Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I picked up my new Pilot I noticed two scratches, 4-5 inches long, very visible. I pointed this out to the salesperson. He started to buff the scratches with some kind of compound and managed to get the scratches much less visible, but they are still there and you can easily feel it with your fingernail. The salesperson insists on keeping on buffing until you can’t see the scratch anymore. My concern is that they will make the scratch disappear by polishing down the clearcoat until it’s on the same level as the scratch. And if so I may not see the scratch, but instead I have a thinner clearcoat that makes the car more vulnerable to new scratches (and less clearcoat to work with when I get new scratches). So it looks like I have two choices:
a) scratches
b) thinner clearcoat
In both cases I feel like I’m loosing…

So what do you experts think?
Are my concerns about the clearcoat valid?
What would be a decent compensation from the dealership if we leave the scratch and settle this in some other way?

·
Registered
4 Posts
:mad: It happened to me too (a much smaller scratch though), he called his service manager and requested my car to be fixed by a bodyshop as well as offered me a loaner car while it was being fixed:)

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Hey guys...

Welcome to the board. Just sorry to hear from you both with such a problem! My first thought is that I'd really be P.O'd and insist that they get the dang scratchs out and re-do the clearcoat. Then I think - If they're THAT careless to begin with what's my Pilot gonna look like after being in their hands...again. But I wouldn't go with being 'compensated', I know that. The problem needs to be fixed to your satisfaction & at no cost and as little inconvenience to you as possible.
Need the answer to your clearcoat/buffing question from the Pilot guru's here. :4:

·
Admin Du Jour ®
989 Posts
I read a great comment on Autopia this morning...paraphrased:

"You wouldn't take your car to a detailer to have the tranny dropped, why would you take your car to the dealer for a detail?"

That said, I'd take it to a good detailer (or bodyshop/paintshop) for buffing (at the dealer's expense). They'll be able to assess the depth of the scratches and how much buffing/abrasion they'll take.

Whomever fixes it, be certain they don't use a glazing compound to FILL the scratches, because after a few washes, the scratches will be right back. They need to be buffed w/a polishing compound to TRULY remove them.

I think the salesguy is probably the LAST person I'd let try to fix it. Anyone in the service dept or prep dept would be a close second and third to last.

·
Registered
64 Posts
DaddyCool said:
When I picked up my new Pilot I noticed two scratches, 4-5 inches long, very visible. I pointed this out to the salesperson. He started to buff the scratches with some kind of compound and managed to get the scratches much less visible, but they are still there and you can easily feel it with your fingernail. The salesperson insists on keeping on buffing until you can’t see the scratch anymore. My concern is that they will make the scratch disappear by polishing down the clearcoat until it’s on the same level as the scratch. And if so I may not see the scratch, but instead I have a thinner clearcoat that makes the car more vulnerable to new scratches (and less clearcoat to work with when I get new scratches). So it looks like I have two choices:
a) scratches
b) thinner clearcoat
In both cases I feel like I’m loosing…

So what do you experts think?
Are my concerns about the clearcoat valid?
What would be a decent compensation from the dealership if we leave the scratch and settle this in some other way?
We had one of our rocket scientist sales people take a snow shovel and scrape the snow off of a Sandstone Odyssey...imagine how THAT looked. To boot is was my customers car.
We put it in the body shop for a paint job and set them up with a loaner.

Do not have the dealership use a "colors on parade" type company. They are fine for small scratches, but for anythinng that goes down to metal, it need to go to the shop.

·
Registered
32 Posts
My Pilot is at the dealer body shop right now being repaired. I noted a scratch to the metal about 1" long on top of the left fender when I took delivery.

The dealer is taking care of repainting the fender, as well installing all my accessories at their cost, including a loaner car.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts