Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Put a Curt hitch and Teknosha 7 pin wiring harness on the pilot last weekend.

A couple tips.
First- make sure you clean the heck out of the trailer bolt mounts in the unibody. My 2016 I had to run a wire pipe brush thru 7-8 times on each one to get the bolts to fully seat. I tried running the bolts in with out cleaning and just a little cleaning and would get a few threads and stop dead.

Second- I have seen different answers on moving exhaust and spare tire for install. I was able to install with lowering the tire halfway and not touching the exhaust. I did have to put the side over the exhaust (passenger side) up first from the side over the exhaust then lift up the drivers side.

Third- I did it by myself would recommend a helper. I managed using a floor jack to hold the center and couple jack stands to hold either side while I started the bolts.

Fourth- On the wiring the Teknosh T-one instructions call for putting the fuses in before attaching the 7 pin connector to the harness, don't do that. When I plugged in the fuse the bare terminals (not yet in the housing) shorted and blew the fuse as soon as I plugged it in.

Fifth- You don't need to take apart quite as much of the interior as the videos online show, but you will need to loosen the interior quarter trim by removing the tiedown hook and cover grab area.

Sixth- My wife hated the 7 pin harness hanging down on our old Durango with vsible wiring behind it. I had thought about installing a box on the hitch tube and installing it in that, but I noticed the actual Honda hitch uses a custom lower trim piece, and looking online I found a pic of someone who just drilled and installed into the normal lower trim piece. I decided that looked pretty clean and did the same. I was hoping to have it closer to the center but you have limited room and there is really only one spot it fits.

Seventh- Shop around for the hitch. E trailer pricing moves around like crazy some times they are a good deal sometimes not (for instance i missed a great deal on the wiring harness by waiting a day.) When I was ready to order Rock auto had the best price but their inventory was off and they canceled the order. The next best price was U haul (and yes it came branded as Curt not Uhaul) It actually ended up cheaper then rock auto or e-trailer, with free shipping, however they too had inventory issue and I ended up waiting a couple weeks for the hitch (wiring came within a week.)

Hope this helps someone.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Now it’s time to install the tranny cooler for max towing capacity.👌

Reactions: Broncofan214

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Deleted.

·
Registered
2016 EXL AWD Nav with sensing , 2008 Corolla SE
868 Posts
Nice job on that wiring plug and it is good that it is pointing down to allow any water to drain out. Are you going aftermarket or OEM on the cooler? I installed a Derale cooler 6months ago at less than half the price of OEM and it is twice the size. Absolutely no issues with it so far.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Looking for some help locating where to attach Tekonsha harness single blue wire connector. I was able to undo the tape on the main plug, but I don't see anything that would match the other single wire plug. Instructions only mention that this connection is required if the Pilot is equipped with back up sensors. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks. Floor Flooring

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
On the cooler I have been planning on a OEM one just for ease of install (less then 150 bucks at various parts sites) . I towed the first load about 1k lbs of scrap metal over the weekend. Everything worked fine. Notice the trailer more then I did on my old Durango but was great in general. Right now it will be used to haul a small Utility trailer (5x8 1500 lbs capacity) and some of my small boats (heaviest is still only about 2-2.5k lbs on the trailer). Still looking for a small camper which will mean adding brakes and the cooler (I had a potential deal on a hybrid trail cruiser in August but it fell thru). A relative has a small travel trailer (about 18') that they have stored in barn but have not used in 4-5 years I may drive out and take a look to see what shape it's in this spring.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts