Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well my 2008 Honda Pilot is wonderful and I continue to be in love with it, however the transmission is definitely about to go. Drain and fill procedure has been done, however it is not enough to undo years of neglect and improper procedures by the previous owner's mechanic. Oh well, its better than a car payment.

I am wondering what other things can be done at little to no extra labor charges while the transmission is being replaced. The car has 180,000 miles on it and won't need the timing belt for another 30,000 miles or so but if it could be done easier now, I have no problem with that. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What makes you think the tranny is about to die? just curious.
Driving around the city there is some substantial shuddering and confusion like its not sure whether to shift or not. Occasionally there is a rumble strip type noise from the front that goes away when I accelerate. It whines under 40 mph. When it needs to downshift while going up a hill, it hesitates and the downshift is super rough and almost rocky feeling. I'm sure it still has time, but I'm bracing for the inevitable.

·
Registered
5,534 Posts

·
Registered
826 Posts
If you are replacing the transmission, then both engine and tranny will need to be removed for the job. For sure have new motor mounts installed. The engine rear main seal should be replaced. The seals at the two front drive shafts should be replaced as part of the tranny job. If this is AWD, then the seal for the driveshaft in the transfer case should be replaced. The ATF cooler in the radiator must be flushed with a cleaner made for the job. You do not want old debris to contaminate your new transmission. You should be getting a new or rebuilt torque converter as part of the tranny job.

If your steering rack is leaking, access for replacement is much easier with the engine and transmission removed.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you are replacing the transmission, then both engine and tranny will need to be removed for the job. For sure have new motor mounts installed. The engine rear main seal should be replaced. The seals at the two front drive shafts should be replaced as part of the tranny job. If this is AWD, then the seal for the driveshaft in the transfer case should be replaced. The ATF cooler in the radiator must be flushed with a cleaner made for the job. You do not want old debris to contaminate your new transmission. You should be getting a new or rebuilt torque converter as part of the tranny job.

If your steering rack is leaking, access for replacement is much easier with the engine and transmission removed.
Thank you that is exactly what I was looking for!

·
Registered
267 Posts
The rumble strip noise that plagued my 05 for 2 years at around 35-40 mi/hr with 140k miles disappeared after drain and fill 4x. This is the easiest and low cost measure before anything more expensive is done, imho. Thanks.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Thank you that is exactly what I was looking for!
Thanks, I hope that my comments are helpful. However, before you pull the trigger on a transmission rebuild or replacement, I would encourage you to review the posts in this thread about replacing solenoids and doing additional ATF drain/fill procedures. These additional maintenance efforts are not expensive, and may improve the function of your transmission. You may be able to avoid a rebuild or replacement.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks, I hope that my comments are helpful. However, before you pull the trigger on a transmission rebuild or replacement, I would encourage you to review the posts in this thread about replacing solenoids and doing additional ATF drain/fill procedures. These additional maintenance efforts are not expensive, and may improve the function of your transmission. You may be able to avoid a rebuild or replacement.
Would you happen to have the part number for the solenoids? It seems they have multiple names so I am having a hard time finding the right one. I have a 08 EX-L 2WD

·
Registered
826 Posts
Would you happen to have the part number for the solenoids? It seems they have multiple names so I am having a hard time finding the right one. I have a 08 EX-L 2WD
Sorry Jack, I'm not a parts salesman. Check online with a Honda dealer, or try Rockauto.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts