Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello all, first I want to let you know that I own a 2019 Passport Elite with the 540w 10-speaker stereo system. It looks virtually the same as the current Pilot 590w 10-speaker system, but please do a little checking on your own, according to Crutchfield the Passport and Pilot use the same Front Door (Woofer) and Front A-Piller (Tweeter) speakers. In my Passport I used the exact same Woofers in my Rear Doors and the exact same Tweeters in my Rear C-Piller. Note that in the Passport the speaker in the C-Piller appears to be a 3-inch Tweeter/Midrange - however for proper sound balance, the exact same Tweeter (as the front) fits behind this stock 3-inch cover.

So, to recap, I replaced both Woofers (in the Doors) and both Tweeters (in the A- & C-Pillers) with the exact same Component speakers. The speakers I selected were the Focal 165AS, now these are NOT cheap speakers (like the stock speakers), these are very high quality speakers.

If you are happy with the sound that the stock system puts out, then no need to read any further, but if you want Audiophile-Quality sound, I'm here to tell you that you can get that by (only) replacing your speakers!

Next, the factory Sub-Woofer, is pretty darn good and there is NO REASON to replace it - unless you are a Rap fan and need to vibrate your fillings loose while pissing off everyone driving around you (including the police). Also if you keep the stock Sub-Woofer, and upgrade your speakers, you DO NOT need to disconnect the ANC!

Next up, is the Center Channel speaker: my suggest is two-fold: (1) just go into the menu and turn it all the way (or most of the way) DOWN. Center Channels are great for home theater (I have one) but in my vehicle I want STEREO sound and the Center Channel puts out some hybrid combination of Left & Right signals blended together to effectively negate the entire stereo experience. Again, if you only listen to talk radio or sports, leave it up, no problem.

Also, make sure you put some sound deadening materials in the doors around the speakers and run all new wires from the Crossovers (set them to -3db).

I had mine professionally installed at Metro Sound in HB (for any So Cal'rs I highly recommend them)!

Anyway, these are the speakers I went with and the sound is awesome, they go plenty loud and are super clear and put the stock speakers to shame.

I check back in here every once and a while, if anyone has any questions...

Cheers..

·
Registered
24 Posts
slowly looking into upgrading my ex-l pilot sound system too...
similar to your route but ill add dsp, maybe upgrade the amp if i could find a direct/close
multichannel amp.
ill be using morel since thats what we carry in our store.

·
Registered
24 Posts
ill be doing a similar route by will use morel speakers... and dsp, i like to somewhat use the stock
speakers if possible and just tune it with the dsp or go all out and replace the amp too.
i rarely use my pilot as daily but its a good demo car since most newer cars have a good entertainment
system already. DSPs and oem integration accessories is the route now.
ill update soon with pics and vids.

Hello all, first I want to let you know that I own a 2019 Passport Elite with the 540w 10-speaker stereo system. It looks virtually the same as the current Pilot 590w 10-speaker system, but please do a little checking on your own, according to Crutchfield the Passport and Pilot use the same Front Door (Woofer) and Front A-Piller (Tweeter) speakers. In my Passport I used the exact same Woofers in my Rear Doors and the exact same Tweeters in my Rear C-Piller. Note that in the Passport the speaker in the C-Piller appears to be a 3-inch Tweeter/Midrange - however for proper sound balance, the exact same Tweeter (as the front) fit behind this stock 3-inch cover.

So, to recap, I replace both Woofers (in the Doors) and both Tweeters (in the A- & C-Pillers) with the exact same Component speakers. The speakers I selected were the Focal 165AS, now these are NOT cheap speakers (like the stock speakers), these are very high quality speakers.

If you are happy with the sound that the stock system puts out, then no need to read any further, but if you want Audiophile-Quality sound, I'm here to tell you that you can get that by (only) replacing your speakers!

Next, the factory Sub-Woofer, is pretty darn good and there is NO REASON to replace it - unless you are a Rap fan and need to vibrate your fillings loose while pissing off everyone driving around you (including the police). Also if you keep the stock Sub-Woofer, and upgrade your speakers, you DO NOT need to disconnect the ANC!

Next up, is the Center Channel speaker: my suggest is two-fold: (1) just go into the menu and turn it all the way (or most of the way) DOWN. Center Channels are great for home theater (I have one) but in my vehicle I want STEREO sound and the Center Channel puts out some hybrid combination of Left & Right signals blended together to effectively negate the entire stereo experience. Again, if you only listen to talk radio or sports, leave it up, no problem.

Also, make sure you put some sound deadening materials in the doors around the speakers and run all new wires from the Crossovers (set them to -3db).

I had mine professionally installed at Metro Sound in HB (for any So Cal'rs I highly recommend them)!

Anyway, these are the speakers I went with and the sound is awesome, they go plenty loud and are super clear and put the stock speakers to shame.

I check back in here every once and a while, if anyone has any questions...

Cheers..

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, love to here what you end up doing, I hear Morels are excellent speakers!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts