Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The dilemma,

I am finding it difficult to decide between a Pilot and a Odyssey. I like the room that the odyssey provides, but I also like the SUV look and the VTM-4 of the Pilot.

My Needs,

I need the capacity of carrying 6 adults on a occasional WA-CA or WA-BC road trip. By occasional I mean maybe twice a year or so.

What I ask from you is that if you can be kind enough to take a picture of the thirdrow seat with the middle seat adjusted to take three 5' 7" adults. I want to see how much leg-room is left over for the third row seat and would it be enough to have one adult ride back there for a somewhat lengthy trip, with probably 200-250 mile stops. And also take a picture of whats left over in the cargo area.

I ask this because there is no pilot left over at my local dealership and the last one I drove, I didnt get the chance to check those things out.

Please help and thanks in advance.

·
Registered
509 Posts
I haven't received mine yet, but for those owners, correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe that the second row is adjustable front-to-back, with the exception that the seat backs recline.

·
Registered
34 Posts
can't take pics right now as my wife has the car ...

if memory serves, the second row does adjust a little bit.

honestly, though, the odyssey likeley has more room for the long trips. the Pilots third row is fine for an adult or two but i wouldn't want to be back there for an extended period of time.

·
Registered
106 Posts
re Third Seat

The 2nd row only reclines by a few inches. You cannot move it forward or backward.

I'm 6 feet tall, and I can sit 3rd row with one kid on either side. My knees touch the back of the 2ond row. I would not want to sit there for 250 miles though! The storage is enough for blankets and 1 large suitcase standing up. It is not enough to haul luggage for 6.

BUT, get what YOU want, not what THEY want. My wife said when we bought the pilot, 85-90% of the time, we will not use that third seat, so why buy the oddessey for the 10-15% of the time you might need extra space.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: re Third Seat

smitman said:
BUT, get what YOU want, not what THEY want. My wife said when we bought the pilot, 85-90% of the time, we will not use that third seat, so why buy the oddessey for the 10-15% of the time you might need extra space.
Thats why I am considering the pilot over the odyssey because I like the way the pilot looks. But it would still be nice to have a the third row seat incase you need it.

·
Registered
106 Posts
re: the third row seat incase you need it

Thats what I consider the 3rd row, as an "in case you need it" seat. Or for those under 6' tall.

If you are driving in any snow areas, the pilot decision is pretty much a no brainer other than the extra cost.

But, hey - Ody or Pilot, Honda is fab.

·
Registered
23 Posts
The second row cannot be adjusted front to back without the aid of power tools, as far as I can tell. The second row has held a 5'-4" person and two 6-footers for a 40-minute trip without complaint, though I doubt the 6-footers had much legroom. The 3rd row seat has regularly been used for 5'-4" people and they seem fine with it. Anyone much taller would find it pretty uncomfortable. I can report that someone 6'-4" can actually squeeze into the third row, but that's only with knees in mouth and you don't want to travel far like that.

So, to answer your question, if the unlucky 3rd row adult is about 5'-4", you should be OK as far as the people go. With respect to the luggage, you won't find much room behind the 3rd seat. If you split down the 60 side of the 60/40, you might have enough room for your luggage.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Couldn't you use that switch on the side of the second row seat, and leave it forward for extra space, or is that not safe? Just a thought.

·
Registered
486 Posts
RENT!

By what you want as a daily driver and rent a Suburban or something for those very occasional road trips. Split the cost and save the wear/tear on your Honda!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
njpilot said:
The second row cannot be adjusted front to back without the aid of power tools, as far as I can tell...
njpilot, can you tell me a bit more about what you have in mind there?

·
Registered
126 Posts
Seating

Here's how I use my Pilot. We have two children, a son age 4 1/2, and a daughter age 1. I always keep the kids car seats on the 40 side of the 40/60 split seats....hence they are both on the "passenger side" of the Pilot. My son has a booster seat in the 3rd row facing forwards, and my daughter has a baby car seat facing to the rear. I even keep the headrest off so they can look at each other when traveling. When I need to transport something large, I can use 60% of the possible storage by folding down the 2nd and 3rd row seats....without ever having to pull out either child carseat. It's VERY EASY to get both kids in, I can put my daughter in her seat easily from either rear side door. I put my son in from the "driver side" rear door. With the running boards, he can actually do everything himself except slide the seat forward. When he's in his booster, it's very easy for me to buckle him in from the second row by leaning back into the 3rd row. A few weeks ago, I had to take my whole family, including my wife's parents to the airport. It was PERFECT!!! I drove, wife sat in the front passenger seat, the kids were in their regular seats, wife's parents were in the 2nd row next to our daughter, and we split the 3rd row down for the luggage. As I drove to the airport, I could help but think the Pilot was made for our exact configuration. DAMN I LOVE HONDA'S!!!!

·
Registered
266 Posts
There is no comparison between the two as far as space and comfort. The 2nd seat in the Pilot is not adjustable and that leaves a 3rd seat suitable for children. I am 6'2" and getting into the third seat is difficult and sitting in it is worse. Also, the middle position of the 2nd seat is less comfortable than the side postions due to the fold down tray. I would say that there are 4 comfortable seats in a Pilot versus 7 in an Odyssey. This is just my opinion based on comparisons at the dealer which you can do yourself. If a seat seems tight after 5 minutes think how it would be after 30 minutes. Our three kids are willing to put up with anything to avoid a minivan so we ordered a Pilot. I'm sure there will be times we will miss the extra space of the Odyssey, but you have to look at how what you use on a daily basis.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Brett727272 said:
Couldn't you use that switch on the side of the second row seat, and leave it forward for extra space, or is that not safe? Just a thought.
That switch releases the seat so it will come forward, but the seat only locks into place in one location, the fully back location. So, while you wouldn't have to push it all the way back, it inevitably will on its own when people sit down.

As mentioned by another poster, you can alter the tilt of the second row seat backs. There appears to be 4 positions. The third row has 2 seat back positions.

- Rick H

·
Registered
33 Posts
Had an Odyssey

Got rid of our Odyssey EX to get a Pilot. Reasons:

1. In normal use, Pilot holds 5 passenger with 3rd row down, versu Odyssey at 4 passenger with 3rd row down. This also means I can more often leave the 3rd row down, which gives me more effective storage than the Odyssey with the row up.
2. The auto doors are nice for little kids, but a real pain otherwise. You have to be in park or it's beep-beep-beep. If someone flicks a handle while you press the control, it's beep-beep-beep. They're slo-o-o-w and heavy if you turn off the auto controls. And they need adjust and maintenance.
3. The Odyssey does not comfortably seat 6 adults for long drives. The third row bench is not nearly as comfortable as the 2nd row captain's chairs - and the 2nd row really can't seat three people at all. So the Pilot's 3rd row, which is marginally less comfortable is really a wash.

Negative: The Pilot EX has a tray in the middle of the 2nd row that makes the seat less comfortable. On a long trip with multiple adults, I would rotate people's seating so they all share the best and worst.

·
Registered
23 Posts
GhettoMax said:

njpilot, can you tell me a bit more about what you have in mind there?
Just a flip way of saying YOU CAN'T adjust them. without chopping up your car -- then, I guess, you'd have a Chevy.

Though we love our Pilot, one other note to factor into your decision is climate control. The A/C, we found, simply doesn't reach back to the third row effectively, and if you're making that long trip in July or August, you might have some pretty unhappy passengers.

(For more on this and other possible seat configurations, check out the Third Row thread I started in the Polls section.)

·
Registered
232 Posts
My parents have an Ody and we have a Pilot. We've taken the Ody on many long trips with them in total comfort and always had room to spare any extra luggage. We've had anywhere from 4 to 6 people and were totally comfortable.

While the Pilot does have a lot of room in the back I probably wouldn't want to ride in the third row for an extended length of time. A smaller person may be able to ride with their legs stretched to the side which may be acceptable.

In the end it's your decision and I don't think you can go wrong either way. The Ody is about a foot longer than the Pilot which is where you're going to get the extra room. So if you are leery about driving a big vehicle, the Ody fits the bill. Just another consideration. :D

·
Registered
40 Posts
Pilot vs Odyssey

I would add this:

If you need extra storage space, that is what the roof rack is for!

WeatherTech sells a nice storage "bag", which adds 13 cubic feet....

This should be plenty for luggage, an ice chest, mis-behaving kids.....you get the idea.

I LOVE my Pilot!

My parents have the Od, and it is nice, but it won't make it at the beach, through the snow, or on the deer lease!

My vote (biased) is for the Pilot!

Darren

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Re: Pilot vs Odyssey

texaspilot said:
I would add this:

If you need extra storage space, that is what the roof rack is for!

WeatherTech sells a nice storage "bag", which adds 13 cubic feet....

This should be plenty for luggage, an ice chest, mis-behaving kids.....you get the idea.

I LOVE my Pilot!

My parents have the Od, and it is nice, but it won't make it at the beach, through the snow, or on the deer lease!

My vote (biased) is for the Pilot!

Darren
your point about the snow is well taken, as it snows here during the winter it would be a lot better to have the pilot in that case. Cargo is one of my main concerns, thats why I am curious about those roof rack cargo carriers, I wonder how much cargo they are able to carry (weight wise also)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Rooftop Carrier Link

Here is a link to the rooftop carrier I was talking about, from WeatherTech:

http://www.weathertech.com/store/prodsearch.asp?item_group_id=7

The description does not say how much weight it could hold, but you could call WeatherTech's Customer Service and ask.

I bought my All Weather Floor Mats from them, they are very friendly, knowledgeable, and ship out product in a timely manner.

Back on the note about Pilot vs Odyssey, I would drive both. Pick the one you like the most. Can't go wrong with Honda Quality and dependability!

Hope this helps.

Darren:)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts