Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. We have a 2006 CR-V and are very happy with it. Nearing 200K! We would like a 2015 Pilot (or earlier) we like the look and the extra room. We are in our later 60's and would probably add 60-70K miles in the next 10 years. So we aren't adverse to purchasing one in the neighborhood off 100K. One in particular has caught our eye ... it's a Touring edition. Our criteria are quieter ride, more comfortable seats and leather/heated. The other extras with the Touring are not a draw.
CR gives the 2015 model a good rating.

The one in particular ... at least according to CARFAX ... has 104,500 miles, one owner, and it must have been traded in to avoid the major 105K maintenance (timing belt/water pump). Additionally, looks like the filters were only done once at 90K, auto trans fluid and transfer fluid never done, VTM-4 once at 15K, no spark plugs, you get the idea. Also the oil changes are 11, 20 (maybe), 32, 64 (maybe), 94, 104. I am going to call a couple places tomorrow and inquire. Not sure if HIPPA applies to cars!!!

The used car dealer that has this car wants $19,995. I was thinking if he's willing to do ALL the referenced maintenance items I'd be interested. But I'm wondering IF the Carfax is accurate if that is too much neglect? We did drive it twice and everything seems sweet! Thanks.

Also ... any particular recommendations on extended warranties?

·
Registered
186 Posts
FenwayFrank,
I want to address the title of this post and will let the mechanics on this forum address your mechanical and maintenance concerns. I do not know where you got your list of differences between the EX-L and Touring from, so I wanted to provide you with a full list of what the Touring has that the EX-L does not incase you were unaware of some of the features. Hopefully it will make your decision whether to go with an EX-L vs Touring easier.

1. Parking sensors (my touring is the first vehicle I had with them, and now I can't live without them)
2. Hard Disk Drive (instead of a multi-disk CD changer, it burns the CD's to a hard drive)
3. Sub Woofer and 8.1 Dolby Pro Logic Surround Sound (Im a musician and being able to listen to tunes in surround sound while driving is amazing)
4. Navigation and Bluetooth (I do not remember if bluetooth is available on the EX-L)
5. Because it has navigation, all controls in the center stack can be controlled by your voice except for the controls that are available on the steering wheel.
6. Sunroof
7. 2nd row sun shades
8. drivers memory seat and driver specific vehicle settings linked to the key (Key/Driver 1 and Key/Driver 2).
9. Power tailgate
10. Open/Close all windows including sunroof with the key
11. I do not remember if the EX-L came prewired for towing, but the touring does.
12. Rear entertainment system, but Im sure you are not planning on using that unless you have grandkids...lol

·
Registered
17 Posts
Very nice summary of Touring features.
I’m old fashioned and love the Hard drive feature! Once you load all the music, no CDs 0r music on devices via bluetooth etc. to mess with. This feature is gone after 2015.

·
Registered
186 Posts
4. Navigation and Bluetooth (I do not remember if bluetooth is available on the EX-L)
6. Sunroof
9. Power tailgate
10. Open/Close all windows including sunroof with the key
11. I do not remember if the EX-L came prewired for towing, but the touring does.
12. Rear entertainment system, but Im sure you are not planning on using that unless you have grandkids...lol[/QUOTE]

Navigation is available on the EX-L, but rare. For 2015, Bluetooth was standard on all Pilots.

The 2015 EX-L has both a sunroof, power tailgate, and open/close windows from key.

It does not have trailer pre wiring, but has a hitch. Again, the RES is also available on EX-L but fairly rare.

Lastly, the EX-L doesn’t come stands with roof rails like the Touring (they can be added).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2015 EXL AWD Gray ext Black int
29 Posts
Twenty grand seems like too much for that Pilot. If you are not in a hurry you might want to keep looking for awhile. Maybe you live in an extremely competitive market? In any case, a vehicle is worth whatever people are willing to pay for it. The people on this forum are the most conscientious, smart, and helpful Pilot owners out there - they are not representative on the average owner and will provide valuable advice. It is unfortunate that it apparently has not been maintained as recommended. But, I would still bet that it will last another 70K as you are hoping for in trouble free fashion if you catch it up on all of the missed maintenance and follow the schedule from here on out. To add to ccissna's list, my 15 EXL also has the hard drive.

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
1,691 Posts
EX-L's have bluetooth, hard drive and heated seats. I doubt I'd spend more just for a Touring when there is quite a bit of overlap when it comes to features.

The price seems a little high but Pilots and SUVs in general are worth a lot right now. Not all repair places record to Carfax so I wouldn't be too concerned by the lack of oil changes. The previous owner could have DIYd it as well.

If the dealer is willing to do all of that service for free, I would feel very inclined to purchase that car. Pilots don't require a ton of maintenance in the first 100,000 miles and a little bit of neglect wouldn't concern me too much. (This means I'm not going to pass up a vehicle just because the previous owner didn't religiously follow the Maintenance Minder and get their service done only at the dealer)

Once you change out all the fluids and do the timing belt, there is no reason why the Pilot wouldn't be able to go way past 200k miles without any issues.

Also read up on VCM and consider "muzzling" it. I don't think the 2015s were as affected by it, but it costs $120 and can prevent lots of costly repairs.

·
Registered
10,189 Posts
We would like a 2015 Pilot (or earlier) we like the look and the extra room.

The one in particular ... at least according to CARFAX ... has 104,500 miles, one owner, and it must have been traded in to avoid the major 105K maintenance (timing belt/water pump). Additionally, looks like the filters were only done once at 90K, auto trans fluid and transfer fluid never done, VTM-4 once at 15K, no spark plugs, you get the idea. Also the oil changes are 11, 20 (maybe), 32, 64 (maybe), 94, 104. I am going to call a couple places tomorrow and inquire. Not sure if HIPPA applies to cars!!!

The used car dealer that has this car wants $19,995. I was thinking if he's willing to do ALL the referenced maintenance items I'd be interested. But I'm wondering IF the Carfax is accurate if that is too much neglect? We did drive it twice and everything seems sweet!
I'd be inclined to get a quote from a Honda dealer for the full 105K service and then use that number to negotiate a lower price for the vehicle from the used car dealer, Then, if you buy it, take it to the Honda dealer for the service.

Also, before you buy, check the VIN to make sure that the airbag recalls have been completed.
Recall Information for Safety & Defects | Honda Owners Site

Checking the condition of the cabin air filter can yield another clue to how well - or not - the vehicle was maintained.

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
On the DIY aspect --

Carfax would only show the warranty and recall stuff for my car done at the dealer. Everything else is in the logbook with the car. Resellers are loath to include anything that might link a previous owner to a future owner, so my logbook has no identifying info other than the VIN. There's always the possibility that the car you are looking at has enjoyed some similar life, be it PO DIY or services at places that don't report to Carfax. Carfax is an interesting tool for identifying accident history, but isn't definitive about service history except maybe for dealer services.

Keep in mind through this that the only category you are concerned about are fluid change services. The rest of the services needed are self-evident. The miles-related things like the timing belt and water pump service are obvious. Other wear-related needs like brakes and tires are subjective and easily determined by inspection.

-----

Which to buy: We came into our Touring somewhat by chance. Without getting into that history, the Touring trim level and silver color were determined for us. That said, I'm not at all disappointed with those choices, especially the Touring trim level. Over the years of ownership and from comments here in the forum, the only feature we don't take advantage of is the rear entertainment system (RES). Just this month, as part of the winter season prep, I was rummaging through the rear storage well contents to make sure the batteries in the unused RES IR headsets were not installed and leaking. Those headsets are still in the factory bubble-bags with the uninstalled batteries. For grins, I tested the included batteries and find them still good more than eight years later for my October 2012 build date. There have been numerous questions in the forum about upgrading the entertainment systems to Touring standards, adding factory navigation to non-nav cars, adding roof racks and rails, all the way down to simple stuff like adding the tow wiring. All but maybe the roof racks and tow wiring can be amazingly expensive to upgrade to Touring levels. My recommendation is to look very hard at each Touring-specific feature. If any one of them is something you might ever consider wanting, choose the Touring trim now and never regret it. Ditto the AWD -- unless you live in a place that never sees snow or even serious rain .and. never plan to leave that place in your Pilot ever, make the right decision now.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi all. We have a 2006 CR-V and are very happy with it. Nearing 200K! We would like a 2015 Pilot (or earlier) we like the look and the extra room. We are in our later 60's and would probably add 60-70K miles in the next 10 years. So we aren't adverse to purchasing one in the neighborhood off 100K. One in particular has caught our eye ... it's a Touring edition. Our criteria are quieter ride, more comfortable seats and leather/heated. The other extras with the Touring are not a draw.
CR gives the 2015 model a good rating.

The used car dealer that has this car wants $19,995. I was thinking if he's willing to do ALL the referenced maintenance items I'd be interested. But I'm wondering IF the Carfax is accurate if that is too much neglect? We did drive it twice and everything seems sweet! Thanks.

Also ... any particular recommendations on extended warranties?
I just purchased a white 2015 touring with 68k miles. They wanted 22,945....I paid 21,500. I searched on Carfax.... caravan and everywhere. Check the KBB to see if what they are asking is too much

·
Registered
Glorificatus Oleum Mutante
12,320 Posts
Checking the condition of the cabin air filter can yield another clue to how well - or not - the vehicle was maintained.
What? I thought if it didnt have a set of Mich tires that that was a deal killer?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks everyone. Moving forward with purchase. I brought it to my guy he test drove and put on lift. Blessed it!
Advised me not to dillydally these cars get snapped up. As you know they were redesigned in 2016. The first mate really loves the look.
The owner said the price is firm it's priced accordingly regarding no timing belt and water pump.
New front and rear brakes, tires and all fluids done.
He showed me paperwork from recent auction he attended where he made purchase. There were 45 cars and he eliminated about half immediately from Carfax. Showed me a 2014 Pilot with 53,000 miles. He crossed it off " Dirty Oil".
I then asked about apparent lack of maintenance on Carfax. He said he is sure things were done based on condition of oil and no black or burn on dipstick. I said if I put my skeptic's hat on, "How would I know you didn't buy new dipsticks?" he replied he would have bought the 2014 with 53K and bought new sticks! He said I don't build a good customer base and reputation buying low mileage/dirty oil cars at auction and buying new dipsticks.
He also said he charges his customers $1200 for the timing belt, water pump and spark plugs. He is going to do it and add to price. He charges $99 conveyance fee. Everyone else around is $499 or more. He also does not bake in profit on his financing or warranties either. I know three families that have bought 8 cars over the years. Couldn't say enough positive things. He carefully buys at auction Hondas and Acuras. Inventory averages 20-30 vehicles. Says his cars are priced where they need to be. (I'm thinking based on what he paid at auction maybe? I wonder if he'll go to certain priced knowing he'll sell it?)

I'm comfortable with my decision. Again thanks for your input. Maybe I'm paying a little extra than I might have somewhere else? But maybe I'm ending up with a good car instead of a problem car?

He offers 4 years/48K miles extended warranty from a company called Warranty Solutions for $2100. Three Star Plus is the coverage. (That's the particular package name not the rating)

We anticipate not reaching 200K miles until approximately 2030.

Thanks.

·
Registered
12,320 Posts
He also said he charges his customers $1200 for the timing belt, water pump and spark plugs. He is going to do it and add to price. He charges $99 conveyance fee. Everyone else around is $499 or more.
I'd handle this on my own. Use a dealership for OEM parts or a trusted independent shop using a Aisin TKH002 Timing Belt Water Pump Kit. NGK Laser Iridium spark plugs .

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'd handle this on my own. Use a dealership for OEM parts or a trusted independent shop using a Aisin TKH002 Timing Belt Water Pump Kit. NGK Laser Iridium spark plugs .
Are you saying you would not buy warranty? They do their own service I would be surprised if they didn't used referenced replacements. I will ask. Thanks!

·
Registered
12,320 Posts
Are you saying you would not buy warranty? They do their own service I would be surprised if they didn't used referenced replacements. I will ask. Thanks!
IMO, the only good warranty is a Honda Care warranty. So no, I wouldn't. Especially since he wants to charge you for the previous owners timing belt job.

·
Registered
10,189 Posts
He also said he charges his customers $1200 for the timing belt, water pump and spark plugs. He is going to do it and add to price.
Find out what brand of parts he uses and whether or not the belt tensioners get replaced.

He offers 4 years/48K miles extended warranty from a company called Warranty Solutions for $2100.
Skip the extended warranty and put the $2,100 in the bank.
Draw on it to cover the cost of any future repairs.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Very nice summary of Touring features.
I’m old fashioned and love the Hard drive feature! Once you load all the music, no CDs 0r music on devices via bluetooth etc. to mess with. This feature is gone after 2015.

I just bought my touring a week ago and I’m loving all the extra features. The 2015 model is such a good buy. I do NOT like the new models

·
Registered
191 Posts
I still think that's expensive. Kelly blue book says that your vehicle with those options, mileage, and location (assuming Boston), from a dealer is $16.778.
Kelly Blue Book

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.