Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
There's a lot I love about the Honda Pilot 2019 and of course, there's always room for improvement. There are two goals I hope this post can meet: 1. Help anyone who's shopping for a 3 row family SUV hauler and is having a hard time choosing from the plethora of options now available in the market. 2. Help future owners get more value for their money in the next release if Honda America reads this.

I will start with deal breakers and what led me to choose the Honda Pilot 2019 over the competition:

- A true 3 row SUV in it's class: I want the benefit of knowing I can accommodate another person or two in the 3rd row irrespective of their age, size or weight. I could not fit comfortably in the 3rd row of a Toyota Highlander but it was apparent kids will fit. If it's a 3rd row, it had better be roomy enough for friends and family who may like to join me on a camping trip.

- Available all LED front lights: For 2019, I find it hard to believe that a car maker will still offer halogen lamps in the top trim model. I hate the yellow light - it looks old. I love white light and even at my study table, it's white light I am accustomed to. In the Toyota Highlander, fog lights are still halogen in the highest trim - disappointed with that. It would have been better in my opinion to not have fog lights at all than to have it mixed with LED lights - I hate the looks of the combination. I love the LED lights in the Pilot - it dazzles in the dark and there is no one who sees it that does not recognize the crystallized fusion of white light whether it's behind them in the rear mirror or during parking. Even when the lights are not full beam, it is so bright and many beg to have it turned off when they stare at it for a while. In fact, in my driving experience, I have seen many give up the left lane when I get behind them. Except for newer vehicles that have auto-dimming mirrors like the Honda Pilot 2019 Elite. Which is another reason I love the Pilot - both side and center mirrors have a very effective auto-dimming mirror. The back LED tailgates also dazzle and it's even more pronounced when I step on the brakes. I wish the signal lights were LED as well and that's an item for improvement in the upcoming model. The reverse lights are also LED and beautiful to behold as well. I also love the fact the reverse lights were moved up - what was Honda thinking in the 2016 model? But the rear view camera has a low resolution and can be improved in the next model as well. It's good enough for me to see when I'm backing up but definitely could be better.

- Space for hauling is BIG! It may come as a surprise but this hauls just as much as the Tahoe! Many Honda Pilot owners erroneously think the boxy model is bigger than the 2016 model and upper. When the 2nd and 3rd row seats are folded, the space for hauling stuff competes favorably with the competition. The Pilot has 16.5 cu. ft of space when all seats are up compare that with 13.8 cu. ft in the Toyota Highlander. You'll only get 42.3 cu. ft behind the second row in the Highlander but 83.9 cu. ft in the Pilot! If you fold all 2nd and 3rd row seats in the Pilot you have a whooping 109 cu. ft whereas you only get 83.7 cu. ft in the Highlander. The convenience of entering the 3rd row in the Pilot is also very attractive - it's a one touch button to slide the 2nd row seat. It's complicated in the Highlander.

-True All Wheel Drive: I had always thought Subaru was the best when it comes to AWD. But the ability of the Pilot's engine to transfer 70% of the power to the back wheel and then transfer 100% of the 70% power received to any of the wheels that needs it is just terrific. This technology beats the competition! I finally got to know why Honda replaced 4WD with AWD. No one needs all 4 wheels powered and rolling at the same time independently all the time. Even when driving in normal mode without putting it in sand or mud or snow mode, the Pilot's smart algorithm that helps the vehicle choose which wheel needs power during different driving conditions is simply amazing. Watching this in the improved instrument gauge makes it all the more amazing! I do have a question about the instrument gauge though. There's this white streak light that comes up in the instrument gauge intermittently. It's often green but once in a while, it turns white. I don't know why this happens but the feeling it gives is sweet. Just don't know what I am doing that makes it come on and wish I did.

I can't fully exhaust the deal breakers in this post but let me move into other features I love about this vehicle:

- The Idle stop and refined transmission: I have found many pissed off with this but I love this. However, it only works half of the time. I understand this is because of very cold temperatures so I am waiting for summer. I have driven this for over 2500 miles and I can tell the transmission is definitely sound. It does not hunt for gears. Some say there's a delay when you're passing and need momentum. I noticed that but found out that it appeared hesitant because I was driving in Econ mode. When I turned off the Econ mode, it drove like a horse! Driving has just been smooth! I still slow down at bends but learning to trust the vehicle due to it's strong torque vectoring abilities. Honda calls it the variable torque all-wheel-drive - it is awesome!

- The design of the wheels and addition of a graphics package: The Pilot has a 20 inch alloy wheel where the Highlander features 19 inches. But the design of the wheels in the Elite is often not mentioned - I love it! I got the white and when I added the graphics package, lighted running boards and side molding to prevent side doors scratching my sides, it is a spectacle to behold. I have seen a similar graphics addition on the RAV4 and Jeep Cherokee but they just don't come close to what Honda offers for the Pilot 2019. I love the blazing red sticker on the alloy wheel as well as the bezel shaped sticker on the sides. It's just a beauty to behold!

- The power folding mirrors. This is very cosmetic but it makes the vehicle look like it's a luxury model. I love when it automatically bends to give you a better view of the ground when you shift to the reverse gear. However, it amuses me why Honda didn't make both bend - both mirrors are in use when backing up! I also don't know why the mirrors don't automatically open when the vehicle is restarted. Common, Honda! Finish the good job! In the Accord, the blind spot indicator is in the mirror but on the Pilot it's inside on the pillar. I would have loved it on the side mirror itself. I don't know the pro's of having it on the pillar compared to having it on the mirror itself other than the loss if the mirror is smashed.

- The rain-sensing shield wipers: The scene often looks like one from a sci-fi movie when the wipers come on by themselves when rain starts dropping on the wind shield. However, it takes a while to know where to keep the lever to keep it in auto mode and how to turn it off when you take it for a wash. It is not very intuitive. I also don't know why the tail rain wipers don't work automatically except when I shift the gear to reverse. Or is it me Honda? I don't know but find that a bit odd.

- The multi-zone audio: I love being able to decide which zone of the car has their speakers turned on and off. It makes the cabin look like a movie theater of some sorts. Of course, the sound quality of the speakers and sub-woofer is amazing.

I could go on and on. Let me read from other owners as well.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Wow. Nice post. I could question some particular facts you pointed out but I won't, I'm glad you love your Pilot! Thanks for taking the time to write all of that, hopefully it does help someone with their decision.

·
Registered
32 Posts
There's this white streak light that comes up in the instrument gauge intermittently. It's often green but once in a while, it turns white. I don't know why this happens but the feeling it gives is sweet. Just don't know what I am doing that makes it come on and wish I did.
It was explained to me that this indicates how "economically" you're driving at that moment - green being better (i.e. more MPGs).

·
Registered
103 Posts
[FONT=&quot]Nice reviews. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]But I have to disagree with you on the halogen fog light. White light is brighter and lights up much further under normal weather condition at night. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]However, Yellow light[/FONT][FONT=&quot] penetrates further because of its long wavelength; yellow light is easier for our eyes to process, providing better definition[/FONT]

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow. Nice post. I could question some particular facts you pointed out but I won't, I'm glad you love your Pilot! Thanks for taking the time to write all of that, hopefully it does help someone with their decision.
Please jump right in to question any. We are all here to learn from each other.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It was explained to me that this indicates how "economically" you're driving at that moment - green being better (i.e. more MPGs).
Thank you so much for sharing! I will need to study this further as I noticed the white light when I was cruising. I had gained the speed I wanted and was just maintaining the speed when I would notice the light turn from green to white. In fact, I remember telling my Wife when it did. I have done some digging and reading this is the ambient meter and that the color changes to reflect one's driving style. So you're right with green indicating fuel efficient driving. The manual also says it even changes to light green when you're doing moderate acceleration/deceleration - which is what I think I was doing when it turned white. I felt I was coasting when it changed. The manual says the white color indicates aggressive acceleration or deceleration. I will be more observant next time and provide an update.

·
Registered
216 Posts
im guessing he is talking about your comparisons to the 2nd gen. i think i read before that interior volume is slightly smaller in the 3rd gen vs 2nd gen. exterior wise, yes the 3rd gen is bigger, but not interior.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
[FONT=&quot]Nice reviews. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]But I have to disagree with you on the halogen fog light. White light is brighter and lights up much further under normal weather condition at night. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]However, Yellow light[/FONT][FONT=&quot] penetrates further because of its long wavelength; yellow light is easier for our eyes to process, providing better definition[/FONT]
You are right but a lot comes down to subjective preferences. I personally prefer white to yellow light and if you ask me which is brighter, I would pick white over yellow. Yellow lights have fallen out of popularity as headlights in contemporary and modern vehicle lineups. European regulations, for example, require all new vehicles to be manufactured with white headlights. Whilst yellow light improves visibility in wet or foggy conditions, it can also be harder to see with yellow lights in clear conditions. As a result, many vehicles today use yellow lights only as fog lights which may explain why Toyota still chose to use that in their 2019 Highlander. However, I find it amusing they use led fog lights in their 2019 Corolla. White light is preferred for many reasons. A whiter light mimics the appearance of sunlight and improves visibility. Additionally, the filters used to create selective yellow light dim the brightness of headlights. White light is unfiltered, making it brighter. More than anything, I love the dazzle and Honda did a remarkable job on the Honda upper trim models for 2019. They are not exactly the jewel lights in the Acura but a closer look will show some very unique design making use of reflectors and bulb positioning that really isn't visible.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
"im guessing he is talking about your comparisons to the 2nd gen. i think i read before that interior volume is slightly smaller in the 3rd gen vs 2nd gen. exterior wise, yes the 3rd gen is bigger, but not interior."

You're right. The interior space of the second generation is 153.7 cu-ft while that of the third generation is 152.9 cu-ft - not significant if you ask me but you're still correct. The cargo volume behind the 1st row in the 2019 is 109 cu-ft compared to only 87 cu-ft in the second generation though. In other words, Honda optimized the space in the 3rd generation.

·
Registered
711 Posts
I'm not here to start any arguments, some on this forum love to that. I love the enthusiasm you brought with that post so I don't want to detract from it... People pretty much touched on the couple things I took issue with.

Glad you love your Pilot!

·
Registered
976 Posts
I'm not here to start any arguments, some on this forum love to that. I love the enthusiasm you brought with that post so I don't want to detract from it... People pretty much touched on the couple things I took issue with.

I believe the 2nd gen Pilot's 4wd is not all time/full time four wheel drive. It's only on start up and when on slippery situatuins, not what you put it as "four wheel drive all the time". This is what I found to be not 100% true in your statement. Again, not to start an argument.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I just picked up my 2019 EX-L tonight. I loved it heated up in about 2 minutes compared to 20 minutes in my CR-V. I will admit one thing, I will miss the braking hold button on the CR-V. Kind of a shame I had to step up to the next level and the 9 speed tranny to get it. I'll get over it Lol

·
Registered
399 Posts
the audio on the pilot sucks for this price point compared to others. especially in the touring and elite trims which have the "upgraded" sound--it just plain sucks compared to competitors.

even an aftermarket system built with brands that are considered crap sounds better. i know because ive built such a system in another vehicle of mine. i kid you not probably only cost $300 TOTAL (component speaks up front, 2 way speaks in the rear, 2 amps (1 to power speaks and 1 to power sub), and 12" sub in ported box and a check deck. all compiled of crap brands such as Boss, Pyle, Soundstream--those brands.

but other than that vehicle has been great. love the room without being a van and i love the looks. not as sleek as a cx9--but cx9 suffers from lack of space which defeatsa the purpose of owning this class vehicle. and not as ugly utilitarian look like the subaru ascent which looks like they tried to copy the pilot and failed.

i agree both side mirrors should power angle down when reversed. maybe one day someone can find a small hack to wire it up so both go down at the same time.

·
Registered
232 Posts
the audio on the pilot sucks for this price point compared to others. especially in the touring and elite trims which have the "upgraded" sound--it just plain sucks compared to competitors.

even an aftermarket system built with brands that are considered crap sounds better. i know because ive built such a system in another vehicle of mine. i kid you not probably only cost $300 TOTAL (component speaks up front, 2 way speaks in the rear, 2 amps (1 to power speaks and 1 to power sub), and 12" sub in ported box and a check deck. all compiled of crap brands such as Boss, Pyle, Soundstream--those brands.

but other than that vehicle has been great. love the room without being a van and i love the looks. not as sleek as a cx9--but cx9 suffers from lack of space which defeatsa the purpose of owning this class vehicle. and not as ugly utilitarian look like the subaru ascent which looks like they tried to copy the pilot and failed.

i agree both side mirrors should power angle down when reversed. maybe one day someone can find a small hack to wire it up so both go down at the same time.
You might want to have your mirrors checked out. I picked my 2019 up last night and backed out. Kind of freaked me out BOTH mirrors tilted down, so yes at least on mine both drivers and pax tilt down. As far as the sound goes I think its really good, then again I'm 56 and have about 15% hearing loss in both ears.....too many rock concerts

·
Registered
125 Posts
You might want to have your mirrors checked out. I picked my 2019 up last night and backed out. Kind of freaked me out BOTH mirrors tilted down, so yes at least on mine both drivers and pax tilt down. As far as the sound goes I think its really good, then again I'm 56 and have about 15% hearing loss in both ears.....too many rock concerts
What position is your side mirror switch in? L,R, or center? Just tried my 2019 EX-L & only 1 mirror, either L or R will tilt, which is fine by me, as I only find it useful for locating a curb, and I can't visualize having curbs on both sides of my vehicle. As to the audio system, I think it's fine. I have had Audis in the past with Bose, and Bang & Olufson systems & I find the Honda every bit as good, although I admit that I'm no audiophile.

·
Registered
232 Posts
What position is your side mirror switch in? L,R, or center? Just tried my 2019 EX-L & only 1 mirror, either L or R will tilt, which is fine by me, as I only find it useful for locating a curb, and I can't visualize having curbs on both sides of my vehicle. As to the audio system, I think it's fine. I have had Audis in the past with Bose, and Bang & Olufson systems & I find the Honda every bit as good, although I admit that I'm no audiophile.
Does both when I have it set to center. To tell you the truth I don't like it. I need to go thru the manual to see if I can turn it off. I'm 6'3 and it tilts too far down for me

·
Registered
125 Posts
Does both when I have it set to center. To tell you the truth I don't like it. I need to go thru the manual to see if I can turn it off. I'm 6'3 and it tilts too far down for me
I don't think your mirrors are working as intended. I seldom, almost never, use this feature, so not sure on the Pilot, but on previous cars, I was able to adjust how far the mirror tilted by using the adjustment(4 way switch) when they were tilted. It would remember my "tilt" setting.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I don't think your mirrors are working as intended. I seldom, almost never, use this feature, so not sure on the Pilot, but on previous cars, I was able to adjust how far the mirror tilted by using the adjustment(4 way switch) when they were tilted. It would remember my "tilt" setting.
Thanks, good to know. I need to check it out again. I was in a dark garage and I thought it did both on center. I have not seen any instructions for setting them

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

That is so very true. It's the same for many on social media as well. I really love your approach and as a result, a lot of respect for you. Thank you for the correction. Well noted.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Oh wow! So that is probably user error on my part...lol. I didn't realize I could put it in the center and sure I have it on either left or right. I am glad I shared my experience as I am learning more and more about this vehicle!

1 - 20 of 63 Posts