Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys (and gals) I'll try to be brief.
I took my 2012 Pilot LX FWD (132,000) into my dealership for inspection and basic service. They advised that I needed left and right compliance bushings replaced in order to pass inspection. I probably would have tried to install them myself but to make a long story longer I was up against a time crunch. They hit me for $480 for parts and $650 for labor ($1130)! They also advised that I needed rear shocks and "O" rings and fluid flush on the power steering. I said thanks but no thanks because this didn't have to be done for inspection and they already abused me on the compliance bushings.
I order a set of KYB Excel G's and put them on a week later. Everything seemed fine but the I had to take a couple of long trips the next week and I started noticing a "clunking" sound out of the right rear. I had a hard time telling where it was coming from so I had a buddy stand on the bumper and bounce while I was underneath and we were able to reproduce the sound, still not sure exactly where it was coming from, I removed the upper bolts on the shock and repeated the process and the noise had stopped. I guess what I am wondering is A.) Could I have gotten a bad shock? B.) Could it be something with the install. C.) Something else?
The shock looks fine. The install is pretty basic and went really smooth on this side. Two upper bolts and one lower tightened properly. I don't want to send it back for a replacement if there's nothing wrong with it. Thoughts and suggestions are welcome!
Update:
As an update, I threw the old OEM shock that was leaking back on and the noise is gone. I'm wondering if it's just the fit of the non OEM. Thoughts and suggestions still welcome.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
If you want to know for sure, swap the shocks side to side and see if the noise moves to the left rear.

And yes, you may have gotten a bad shock.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
That's a good thought, my only hesitation is that the left side install was a pain in the rear compared to the right side. The bolts didn't line up and it's not something I want to tackle again unless the shock fails.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Don’t swap the shocks, just remove the bottom bolt of the one suspect & bounce it again, simply taking that shock out of the equation

1 - 4 of 4 Posts