Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently so tired of researching 3 row SUVs. We were going to get a VW Atlas, then decided to go Subaru Ascent, and are now focusing on Honda Pilot - mostly because we can buy a used one - the other two makes are so new to the market. I have read some about Pilot - the infotainment issues, some transmission issues, something about no knob for the radio in some. We would want the Captain's Chairs version, so Elite or Touring 7 passenger. We also would be towing our lightweight camper sometimes. Any advice is so greatly appreciated! Thank you.

·
Registered
24 Posts
What year are you looking at? If infotainment is a priority, you basically have to get a 2019+ because it adds a volume knob (wow!) and much improved interface with CarPlay (though this is available on 2017+).

I recently bought a 2019 EX-L and love it. I looked hard at a 2017 Touring but the dated infotainment and slightly dated overall interior were dealbreakers for me.

If you do buy a newer Pilot, ask about whether the fuel injectors have been replaced (under warranty) and if not, get the Honda Certified Warranty.

You’ll also want to research the S-VCM engine mod to disable the 6 to 3 cylinder deactivation system. Makes a huge difference in overall smoothness and performance. Worth it.

Let me know if you have other questions - I’ve owned my 2019 for 2 months and love it.

2019 Pilot EX-L Navi (Black) with SVCM, 30% tint

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2018 Pilot EX AWD
250 Posts
Of the 3, the Pilot will be the most reliable which is saying something. Luckily, the injectors have an extended warranty of 10 years or 150k miles if I remember correctly.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,296 Posts
What do you mean by light weight camper?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We have a 17b Escape - weighs about 2k dry.
I don’t know what years. We went from looking at a new ascent to a 2012 Pilot. I’d like to get a newer one. The no knob sounds annoying.

·
Super Moderator
4,296 Posts
I don’t know what years. We went from looking at a new ascent to a 2012 Pilot. I’d like to get a newer one. The no knob sounds annoying.
Look for an AWD instead of a 2WD then. The AWD can have a max tow weight of 5000 lbs with the proper towing package. installed The 2WD is limited to 3500 lbs. This is for the 3rd generation Pilots.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Look for an AWD instead of a 2WD then. The AWD can have a max tow weight of 5000 lbs with the proper towing package. installed The 2WD is limited to 3500 lbs. This is for the 3rd generation Pilots.
I have the 5,000 lb. max tow limit with my 2 wheel drive after installing the factory transmission cooler. 2019 LX

·
Super Moderator
4,296 Posts
I have the 5,000 lb. max tow limit with my 2 wheel drive after installing the factory transmission cooler. 2019 LX
I would direct your attention to the 2WD column on page 514 of the 2019 Honda Pilot Owners Manual. Specifically the highlighted column regarding 2WD Model Pilots.

·
Registered
2017 Honda Pilot EX
5 Posts
I am currently so tired of researching 3 row SUVs. We were going to get a VW Atlas, then decided to go Subaru Ascent, and are now focusing on Honda Pilot - mostly because we can buy a used one - the other two makes are so new to the market. I have read some about Pilot - the infotainment issues, some transmission issues, something about no knob for the radio in some. We would want the Captain's Chairs version, so Elite or Touring 7 passenger. We also would be towing our lightweight camper sometimes. Any advice is so greatly appreciated! Thank you.
From the research I did when looking for our car, the biggest differences I saw were the ride of the Atlas. People and professional reviewers said it had a rougher ride then the Pilot.

We bought our Pilot 2017 EX with 51k miles. We’ve had it for a few months and put about 1500 miles on it and everything has been perfect so far. I bought the SVCM to help protect from bigger repair issues associated with the 3 to 6 cylinder management system etc. Other than that, I don’t see anything to change. We recently had another kid, so we needed a bit more room. The cargo space is ample. Installing car seats is a breeze too. We haven’t had any infotainment issues as of yet. Sometimes the touch screen lags, but honestly kind of expected it to not work flawlessly.

Not sure about the Subaru Ascent, I didn’t do much looking into it.

·
Registered
2021 EX-L
24 Posts
I've owned several Subarus and test drove the Ascent before buying a new Pilot. Disappointingly did not like the Ascent for a few reasons - driver's seat was awful. The bottom portion has an extension you can slide out for more leg support, but it was very uncomfortable to me. I hated the power delivery from the turbo engine + CVT. The throttle mapping was miserable and made it impossible to drive smoothly. The interior seemed fine and on par with the Pilot. But the Pilot's seats and drivetrain felt so much more refined overall.

·
Registered
3,767 Posts
A '12-'15 Pilot is a great spot to be. Transmissions have no known issues (5 speed auto), the VCM system received revisions that have less issues than earlier models (still suggest deactivating it ASAP) and they really don't have major failure points. The interiors are more than a little plasticky but they are very durable and built way better than our '14 Traverse. All AWD 2nd gens come with the transmission cooler installed so the most you would need to do is get the wiring, but you are already rated to tow 4,500 lbs. The infotainment is a generation older but you can get a carplay/android auto adapter for it.

If he's looking 2nd gen the max was 4,500 lbs ('09-'15). Your specs are for the 3rd gen, 2016+. I know you know this, posting this clarification for OP and anyone else who may stumble on this thread while searching.

·
Super Moderator
4,296 Posts
If he's looking 2nd gen the max was 4,500 lbs ('09-'15). Your specs are for the 3rd gen, 2016+. I know you know this, posting this clarification for OP and anyone else who may stumble on this thread while searching.
Thanks I stand corrected. I never bothered to tow with my 2013 Pilot Touring. I was thinking in terms of my 2020 Passport that like the 3rd generation Pilots has a 5K max tow weight.

·
Registered
52 Posts
You'll want to read up A LOT on this vehicle. I had already been considering and started a few threads. For towing having the Tow Package is a must if you're considering a heavier trailer or load much beyond 2000 -2500lbs. Even without a cooler seems to be be need to keep the fluid from overheating when not towing.

FYI and others you'll have to search for.
My first thread.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You'll want to read up A LOT on this vehicle. I had already been considering and started a few threads. For towing having the Tow Package is a must if you're considering a heavier trailer or load much beyond 2000 -2500lbs. Even without a cooler seems to be be need to keep the fluid from overheating when not towing.

FYI and others you'll have to search for.
My first thread.
Thanks. Did you end up buying one?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Thanks. Did you end up buying one?
No, I am putting it on hold. I am happy with my 4WD Highlander 2012. My wife wanted me to get a newer vehicle with some of the new safety stuff. Eg lane change alert she has on the Sorento SX
Its handy in long drives or busy traffic if someone sneaks beside you. I am a 4WD or AWD must have as well as a V6 engine. No Turbo for me either. Hence the in-depth research. I'll revisit next year as the market is not the best right now price or availability wise. I have 135k km on my Highlander so she's young!! I am not keen at all on a push button transmission but the 6 speed can be had in the EX and EX-L. But tail gate powered and few others wants are only in the EX-L AWD be very careful as is SiriusXM, not available in lower trim at all. Don't know why but they really cheaped out on the head unit. Maybe why there is so much trouble with them across all the years it seems. Edmunds and Consumer reviews mention it consistently. The AWD is likely the best out their if max traction is a must have for where you're driving into.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a 2020 Pilot EXL. It has the radio knob, and I would not own a car without one. I only wish it had a single knob to control fan speed and temperature like my 99 Toyota Avalon did. The temp control paddles, like on many cars today, are far better than trying to touch a screen in the right spot while driving. My only complaint is the hard foam seat bottom. My butt aches on long trips. It is a serious problem for me. Take a long test drive.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Recently bought a 2016 Pilot EX-L. Love the features like backup camera, sirius FM, comfortable for a 5'11" 265 lb man. (but you cannot add Navigation). I towed 2,500 lbs 1600 miles average 14.5 mpg at 60-70 mph with no overheating. Actually temperature gauge was same as without towing. Downside for 2016 is Emission Engine light (yes, covered under warranty to 150,000 miles) which never had with any of my previous Accords.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I had a rental vehicle and needed to go into touch screen deep in the menu to access heated seats and other stuff. Way to complex when driving and even figuring it out sitting.
DISTRACTED DRIVING for sure. I watch out for that now. Dedicated control/buttons needed.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts