Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

How long did it take you to decide to buy a Pilot?

• One day or less

Votes: 25 16.6%
  • One week or less

Votes: 22 14.6%
  • One month or less

Votes: 34 22.5%
  • Two months or less

Votes: 10 6.6%
  • Between two and four months

Votes: 30 19.9%
  • Greater than four months

Votes: 22 14.6%
  • I\'m still in limbo land

Votes: 8 5.3%
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a confession. I bought the Pilot without doing any research online or otherwise. I had driven and extensively researched other SUVs - Durango, Explorer, but not the Pilot. I decided to test drive it as a last minute thing before picking up the Explorer. It took less than a minute into the test drive to decide I wanted it. As I told my wife: "sometimes you just know." Of course after I came home with my new Pilot I read everthing I could find and was delighted to see so many positive reviews. My test drive certainly agreed with all those reviewers. How long did it take you to decide to buy the Pilot?

One day or less

One week or less

One month or less

Two months or less

Between two and four months

Greater than four months

I'm still in limbo land

·
Registered
919 Posts
About 36 hours. I can tell you that it was a pretty intense 36 hours. My DSL connection was pretty much smoking by the time I got done! My conclusion was actually a dual decision. If I could find a Pilot available within a reasonable amount of time, it would be mine. If not, I would have purchased the Highlander and would have been just as happy. I really do like them both! I did have a time constraint since the transmission in my old car was starting to slip and was really starting to burn oil pretty quick (96 Intrepid, go figure).

Chris

·
Registered
123 Posts
xyzzy said:
I did have a time constraint since the transmission in my old car was starting to slip and was really starting to burn oil pretty quick (96 Intrepid, go figure).

Chris
A person I know says Intrpids or Concords are the Ultimate Road Machine. Plz note that he didn't say they are Ultimate Driving Machine.

·
Registered
919 Posts
pilot03 said:

A person I know says Intrpids or Concords are the Ultimate Road Machine. Plz note that he didn't say they are Ultimate Driving Machine.
I think you may have mis-heard him. He probably said that they were the ultimate blow-by machine. The oil consumption was rediculous!

·
Registered
65 Posts
I am embarrassed to admit....practically no research prior to plunking down our deposit. Our confidence was based on our experience with our Oddy. I had heard about the Pilot on Edmunds & coerced my hubby to go for a Harley ride and just ride by the Honda dealership to take a look. They had 3...all spoken for. We weren't even allowed to sit in them. 20 minutes later we were officially on the waiting list. :D

After that....I had 2 months to wait. During that time frame, I test drove other vehicles and have countless hours in research into the Pilot & a few others that were on the short list.

Not a single regret either!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Wife's vehicle

Well to begin with the Pilot is the wife's vehicle. She wanted an SUV and we began thinking about one in March. We looked around some and she really liked the Highlander. I talked her into waiting for this new SUV Honda was coming out with in June basically to stall her and maybe confuse her to give me some time to lobby for a good American vehicle. She relented and agreed to wait to see if this new Honda was better than the Highlander. The trap was set.

In early June we went by the local Honda shop and they had this new SUV they called a Pilot. I could tell the minute she saw it I was in trouble. And when she got in it and drove it my doom was sealed. She would not even let me talk her into test driving anything remotely different. The Highlander was out and anything remotely resembling a domestic SUV was out of the question.

I held out hope for a couple of weeks and even used the patriotic ploy on her, but she never gave in and we put a deposit on Honda's "new SUV" July 8. We never test drove anything else, but I did hook up with everything I could find written about the Pilot including this site (thank god). We now have Honda's "new SUV" and wife is ecstatic about it. Me too I guess.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I knew i wanted to buy a Pilot even before they were in the showroom. Wife test drove a MDX and one of the salesman there let it slip that Honda would be coming out with a SUV based on the MDX. Then I knew it was time to wait and get more for my $$. Never test drove my first Accord either!!!

·
Registered
180 Posts
Back in March I was close, real close to buying a Mountaineer, like $300 close. If the salesman had just met my final offer I would have signed the papers. Instead he let us walk.

On the way home I saw an MDX. Love at first site. Went to a dealer and test drove it. I loved the ride, it blew the Mountaineer away. The local dealer wanted $1500 above MSRP, but I found a dealer 50 miles away that would sell one at msrp, but it had a 3 month wait. At MSRP it wasn't much more then the Mountaineer.

The Mercury dealership called back and told me that they will meet my price and also would give me a substantial amount for my 1993 Mercury Villager. Too late tho. Not interested.....

Anyway, I heard something about a Honda version of the MDX. I did some research, found what I could and went on faith that it would be real close to the MDX. So in late March I plunked down $500 and 6 months later I drove off the dealership in my Pilot. It was worth the wait.:D

·
Registered
57 Posts
Can I vote twice??

I had been looking for a replacement vehicle for a Plymouth Voyager for about 1year. I had almost given up. I had tried every SUV and found all lacking, mostly in the headroom area. A lot of the ones with the moonroof were too short and brush my hair.

Then my son talked me into a test drive in an Acura MDX. Plenty of room, even with the moonroof. I was in love with the car (not the moon roof). Then I looked at the price. I was love sick.

So I waited till the Pilot showed up at my local dealer. We test drove it on the first day. I was back in love with a different car. Isn't love fickle. And she isn't high maintenance (price or otherwise).

So how long did it take me to decide, just one look after months of waiting.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Four months from hearing about the Pilot to its introduction June 3. Lots of reading on the internet. Then one test drive and I was sold.

·
Registered
991 Posts
Honda quality

Had a 95 civic Si, and 92 Civic EX... both cars were so ASESOME and hardly ever had to bring them in... the service was always great.. and I just ordering a Pilot EX-L based on my experience with Honda.

Hope I am not going to have any problems, but I am sure that Honda will make good to anything that is going to go wrong..

take care
rob

·
Registered
120 Posts
think time

I had been considering the MDX. Tired of minivans, but had to have third row seat. Not at all encouraged by friend's review of his Durango, Blazers not much better. I still like Explorers, but did not care at all for the hoops you have to jump through to get the leather and third row seating. Honda and MDX made it easy. However, try and find an MDX on the lot. They aren't there. Read about the Pilot while on vacation. As soon as we got back, I went to the Honda dealer. Decided then and there, I had to have it. Two months later, it finally arrived.

·
Registered
2003 EX-L (347,000), 2021 AWD Touring 8.
218 Posts
Wishing for a car

We were "building" our Ody online and wishing for an SUV that would seat 8, and last and last. Just then, the first Pilot commercial came on TV, and out jaws dropped.

Sure, I still had to test drive the Pilot, and compare it with other vehicles (Montana 4wd, seats 8), but there was just no comparison. After satisfying my husband's requirement that I be objective, we sought our Pilot.

Overall, one wish, 30 second decision, and lots of shopping around, just to make it look good. ;)

Next, I'm wishing for an 8 bedroom house on the water with pool and tennis court...:26:

·
Registered
27 Posts
love at first site (www not included)

I loved the pilot the first time I saw it. I'm a huge Honda fan, so it wasn't much of a stretch for me. My wife was not as enthused, however. I showed her pictures online, and she was underwhelmed.

We were driving home one day in July, and I pointed out the Pilot in real life. She was so excited that we went to the lot that night. I did some research, and that was that. Our deposit was down within the week.

Now, all you who are wanting the DVD system in a sagebrush EX-L, knock it off. Entertainment is over-rated.

s.

·
Registered
120 Posts
shartwig

quote: Now, all you who are wanting the DVD system in a sagebrush EX-L, knock it off. Entertainment is over-rated.

Looks like somebody is trying to chase away the competition and hedge his bets. Your experience was much like mine. I started with the MDX, but they never had one on the lot. And when they did, they were all sold. Minimum 4 month wait. While on vacation, I discovered the Honda Pilot. As soon as we got back to Lexington, my oldest son and I went to Honda. Lo and behold they had a Black EX on the lot. We drove it and the rest is pretty much like your story. Wife took a little convincing, but now she drives it more than I do. It was supposed to be mine as a result of achieving one of those significant decade birthdays. (can't recall the exact #) Anyway, I think she snookered me. We love it and really enjoy all aspects of it, including the RES. Nice picture of it over in the Family Photo Album. Good luck, hope it is not too long a wait for you.

·
Registered
65 Posts
shartwig~

I waited 2 1/2 months for my Sagebrush EX-L w/ RES. It was 100% worth the wait. Don't give up!!!!

I felt like a kid waiting for Christmas. :D

·
Registered
116 Posts
Well, what can I say? Wife and kids wanted the Odyssey and I wanted an SUV. We went to the dealer on Labor day for looking at the Odyssey. There was a black Pilot on the lot. The sales person asked us if we wanted a test drive. The ride was much smoother than the Odyssey and that decided it. We finalized on the Pilot after lunch and put our deposit for the SS EX that would arrive in a week.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I'm a die hard sports car fanatic - love them - always have always will. HOWEVER (and isn't there always a however), my son started playing hockey last year (goal tender) and it became harder and harder to fit all of his gear in my TA (not to mention he had to be like gumbie to sit in the back seat on a normal day). However I was dead set that I was going to keep the car and he could hang out of the T-tops....

Anyway, last week my TA started having problems (2 months out of warranty of course), so last Monday I dropped it off at the repair shop and I went looking at SUVs. I figured I'd buy an Explorer - if I bought anything - because I have so many friends that have them - but just to be sure I went around town and looked at every dealership I could find. Ford, Chevy, Dodge, Toyota, Pontiac....and then.....HONDA. There it was....in all its glory....only one on the lot (a demo they can't sell of course). I got in it - drove it - and that was it. I mean, that was really it. Amazingly there was a truck coming in sometime that week with a couple of silver ones and a sagebrush one. They guy convinced me that the Sagebrush would be the best choice - so I gave him a deposit and waited for it to come in (I can't imagine waiting months....4 days drove me crazy). My buying it was contingent on me approving of the color - and when I finally saw it Friday - I fell in love. I didn't take it home until Saturday afternoon (one must not make hasty decisions) and I haven't stopped staring at it yet. I even go in the garage just to look at it (ok, I've also driven by the dealership every night since I got the Pilot to 'see' my TA too - it's a sickness I'm sure).

Mind you, when I went to get it Saturday I was sitting in the showroom with my sales guy and he had left the car open, some lady got in it and was looking around in it - I jumped up and was like "GET OUT OF MY PILOT!!" Ok, I didn't say that but I did jump up and look and the sales guy immediately locked the doors on it..... selfish, aren't I?

So far I haven't missed my TA much (ok ok - I go visit it every nite - I do miss it a little) and I'm definitely pleased with my choice. Maybe someday when they start making the TAs again I'll buy a new one of them - and park my Pilot and TA side by side!

PILOT - LOVE IT!

Kim

·
Registered
27 Posts
TNT said:
Don't give up!!!!

I felt like a kid waiting for Christmas. :D
I just hope to get it before Christmas. I having a hard time dealing as it is. moving into the new year would just be too much.

s.

·
Registered
27 Posts
grafton said:
Sagebrush would be the best choice - so I gave him a deposit and waited for it to come in (I can't imagine waiting months....4 days drove me crazy).

Kim
Well, you know how it goes. It's like a broken heart. You never think you'll make it after a rough breakup. Then, as time passes, the intensity of grief fades.

Until you see your love again, and it all comes crashing back.

Unfortunately, there are more and more pilots driving around town every month. It gets more and more likely that I am going to crash into a bridge embankment, stricken with grief. Ending it all. The last drive in the sky, without my pilot.

Ok. It's not quite that bad. I'm not really in 'love' with my pilot, but geez.

s.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts