Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got this forwarded today. Sounds real enough to act on...

FYI

Just heard this on the news here locally. Apparently car thieves have yet again found a way around the system and steal your car or truck without any effort at all.

The car thieves peer through the windshield of your car or truck, write down the VIN number from the label on the dash, go into the local dealership for that car brand and request a duplicate key for it from the VIN number.

Car dealerships make up a duplicate key from the VIN number, collect payment from the 'customer' who's really a would-be car thief for making up the duplicate key -- the car thief goes back to your vehicle, inserts the key they've just gotten and off they drive with your car or truck.

They don't have to break in, don't have to damage the vehicle and draw no attention to themselves as all they have to do is to walk up to your car, insert the key and off they go to their chop shop with your vehicle!!!

Can you believe it?

To avoid this from happening to you, simply put opaque tape (like a strip of electrical tape, duct tape or medical tape) across the VIN label located on the dash board. You can't remove the VIN number legally under most state laws, so cover it so that it can't be viewed through the windshield by a car thief.

Anyway, feel free to forward this on before some other car thief steals another car or truck like this.

Unbelievable!

·
Registered
7,953 Posts
well on the PILOT the dealer should not be making the key with VIN number, but needs the KEY ID to make the key.

Should not happen with our pilots :D

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
etching

If you have the VIN etching on the glasses, then there is really nothing that can be done. If this indeed happens, the dealer would be the responsible idiot for not asking for ID or the Key Code.

·
Registered
204 Posts
ramirami said:
well on the PILOT the dealer should not be making the key with VIN number, but needs the KEY ID to make the key.

I agree ramirami.

My salesman told me that if I lose the Key ID, Honda will not be able to give me a replacement key as they are tracking Key/Lock configuration by the key ID and not the VIN number.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ramirami said:

Well my wife threw away the key code tag thinking it was trash :rolleyes: The dlr told us they could still key the vehicle by VIN, and I doubt all of them would check for an owners card first. So while it should not happen, it definately CAN.

·
Registered
423 Posts
tledjazz said:

Well my wife threw away the key code tag thinking it was trash :rolleyes: The dlr told us they could still key the vehicle by VIN, and I doubt all of them would check for an owners card first. So while it should not happen, it definately CAN.
What owner's card? I did not receive anything like that. Maybe it's because I'm leasing. I do know if a dealer provided a key to someone else besides me, they would have a big law suit against them.

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
4603pba said:

What owner's card? I did not receive anything like that. Maybe it's because I'm leasing. I do know if a dealer provided a key to someone else besides me, they would have a big law suit against them.
You walk out to your car, which you parked outside, some morning and its gone, never to be seen by you again...

How to you prove that it wasn't towed away?
How do you prove a dealer sold a duplicate key to an unauthorized person?
How do you even know what dealer to try to get to admit to it?

You need a witness that saw someone unlock your car and drive away first. Assuming you have that, then you need to track down the dealer who sold the key. Maybe you could get that from Honda?? Anyway, it wouldn't be easy to prove.

·
Registered
725 Posts
URGENT - Must Read on Theft!

KPHO TV in Phoenix, Arizona did a story on how a person was able to use a VIN to get a key made.

The station grabbed the VIN number off of a BMW (owned by a station employee) and they were able to go to the dealership and have a key made that worked like a charm.

Check out www.news5.tv to see the story for yourself!!!

Thanks for the "tape" idea for my VIN number - I'm going to do it immediately!

PILOTinginCO
Sagebrush Pearl-EX
Parker, CO

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Anyone who lives in a high crime area like I do will tell you this scheme is certainly not out of the realm of possibility. I don't know if covering the VIN is illegal in DC, but since I've already invested in several additional anti-theft measures, I figure this gram of prevention is worth considering to avoid a ton of cure.

·
Registered
32 Posts
As an insurance fraud investigator for a major auto insurance company, I can assure you all that this is definitely NOT an urban legend. We had several cases in my local area where thieves were obtaining keys based on the VIN and were actually stealing new cars from the dealership's lots. They like to export 4 wheel drive SUV's to third-world countries. This is because many of their roads are not paved. I also had the opportunity to test my Ford dealership when my wife lost her keys. I went in to the service department, told them my story, gave the guy my VIN and was on my way with a new key... to the manager's office - to tell him to beef up security. Because the would be thief just might want to wait in the back seat for your wife rather than steal the vehicle. Having said that, I've found that most of the dealerships in my area do require that you present ID and some even require multiple forms of ID. I am also certain, based on my investigations, that Honda's computer system can pull the key code if they put in the VIN. And therein lies the benefit of locating systems like LOJAC and ONSTAR. Although, as I've mentioned in previous posts, there are ways around those as well.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
4603pba said:

What owner's card? I did not receive anything like that. Maybe it's because I'm leasing.
The vehicle registration. Or an insurance card w/driver's licence. Anything to prove the person requesting the key was the owner.

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
Oh yeah!

tledjazz said:
Anyone who lives in a high crime area like I do will tell you this scheme is certainly not out of the realm of possibility. I don't know if covering the VIN is illegal in DC, but since I've already invested in several additional anti-theft measures, I figure this gram of prevention is worth considering to avoid a ton of cure.
One more good reason for $0 deductable comprehensive insurance!
:2: :2: :2: :2: :2:

·
Registered
85 Posts
Glider Pilot,

Reminds me a bit of "Gone in 60 Seconds" with Nicolas Cage where a person was getting keys from a dealership. One dishonest employee inside in a dealership coud cause a lot of heartache for owners.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Locked Keys in Car

I locked my keys in the trunk of my Accord. The local dealer was closer than my home at the time. They (Honda) would only give me a duplicate key that would only open the trunk and the door. They stressed this key WOULD NOT start the engine. :confused:

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
More media coverage

The local NBC station did a story today on the VIN car theft scheme. Said the best defense is a sheet of paper in front of the VIN when the car is parked. So much for urban legends.

·
Registered
9,190 Posts
Re: More media coverage

tledjazz said:
The local NBC station did a story today on the VIN car theft scheme. Said the best defense is a sheet of paper in front of the VIN when the car is parked. So much for urban legends.
Here is the local story online: Vehicle ID Number Can Help Thieves Get Your Car It's a brief article... here is the quote that applies: "The best way for people to protect themselves is to take a piece of paper and cover their VIN in the front window while their car is parked, WEWS reported. Drivers must remember to take the paper off when driving; it's a state and federal law to have it displayed."

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Re: Re: More media coverage

kemosabe said:

Drivers must remember to take the paper off when driving; it's a state and federal law to have it displayed."
Like someone's gonna see your VIN while you're driving! :)

What really gets me is the story also said there's technology availble to prevent this, for as little as $1/vehicle, but the manufacturers are too cheap to put it in their cars. The recent publicity (plus a couple of lawsuits) may change that.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
New York and other states require the VIN to be displayed on every parked car. Probably so the police can compare the VIN and the license plates when checking out a car (stolen plates, plates not matching, etc...).

I think most state require the VIN to be displayed while the vehicle is in use. Most likely so the cop can easily check and record it when you get pulled over. So if you do cover it with a card or something, just remove it when you see those flashing lights. :)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts