Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have any of you fellow Piloters been targeted in the following marketing campaign [it's by Lexus, not Honda, but I thought it was unusual enough to share]:

I received a fairly large, elegant-looking envelope with my name/address nicely printed in script, with a hand-applied stick-on 37-cent stamp (no bulk mailing this). The overall impression that this was some sort of invitation of substance continued upon opening the envelope--inside was a tri-fold card printed on top-drawer stock, along with an RSVP card. Basically, in an exclusive, white-glove manner, it was Lexus inviting me to Great Meadow, Virginia, where--at a time of my choosing--I could appear and drive any of several high-end SUVs (dang, don't have the card with me; can't remember exactly), including, of course, Lexus models but also Mercedes, Infiniti, Lincoln, Acura [MDX], etc. (For those of you unacquainted with Virginia "horse country," Great Meadow is an exclusive, open stretch of rolling land where steeplechase events, upper-crust fairs, etc, take place, primarily oriented to the horsey well-to-do set or well-to-do wannabes.)

While the mailing stated it was an invitation from Lexus, no attempt was made to pitch Lexus over any of the other SUVs mentioned. No dealership or salespersons names were mentioned. It seemed like they encouraged you to consider it a family event, stating that "Entertainment and activities would be provided for the children."

This invitation left you with the impression that they were quietly confident that, after driving the competitors, you'd most likely pick Lexus. Who knows, maybe part of Lexus' plan is to hit you up with an "offer you can't refuse" at this gathering, as the coup de grâce of the sales strategy.

The fact I bought a Pilot probably got me on Lexus' list of those they think might consider an upgrade...and surely I'm not the only one. (Kemosabe, PaulV7, Mpressive, UMGoBLue--my "neighbors"--you got your "invitation" yet?) While there's no reason for me to attend--they ain't gonna part me from my Pilot--it would've been kinda fun to drive the MDX and compare against the others (and the Pilot, for that matter).

·
Registered
486 Posts
You should go anyway, do the test drives and then inform them that you still prefer the Pilot! And dress really wealthy looking...:D

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
MDXlite said:
You should go anyway, do the test drives and then inform them that you still prefer the Pilot! And dress really wealthy looking...:D
and please post pictures of your pilot against the "luxury" competition :2:

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
MDXlite said:
Oh, God, that would be so much fun!!!! :20: It's just that I don't enjoy beating salepeople off with a stick--and I'm afraid that this might be the outcome to this white glove affair........

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Since they think you'll UPGRADE...GEE since the Pilot is so LOWLY-
You should show up in rolled-up overalls and no shirt. Straw hat and black out a tooth. Don't shave, there you'll have the Pilot demographic. ;) What a bunch of snobs they are! No one does it better than Honda. If we wanted the LUX, we'd go 'X.
At least I would.

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
74PILOTMOM said:
Since they think you'll UPGRADE...GEE since the Pilot is so LOWLY-
You should show up in rolled-up overalls and no shirt. Straw hat and black out a tooth. Don't shave, there you'll have the Pilot demographic. ;) What a bunch of snobs they are! No one does it better than Honda. If we wanted the LUX, we'd go 'X.
At least I would.
Yeah, 74PILOTMOM, there was a faint, though distinct, snobby air about the whole thing. Makes you want to say, HEY LEXUS, WE PILOT OWNERS HAVE NOTHING TO BE ASHAMED OF! I mean, our Pilots may lack snob appeal, but they match up favorably with their "luxury" cousins in most all ways that really matter, right?

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
AND are practically 2 for the price of 1 Lexus, that isn't nearly as PRETTY.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Ziploc said:

Oh, God, that would be so much fun!!!! :20: It's just that I don't enjoy beating salepeople off with a stick--and I'm afraid that this might be the outcome to this white glove affair........
Ziploc,

I haven't received anything but this thread definitely had me rolling. I will keep my eye out. I was just thinking, what if I don't receive anything. Should I feel like I'm not worthy? :)

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Mpressive said:

Ziploc,

I haven't received anything but this thread definitely had me rolling. I will keep my eye out. I was just thinking, what if I don't receive anything. Should I feel like I'm not worthy? :)

Mpressive, my view is, you should feel fortunate that (so far) your name has not been bought and placed on one more sales list. [But there's still time!] :rolleyes:

·
Registered
449 Posts
MDXlite said:
I think it would be much more fun if you showed up in character as Cousin Eddie:

Attachments

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Twinkie said:

I think it would be much more fun if you showed up in character as Cousin Eddie:
Mr. Ziploc could do a pretty good job of that.

As I did one Halloween, I could dress up like Minnie Pearl (may she RIP), complete with hat and price tag, and announce myself with a cheery HOWDEEEE!

·
Registered
9,190 Posts
Ziploc said:

Mpressive, my view is, you should feel fortunate that (so far) your name has not been bought and placed on one more sales list. [But there's still time!] :rolleyes:
Like Mpressive, I didn't get one here in Kemotown, either... maybe they're just targeting my next door neighbors in Damascus... :p

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
See This Invite for Yourself

Fired up the scanner.....see below, if you're interested in how one SUV maker has chosen to market itself:

Attachments

·
Registered
9,190 Posts
Re: See This Invite for Yourself

Ziploc said:
Fired up the scanner.....see below:
Can you post the rest of it for those of us who didn't get an invite so that we can live vicariously through you??? ;)

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Re: Re: See This Invite for Yourself

kemosabe said:

Can you post the rest of it for those of us who didn't get an invite so that we can live vicariously through you??? ;)
Yeah, give me a minute....had to re-size my images.

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Then, open to:

Attachments

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Followed by:

Attachments