Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So,

I call up my lovely dealer, Joyce Honda, to schedule the first service appointment. The Pilot has about 6,500 on it, figure I will bring it in for oil change, and tire rotation, if it's reasonable.

The price I am quoted is $175, with the service guy saying that the Pilot never only gets an oil change and needs service every 5,000 miles as detailed below (except for rear differential change, which is done every 15,000 after this).

For this, the dealer will:

Rotate the tires
Change the oil
Balance the tires
Drain and refill the rear differential

And my two personal favorites:

make the car "re-learn" the idle speeds.
and
remove and lubricate the brake calipers

I find this all to be a crock, especially given the service schedule in the manual.

nevertheless, I'm wondering if anyone else has heard such an outlandish list of crap from their dealer.

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
Have them price each item

Then pay for what you want done.

CR-V second visit at 7500 miles was about that much. A lot of it is chocked up to "inspections" which seem to carry a large amount of "Flat Rate Hours". Not sure they are worth it, but I figured I would do it once on each car.

·
Registered
991 Posts
Dano said:
So,

I call up my lovely dealer, Joyce Honda, to schedule the first service appointment. The Pilot has about 6,500 on it, figure I will bring it in for oil change, and tire rotation, if it's reasonable.

The price I am quoted is $175, with the service guy saying that the Pilot never only gets an oil change and needs service every 5,000 miles as detailed below (except for rear differential change, which is done every 15,000 after this).

For this, the dealer will:

Rotate the tires
Change the oil
Balance the tires
Drain and refill the rear differential

And my two personal favorites:

make the car "re-learn" the idle speeds.
and
remove and lubricate the brake calipers

I find this all to be a crock, especially given the service schedule in the manual.

nevertheless, I'm wondering if anyone else has heard such an outlandish list of crap from their dealer.

ohh man, they are trying to get more out of you... this is your first service? My dealer is giving me three free services.. but still, you should only be getting an oil and filter change for the first one??? every car i have bought is usually just oil and filter. you don't have to get all those inspections. Does the manual say to get all these inspections, rotate tires, for the first service?

take care,
rob
:confused:

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm really curious if anyone has ever been told that a car has to "relearn" idle speeds.

First of all, there is a procedure for that detailed in the manual.

Secondly, I doubt this would ever be needed unless power is disconnected from the computer.

This kind of crap really chaps my ass.

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
Whenever the battery or the ECM fuse is disconnected.

If the Engine Control Unit (ECU) (Computer) looses power it must go through this procedure.

You need to ask, "Why are they pulling the power?"

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
N_Jay,

probably won't ask why they are pulling the power because they just lost me as a customer (except for warranty work).

My assumption is that they are pulling the power and relearning the idle so they can tack on another $80 per hour labor charge.

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
Maybe;

Maybe I am just an A$$, but I love asking the hard questions and watching them squirm!
:2: :2: :2: :2:

·
Registered
212 Posts
I just had my 1st 6000 km maintenance.

I paid Cad$29 + 15% tax. They REALLY only did the oil change (type 1).

All the noise compliant, they said not found/normal.
All the trim pieces inside they selectively wanted to fix, are back ordered from Japan.

Car is a whole lot dirtier than before it went in, as it was raining.

After all these 1st batch fix, I will go to another closer dealer. :eek:

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
N_Jay,

It's a good thing to ask tough questions.

And, actually, it's what I do for a living (i'm a journalist).

But I don't need that in my personal life. Just give me a fair price and no bull*&%$.

I'm glad you're keeping their feet to the fire, though.

:11: :11: :11: :11: :11:

·
Registered
664 Posts
Mine ended up being free becuase their body shop broke a $5 plastic plate cover. But, had I gotten it done it was around $30, just an oil/ filter change and a quick inspection of parts. No relearning involved.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hey Dano, tell the dealer that they need to "relearn" who they are dealing with and walk out.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts