in the third row because of how close the third seat is to the back window. We can fit one person in the second row between the car seats and use the third row for additional people if needed. Otherwise the third row is down for strollers, diaper bag, etc.

·
Registered
592 Posts
We haven't had the 3rd row up much at all.. Only once when our daughter wanted to particularly sit in the 3rd row 'just to get in that seat from the back (cargo)'

Otherwise most of the times its folded flat. But its a great option to have, no doubt even for that occasional visit by parents (which makes the total number of people in the car to 6 and then one of our daughters will move back to the 3rd row (40%). And still have cargo space for luggage etc.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Third row

It's folded down for the most part. However, it was REALLY COOL to have me and my wife, our two kids (both in car seats), my brother and sister-in-law, and my parents in one car for the fireworks on the 4th of July.

Much less of a hassle than taking two cars and everyone had a blast in one vehicle......like a "mini" road-trip!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Third row

One of the biggest features that made me wait for the Pilot was the third row.

Comes in handy for trips to the movies with several kids, and for short trips with adults.

No its not as big as a Surburban/Tahoe class vehicle, but I don't need the extra room every day, but I do need a relatively large vehicle that is EASY to drive everyday. There is no way my wife would drive anything in the next class (Tahoe/Suburban etc). We both love the size of the Pilot and feel that it doesn't drive as large as it looks/is.

As far as adults in the back seats if necessary, they can take it or drive themselves. Not to be rude, but I certainly wasn't going to buy something so large that I wouldn't want to drive it everyday, for the comfort of passengers that may ride along a few times a year at most.

For me it was a no-brainer to buy the Pilot over Pathfinder, Highlander etc.. I have more cargo room with the third seat down and have the option of using the third seat when necessary.

·
Registered
33 Posts
My wife is a girl scout leader and we can stuff 6 plus 9 and 10 year old girls in the back two rows - more than we could fit in our Odyssey. But, since the Pilot is a 5 passenger vehicle normally, we leave the third seat down in normal driving - which also gives us more usable storage space than the Odyssey, since leaving that third seat down meant it was only a 4 passenger vehicle.

·
Registered
26 Posts
My main reason for getting the pilot was to have seating for more than 5. I use the 3rd row 2 or 3 times a month. When I need the 3rd row it is great to have it, but when I don't it is safer for my kids to be in the 2nd row so that is where they sit.

·
Registered
310 Posts
njpilot said:
Since the Pilot was trumpeted for having the extra third row of seats, I was wondering: Do you use the back row seats on a regular basis?

We try to, and have noticed, for example, poorer climate control, specifically with the AC.

IF yes, you use the seats, have you had problems back there?
I notice an interesting "feature" related to climate control in the "way back" (i.e., the 3d row). In our EX, if, in a/c mode, you select floor air only (where the arrow on the display points only at the floor of the sitting human icon) you get rather significant air blowing under the 2nd row seats to the feet of the people in the way back.

Understandibly, if you select to have the a/c in the front and rear to come out of only the face vents, you get no air pumped directly to the way back. What does not seem right is that if you select "bi-level" air (i.e., air on the feet and on the face), the way back get sno air under from under the 2nd row seats. It seems the only way to get direct air flow to the way back is to have everyone's feet cooled--and no one's faces.

To me it seems strange that in "bi-level" mode you get no air to the feet of the way back.

·
Registered
35 Posts
We have used the 3rd row quite a few times in the month we have had the Pilot. My son had quite a few of his friends pile in for a trip to the mall on the first week. We have used it to take 8 of us for a quick trip down to the beach for a concert by the Association 10 days ago. It does come in handy.

:4:

Henry

·
Registered
9 Posts
The third row of seats was the principal reason we bought our Pilot. We had been considering minivans, but my wife simply wouldn't accept the Odyssey ("too ugly"), and I wouldn't go for the inferior Sienna. With the Acura MDX going for way over MSRP in the metro Boston area, getting the Pilot at MSRP was an easy way out of our dilemma. (Our sales guy was Nick Kapanides at Honda Village in Newton Corner, who was pleasant to deal with.)

With three children, having the 5-year old and the 3-year old on separate rows of seats is a blessing. (I almost drove off the road a couple of times while trying to stop them fighting in the back of our old Civic.)

Rob

·
Registered
49 Posts
3rd Row seats are necessity for us.

The 3rd row was definately a selling point with my family. The next was the safety/value/performance/dependability of the Honda name. The Pilot really had no SUV competition in this area for it's price range.

The third row seats will be used quite often by us. The birth of my son back in February motivated us to purchase a larger vehicles. I traded my BMW M Roadster in on an M3 Sedan. We traded in my wife's 2000 Maxima SE on the Pilot. We also have my mom and uncle living close (both elderly and don't drive) which means we need the extra space to transport them and our son and a future baby in the next couple of years on a weekly basis.

·
Registered
138 Posts
The 3rd roll seating is very useful to me.

I have a big family. So, I have a choice of either getting a minivan or a 7 passenger SUV. I vote for a SUV.

So far Honda Pilot is my best choices.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts