Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I dont know about the rest of you but I really do think adding some trim to the dash would really help the look of the colors on the dash - it all seems to flow together.

I have been checking out all the sites and different kits and saw a company, mentioned here in another thread, bodydash.com which is also selling kits on ebay.

The have the same burl walnut as the factory kit but also a dark "black ash" looking wood called "Honda Burl" It looks like the wood found in some mercedes with black interiors.

I have asked for a sample of each wood so I can hold it up and see how it looks but back to my point....

They have a picture posted of their kit installed on a Pilot. I will post below so you guys can see an aftermarket kit. I copied the pictures from the ebay auction found under a search on "Honda Pilot"

- Jason

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Dash View #1

I think the fit and finish looks good - I wonder if it was a professional install?

Attachments

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Another Picture

So there you have it - an aftermarket photo - I still can't decide which way to go - maybe after I see the wood samples. I do think the "black ash" looking wood would look great in my dark grey interior.

Attachments

·
Registered
35 Posts
It's always hard to tell from these type of photos, but it sure looks nice. I would be tempted to go for it, if it turns out to be a good quality product that looks "built in".

Thanks for the research on this product.

·
Registered
919 Posts
I do like the look of some wood, but I have to say that the amount of wood coverage in these photos is way over the top for my taste. The number of pieces replaced on the factory kit looks it might blend in a little better. Just my opinion.

Chris

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
xyzzy said:
I do like the look of some wood, but I have to say that the amount of wood coverage in these photos is way over the top for my taste. The number of pieces replaced on the factory kit looks it might blend in a little better. Just my opinion.

Chris
I agree - you need to be careful when adding wood that you don't over do it - especially if it makes the car start to look like you are trying too hard.

The nice thing about these kits is the ability to pick and choose what pieces you will use. I also think I may be able to get away with more coverage with a dark wood. When you compare prices, you will get basically everything in the factory kit plus extras for almost half the price. So you really can pick and choose. Keep in mind, the Honda kit is synthetic "stick on" wood as well so you may want to shop around.

I will post pictures of my own vehicle if I decide to go with it.

- Jason

·
Registered
919 Posts
Definitely keep us posted. Of all the parts they are showing, the one part that they don't show is the shift lever knob. This was something that I thought looked pretty good. Do they offer one?

Chris

·
Registered
80 Posts
I don't want to offend anyone, BUT I will...lol..teasing.

Honestly tho, I think aftermarket wood kits look cheap and chintzy. Hell, most carmakers can't even get their own factory installed wood to look good.

If you do want the kit, just think about these ideas:

Less is More. You don't have to install every piece. Look at cars that have wood interiors....most have about 3 or 4 dominent pieces....usually a dash piece, console piece and one each for the doors. Actually look at the Pilot's silver as an example.

Bigger is better. The larger pieces are less fiddly and flimsy looking. Notice that NO automaker has tiny beadwork wood on air vents? That's for a reason......it looks cheap. The surround around the hazzard/4-wheel buttons would be good. The trim around the door window switches are good IF you don't want to keep the silver. Maybe a piece around the radio. Leave the rest off.

The less touching the better. These pieces will scratch and will be more likely to break or fall off if you install them in high traffic areas. The trim on vents or door handles are just begging to be screwed up. If you have kids, those back A/C pieces are doomed to be kicked into next week.

Hey, I'm just a designer with my own ideas, so by all means do your thing! I hate gold packages too, but it's ok for other people!

:)

Dallas

·
Registered
509 Posts
I have the Honda wood-trim kit (dash, interior and RES) installed. I only had a chance to take some before photos. I'll take some after photos tonight when I get home, and post my commentary.

What I will say is that we were pleased with the coverage, installation was easy, and I think just about everyone complimented us on the wood trim when they got in the Pilot. I'll expand on that more later (like I usually do!). Besides, a picture is worth a thousand words, so you can make your own judgement!

I'd also go along with the less is more philosophy. I think the pictures above are nice, but its just a bit overkill for me.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I test drove a demo at a dealer this weekend that had the factory wood kit installed including the gear shift knob. It looked ok but I think was a litte overdone. The sales rep said they told them to put as much add-ons as they could so people could see what they were like in case they wanted to purchase them. It was black and had the side steps and big bumper on the front. The bumper made it look huge like a expedition or something.

I found a White EX with leather on a dealer lot on saturday. He had five others and was able to talk him into "giving" me the DVD since I had not use for it and they wanted to sell another one for their end of month closing. I hear off all these people being put on lists but if you are in a big market area it pays to drive to all the dealers to see what they have.

My neighbor has a white Acura MDX and we were comparing the two. It has a lot of wood trim inside also with the shifter in the center. You really lose all the storage space there. His kids loved my DVD and he like the third seat in miny better than the MDX. He also hated that he paid about 8 grand more. He did have the heated seats which the ladies really like in the winter.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Folks,

That's a picture of my Silver Pilot after I installed the dash kit from bodydash. It took me approximately two hours to install last Saturday, 8/31. Just followed the instruction and it came out alright.

Happy motoring,
SJTiburon

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
SJTiburon said:
Hi Folks,

That's a picture of my Silver Pilot after I installed the dash kit from bodydash. It took me approximately two hours to install last Saturday, 8/31. Just followed the instruction and it came out alright.

Happy motoring,
SJTiburon
Thanks for stepping up to identify your vehicle! I posted those to the forum for people to see the product - I hope you don't mind.

I'd like to get your opinion on the company and their product. They are sending me samples right now of your kit and the "Honda Burl" (the grey wood) so I can make up my mind.

I have a Redrock Pilot and really think all that grey plastic on the dash needs something to break it up.

Let me know if you care to share. (feel free to e-mail off list or PM me)

- Jason

1 - 14 of 14 Posts