Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2006 EX-L RES 2WD
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm purchasing a 2006 EX-L RES 2WD this week. The previous owner has had it in his family for 10+ years. He is a family friend and trustworthy. There has been extensive maintenance done (with shop receipts) to this Pilot to keep it running to where it is today, 236,xxx miles.
IMG_5694.jpg
I'm going to be updating this Pilot with more modern technology starting with the head unit. Of course documenting everything on here along the way.
20200308_114518.jpg
Just got all the parts in today! :D

Products (w/ links): I will be updating this post with all the products and links used.
+Cleaning Products:

+Head Unit Replacement:
+Camera:

·
Registered
2005 Honda Pilot LX
2,191 Posts
Nice find. It’s just getting broken in.

·
Registered
2005 Honda Pilot LX
2,191 Posts
The harness looks professional. Was that a solder & heat shrink all-in-one butt splice that you went with? The photo blurred when I tried to zoom in.

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
The harness looks professional. Was that a solder & heat shrink all-in-one butt splice that you went with? The photo blurred when I tried to zoom in.
get a new screen it's fine on this end :p

·
Registered
2006 EX-L RES 2WD
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes, it is an all in one. The link to the product is in the first post. I decided to give them a try after recently finding out about them. They are awesome and I will continue to use them. Just need a heat gun, you can get a small one for about $10-$15 on Amazon.

·
Registered
2005 Honda Pilot LX
2,191 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Honda Pilot LX
2,191 Posts
Yes, it is an all in one. The link to the product is in the first post. I decided to give them a try after recently finding out about them. They are awesome and I will continue to use them. Just need a heat gun, you can get a small one for about $10-$15 on Amazon.
I missed that link.😁

Someone at my work told me about those a few months back. He too had nothing but positive things to say about them. The next time I wire up a stereo I’ll have to give them a try.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Love the color! I hope it's a great vehicle for you!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Welcome to the Pilot family. I have a 2005 Pilot that I adore. I am the original owner and have had very few issues over the course of 15 years. Now if I can get my two teen boys through learning to drive, I will be all set.

Happy Driving!

·
Registered
334 Posts
General first steps is to try some foaming auto carpet cleaners and see if that helps for the stains or smells. The foaming carpet cleaners will be ineffective if an excess amount of staining/smelly fluids have reached the padding. It's a big weekend job to remove the carpet but achievable. Just think of all the coins and trinklets you will find and how clean+ nice smelling the Pilot will become.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Honestly it's not that big of a deal to remove the carpet and replace it if you can put the Pilot out of action for a weekend. Unbolting and removing seats, if the carpet runs entirely under the console that's your biggest challenge.

If you want to try a non-replacement method, first thing I'd do is rent one of those carpet cleaning machines with a good hose setup. Heat+chemicals+agitation, if that doesn't work I don't know what will.

·
Registered
2006 EX-L RES 2WD
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Honestly it's not that big of a deal to remove the carpet and replace it if you can put the Pilot out of action for a weekend. Unbolting and removing seats, if the carpet runs entirely under the console that's your biggest challenge.

If you want to try a non-replacement method, first thing I'd do is rent one of those carpet cleaning machines with a good hose setup. Heat+chemicals+agitation, if that doesn't work I don't know what will.
Most ready to place auto carpets are around $200. I'm trying to keep things down on price as much as possible. If I decide to replace the carpet, I will mold it myself with some carpet I like.

·
Registered
2006 EX-L RES 2WD
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
I'll probably go the same route. Any pictures of the completed install? Also, can you confirm the steering wheel controls work? Thanks!
As of right now, I have not finished the install. I am currently tearing apart the dash to clean out the vent ducts. Once I'm done with that I will have full install pictures. As far as steering wheel controls, my HU needs a universal part to make it work. It's about $50 which I will post in the links area.

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
1 - 20 of 30 Posts