·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
Relax

The web is a wonderful place; but I can find articles just as scary about Tylanol, NeutraSweet, and most organized religions.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Makes sense

The closer to the point of impact the greater the damage, to car, people whatever. There ain't much back there.

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
Yes, but

lamuncha said:
The closer to the point of impact the greater the damage, to car, people whatever. There ain't much back there.
You are well above bumper height, and there is a good bit of body and frame that would have to deform before you got that far in.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Lies, d*&^ed lies and statistics

From the article:"There were 2.3 million rear collisions in 2000, according to the latest-available federal statistics. That was 21.7% of all crashes. There were 2,980 fatal rear-end wrecks in 2000, 6.2% of all fatal collisions"
and
"The third row is pretty vulnerable to rear-enders - like about twice as dangerous" as other rows"

:rolleyes: So rear-enders account for 20% of all accidents, but only 6% of fatal accidents. Lets ignore that some of those fatalities might have been from third row occupants. If "twice as dangerous" means twice as likely to result in a fatality, then 12% of all fatalities could be attributed to rear-enders, but still 20% of all accidents. Since that's less than 20%, it still stands to reason that a rear-ender in the third seat results in fewer fatalities than some other seating positions and accident types.

:confused: Or not, since the article really doesn't supply any MEANINGFUL statistics.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Yeah duh, anyone with any kind of intelligence could see that theres not much room between the rear door and the third row seat. Therefore common sense would dictate, that a significant rear hit to the vehicle could cause significant harm. I really don't need a bunch of half wits telling me that. I bought the pilot mainly for the reason that Honda IMO is very concerned about safety, and for the third row seat. But my kids are going to be in the middle seat, and I plan to use the third row only when called for. I just like to know it's there when I need it. Just like having four wheel drive, we don't use it that often but it's a great feature when I need it.

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
Re: Lies, d*&^ed lies and statistics

Was about to use that quote then saw your subject, so;

Statistics don't lie, liers use statistics!

·
Registered
900 Posts
Yes, and those sitting in window seats are more vulnerable in a side-impact collision, and those in the front seat are more vulnerable in a head-on collision. Anything we do makes us more vulnerable to SOMETHING.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
I liked the quote from the guy who said: "A rear-end collision is one you don't control. Somebody drives into you while you're sitting at a light or something. In front, I can see what's coming and try to avoid it,".

So I guess when you are stopped you are totally at the mercy of what is coming up behind you ?? Well that's one way to drive, putting your life in the hands of the "great road gods" when you are stopped. I suppose this guy also drives straight through an intersection on a green light without checking for traffic running the red. Me, I prefer to always ensure that I have an "out" when I am stopped so that if I see some idiot coming up behind me I can get out of the way. A little defensive driving doesn't hurt once in a while.

My father said three things to me about driving that I'll always remember:

1) when you are driving you are driving your car and all of the other cars on the road, you have to think for the other drivers because chances are that they aren't thinking;
2) there is the law of the road and the law of physics. Whenever they conflict the law of physics prevails.
3) don't stand up in a canoe, they tip over.

Well he didn't say the third thing but I guess it is as much of a revelation as is the fact that rear seat occupants in a vehicle are more at risk in a rear end collision.

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
My dad always said that both parties are always at fault in an accident.
I would say about 99% of the time that is true.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I've been "involved" in two accidents. Both times I was sitting in traffic at a light behind another car and someone who was not paying attention ran into me, or in one case ran into the car behind me with enough force to cause it to hit my car. I was far enough back from the cars in front of me to not hit them, but other than that I don't see how I could have avoided those accidents. In a lot of cases defensive driving will keep you from being involved in an accident, but it is foolish to think that you are invincible. Having said that, I agree that you shouldn't panic about using the third row of seats. As other have said just use them wisely, only when you really need them, and make sure you use the headrests. Another article I read said that some of the third row injuries are kids hitting their heads on the back windshield because the headrests were not used properly.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have personally avoided being rear ended twice by honking my horn at people behind me. It worked both times!

Once, I was sitting at a light near a high school. School was letting out and some idiot in a pickup is speeding toward my rear end with his head turned looking at one of the school girls. I'm watching him in my rear view mirror and I laid on the horn and he looked up and slammed on the brakes with just enough room to come to a stop. The other case was similar.

I have always thought a good safety feature would be for the front parking lights to come on with the brakes. Like front brake lights. That way you would know if someone coming behind is stopping.

Oh yes, I believe in defensive driving. It has saved me from many crashes. I refuse to be a victim of those idiots.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Oh, one more thing. Those 3rd row head rests are lame! I don't think we will ever use them. I mean, we will never stick anyone taller than four feet back there, so what good are head rests? Their heads won't reach that high!:1:

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
What if???

What if there was a bar across the rear hatch similar to the bar now required in all other door systems to reinforce it and provide improved "penetration" protection in case of a rear end collision???

What if there were "rear deployment air bags" similar to the side air bags now on our Pilots to protect occupants from striking the rear hatch area???

Would you buy it if it were an option???

Just a thought...

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
I don't think so

Pilot pilot said:
Oh, one more thing. Those 3rd row head rests are lame! I don't think we will ever use them. I mean, we will never stick anyone taller than four feet back there, so what good are head rests? Their heads won't reach that high!:1:
I think even a 4' kid's head might be above the top of the seat.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
A thought-provoking article, but the risks are overstated. From what I've read, one big risk is the seat collapsing backward toward the point of impact. Since most people put children in the 3rd row, their lighter weight makes it much less likely that the seat will collapse. And, of course, if the kiddos are in carseats they have the protection of the carseat shell as well. If and when I get a Pilot, I don't plan to use the 3rd seat on a regular basis, but I won't have any qualms about occasional use.

Now, if you want to read some *really* scary stuff, take a look at this: http://www.dhmo.org

·
Registered
23 Posts
Page 4 of 6

Did anyone actually read this entire article? Are they actually saying on page 4 of 6, that Honda's seats are LESS THAN twice the federal standard???:3: How can they do that and get away with it? Unless I am really being dense here and missing something. I HAS been a long week!

Thanks,

Cindy

·
Registered
15 Posts
Re: Page 4 of 6

FamilyOf4 said:
Did anyone actually read this entire article? Are they actually saying on page 4 of 6, that Honda's seats are LESS THAN twice the federal standard???:3: How can they do that and get away with it? Unless I am really being dense here and missing something. I HAS been a long week!

Thanks,

Cindy
:rolleyes: Less than twice is still more than once so it exceeds the standard.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Re: Re: Page 4 of 6

gwettle said:
:rolleyes: Less than twice is still more than once so it exceeds the standard.
What? Less than twice IS still more than ONCE but if so then it's still less than the standard! I think that's what's being said there anyway... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Let's try it this way. If the standard is 2 and Honda is 3 than they are less than twice the standard which would be 4.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts