Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Honda Pilot EX-L 264k miles (RIP)
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know what's wrong. She started acting up a week ago, kicking on the VTM-4 light while driving and shuddering/sputtering, now kicking the light on seconds after starting. Can't keep a consistent idle. Tried just now after getting off work. Cranked her up, shut it back off, started again and no joy whatsoever. Can't get it to start.

Pour one out for a lost '04 homie. Gonna be a yard ornament until further notice.

·
Registered
11,506 Posts
I'd begin by checking the 3 ground cables/straps.
Battery age and alternator tests.

Reactions: plplplpl

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,188 Posts
Where did the term 'no joy' come from?

I'm now 60, and only heard that term used a few times the last few years.

Anyways, have you performed the VTM4 fluids changes, etc.?

Reactions: Nail Grease

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
The term "no joy" is used mainly by pilots, meaning no success in spotting traffic that ground controllers alert them to.

I believe it was started by British war pilots during WWII when ground controllers directed them to enemy formations. The term "Tally Ho" was used to signify that the enemy had been spotted. I haven't heard many pilots use the "Tally Ho" these days but I've heard "no joy" used more frequently.

It has spread to colloquial speak to mean not successful or didn't work.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,323 Posts
Maintenance, Fester.

Did you abide?

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,188 Posts
The Dude! I'm drinking a White Russian/ Asain American in my house as I type this in his honor!

One of my best old girl friends way named Joy. Joy Lou. What a gal.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
I don't know what's wrong. She started acting up a week ago, kicking on the VTM-4 light while driving and shuddering/sputtering, now kicking the light on seconds after starting. Can't keep a consistent idle. Tried just now after getting off work. Cranked her up, shut it back off, started again and no joy whatsoever. Can't get it to start.

Pour one out for a lost '04 homie. Gonna be a yard ornament until further notice.
I'll avoid the quaint reference to lost British longings--- Your Pilot may have a simple case of high mileage EGR soot deposits. After 150k or 200k miles, the EGR passages in the intake manifold get clogged with carbon. The poor old girl then sends up a flag on the CEL and VTM lights. It's worth checking out. I may be guessing wrong, but I think that you should check this possibility out. It won't cost you much more than an hour's worth of wrench turning. Best of luck to ya. Cheerio!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts