Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, as I have spare time to myself, Ive been tackeling preventative maintenance prjects on the wifes Pilot, and as posted in another thread, I was able to find the issue with the P0135 P0155 and P0498 code issues. Next is trying to figure out why the 61-1 battery voltage malfunction code is always present. The battery is approx. 1 yr old, but a few months back the alternator went, and I nursed the car home on battery power only, and as the battery went completely dead while driving, I pulled over and jump started it to give me enough juice to get home. Ive recharged the battery since then, but im wondering if I fried a cell or 2 that's causing the 61-1 code? Wih voltage testing, im about 12.2 volts when car is off, which drops to about 10.3 during crank, and then reads 13.4 when the car is running. IMO, It looks like these numbers are on the lower side, which makes me think that perhaps the battery got damaged during that time of trying to get the car home from the alternator failure. Whats everyone elses opinion out there?

·
Registered
437 Posts
Our original alternator seems to run just above 14v all the time. The battery is kept at about 12.4-12.5v. I have seen it drop to 10v when starting. Seems your alternator output might be on the low side.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Brand new alternator.... heres the kicker...If I clear the codes, the only 2 that remain current and wont clear are the 61-1 and 83-1...so somthing tells me that even with the car in the “on” position only, the codes are remaining present, so its not a matter of voltage drop during cranking thats setting the code

·
Registered
15 Posts
I believe that the service manual recommends a deep cycle battery, at least for Touring. If yours is just conventional lead acid, it may have been damaged at full drain.

Even if you put a full charge on it, do you still get that code at startup?

Do you have a known good battery you could swap in and test to see if the problem goes away?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I believe that the service manual recommends a deep cycle battery, at least for Touring. If yours is just conventional lead acid, it may have been damaged at full drain.

Even if you put a full charge on it, do you still get that code at startup?

Do you have a known good battery you could swap in and test to see if the problem goes away?
I put a full charge on it, and also left the battery charger on it and still get the code. The code is constant even after I clear the codes before starting the vehicle. I do have a spare battery but whats more concerning is that the codes wont clear, bother are under ABS codes.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
for the heck of it, I installed a freshlly charged spare battery and codes 61-1 and 83-1 still present! Thinking an ABS module issue??

1 - 6 of 6 Posts