Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen those holes before on the cars I've owned in the past, but the reason I bring it up is this.

I went to wash my car today at one of those automatic car washes at a gas station, as I always do. Don't worry, it is completely brushless. It's all water spray. Then it goes through a blow dryer that never touches your car. Once that's over, I always further dry my car right away with a shammie. It's just not practical for me to wash my own car, especially during winters, otherwise, my driveway would turn into a skating rink.

Now before you judge me, around this neck of the woods, these type of car washes are far more prevalent, accepted and patronized than the car washes you guys are accustomed to taking your vehicles to where people will vacuum your car, then take it through a wash, then have more people hand dry with shammies. It's just the way it is around here. I know down in L.A., when you say a car wash, they're referring to the latter. But around here, "a car wash" is something that's done at a gas station, unless otherwise noted.

Now that's out of the way, as I was drying my car with my shammie, just for the heck of it, I opened up the gas tank cover. I figured, I'll clean up the dirt in there too. But to my surprise, there was alot of water there that was accumulated during the wash.

The first thing that came to my mind was that all this water was draining down the little hole right below the gas tank spout. So, I immediately brought over some paper towels and started to absorb the accumulated water. I didn't stop until most if not all the water was gone.

I never really bothered to dry the car myself after a car wash with my previous cars, so I never noticed this before. Is this normal for water to accumulate like that inside the gas tank cover after a wash? If so, should I be concerned with all that water going down the little hole below the gas tank spout? What is the purpose of that hole anyway? I'm thinking it has something to do with providing some kind of pressure for the gas tank. If so, what can I do to prevent water from getting in there in the first place? I was thinking of placing some paper towels inside the gas tank cover next time, but considering the amount of water that was there, I don't know if that'd help.

I'm very anxious to hear your thoughts on this. Thanks for your time and courtesy.

·
Registered
991 Posts
Hi Riprock... this is strange I agree... I never have heard of that much water behind the gas cover before.. but it the hole at the bottom of the gas cover on the inside? and if it is why is it not draining? I have used power washers on my car and the water has never stayed in there.. I do not have my pilot yet, so I can not be of any help, but still this is very strange.. Let me know what Honda says, because you dont want any water getting into the gas tank when you fill up esspeically when you just washed you Pilot

take care
rob:confused:

·
Registered
290 Posts
I assume you are talking about the hole in the black plastic piece that wraps around the filler tube. The primary purpose is to catch and direct gas spillage/overflow. This should drain pretty quickly. I have never noticed any accumulation of water and/or gas in this spot. You may have a stopped up tube. I believe that someone traced the discharge of this tube to the wheel well area in another thread. You could take it to you dealer and have them inspect it for proper drainage, or you could check it yourself.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Drain Hole

Gotta Drill?

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
r_hammel said:
I assume you are talking about the hole in the black plastic piece that wraps around the filler tube. The primary purpose is to catch and direct gas spillage/overflow. This should drain pretty quickly. I have never noticed any accumulation of water and/or gas in this spot. You may have a stopped up tube. I believe that someone traced the discharge of this tube to the wheel well area in another thread. You could take it to you dealer and have them inspect it for proper drainage, or you could check it yourself.
I see, I see. So, when this hole's there to drain spillage/overflow, does that mean it'll drain back to the gas tank itself or does it just drain down onto the ground?

In the meantime, I'll get someone to take a look at the tube since my Pilot's at the dealer right now.

·
Registered
290 Posts
RipRocK said:

I see, I see. So, when this hole's there to drain spillage/overflow, does that mean it'll drain back to the gas tank itself or does it just drain down onto the ground?

In the meantime, I'll get someone to take a look at the tube since my Pilot's at the dealer right now.
From what I recall, the discharge was in the wheel well. So it should drain to the ground. I will check when I get home.

·
Registered
991 Posts
Yeah, should drain to the ground, if it does not, that means water may enter the gas tank... NOT Good!

keep us posted.

rob

·
Registered
290 Posts
Well, I got up under there and I can't find exactly where the discharge is. I was not willing to take off the wheel well splash gaurds to see if it was up in there. Looking up from behind the rear tire you can find a spot where you can see the back side of the filler tube, however, I could not get in a position where I could see the drainage tube, so I am not sure in what direction it goes, or if there even is a drainage tube (it may just be a hole).

What I did verify was that mine drains very quickly. I took a measuring cup with water out and pured it in there and it drained out. It wasn't lightening fast and there was a little residual water, but I wouldn't have described it the way you did, so I would assume that yours is not draining properly. It is a very small hole, so it wouldn't take much to block it.

You might want to try poking something, such as an awl or bent paper clip or something like that, to see if the blockage is at the top (and most likely place for blockage).

·
Registered
388 Posts
I dont want to state the obvious here but if you are using a metal object be careful not create a spark from metal to metal contact especially around gas vapors:11:

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
r_hammel

That is just great! Thanks for your help in this. I'll see if I can find something thin or skinny enough that'll do down the hole to see if anything obstructing the drainage. If not, I'll just have my dealer look at it. Thanks.

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
The things you guys worry about!

It drains OUT on the ground.

The exact routing is something I never worried much about.

It does not drian back into the tank. (if it did where would all teh rain and wash water go, once n teh tank?)

If it is clogged just push a little wire through the hole.

As for any static sparks, Keep the gas tank cap on, and don't wear your 1970's disco rayon shirt while dooing thye hustle against the seats of the car and you will be fine!:2:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts