Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

421 - 440 of 484 Posts

·
Registered
5,617 Posts
That is the truly sad part of the situation, the "you can't tell me what to do's" don't think of the collateral damage they directly cause to others until it comes back directly to them. The news was filled with stories of people being all remorseful for going on spring break and then seeing the consequences they caused. Call me cold blooded if you wish, but crying me a river of tears for your actions after the fact is meaningless, because you can't know how little I care.

The ones I do care about are the young, the old, the in-between, the infirm and those who seem healthy who through no fault of their own end up with this. The ones that try their best to look out for themselves as well as others. The ones who sacrifice seeing family, cups of coffee and a donut with their friends, a soccer game of a child or grand child, the music concert, graduation and the whole multitude of things that used to be part of a normal life, just to try and spare others from getting this, to stem the tide. Most of those who get infected survive, tragically some don't. As we are seeing some of those who survive have new medical problems that they and the rest of us will have to deal with.

How many potential lives are your finger nails worth, how many infected is your hair cut worth? Give me a number. Yes people want and need to work, but we have let ourselves become a nation of IT"S ALL ABOUT ME"S. There are times, and this is one of them, where it is all about US as a population, not about me as an individual. As a business owner I understand your want, your need to open your business, but tell me, give me a number, how many deaths is your business worth?

There are thousands of Doctors, nurses, medical technicians and support staff, along with other first responders doing everything they can, as safely as they can to stem the tide of this virus. There are countless others, scientist, researchers etc. trying to find if not a cure, a vaccine that will at least protect a far greater number from this virus. And then there are these types..........

View attachment 136332

Do you recognize the Wisconson nurse who felt compelled to go drink in a crowded bar because it was "her right to do so" and she just wanted to get out and have some fun? She is the chlorine. There is your chlorine that causes suffering in places like nursing homes. Humans are their own chlorine and some of them think too little about where they spread themselves until it's too late.

We had plenty of warnings of what was happening and we did nothing. It was a China thing, it would go away when it got warm, we had it under control, blah, blah, blah, blah.

I have a 2020 Passport touring bought on 2-1-2020 with less than 1500 miles on it. In light of the current situation, if on 2-1-2021 it has 2000 miles on it so be it. I would love to take it out, go on a road trip for a few days. I would love to get out of the house more than one morning a week when I buy groceries and go where ever I need for necessities. I would like to go back to the hospital where I normally volunteer three mornings a week. I would like go to the grocery store and just buy the groceries we want, but I don't. There are lots of good people in need right now, so I always buy extra, non perishable groceries and do a drive by drop off at the food bank on my way home. The sackers even know by now that I will have two separate piles of groceries and know to sack the food bank stuff in paper to make it easy to drop them off.

So if you think that I have little regard for humanity right now, well your are right. There are lots of good people in this world and they are the ones I care about, but humanity as a whole sucks big time.
In the past two months I've been grocery shopping only twice, so about once every three weeks, thus far.
Beyond that, there was one trip to the bank's drive-up teller window to deposit my stimulus check and a couple of trips to the post office to drop bill payments in the outside collection box.
Otherwise, I haven't ventured out of the "bunker".

I've found out that I can "style" my own hair with the trimmer built into my electric razor.
It's not perfect, but I've gotten worse haircuts before when my regular barber was away.
He's in his 80s, so he may never be reopening.

TV news reports show long lines of cars at food bank locations.
Everyone of the cars in line seems to be newer and/or better than mine.
Maybe I should be lining up for free food, too?
It's not that I wouldn't like to be driving a newer vehicle - not that there's anywhere to go now - but I've been saving my money for the proverbial rainy day.
It looks like there's going to be a very long rainy season ahead of us.

·
Registered
5,617 Posts
I aerate every other year with a machine. Don't bother to de thatch too often as I generally bag the yard and mow twice a week until the heat sets in. Here we have cool season grasses, fescue, rye etc. Once the heat sets in I can cut back to mowing once every 7 days. I do over seed on the years that aerate. The biggest pain in the keister is getting wet. I turn on the sprinkler system and then flag all of the sprinter heads so I don't hit them with the aerator.
Good way to make aerating cheap. If you live in the burbs with neighbors get a bunch of you to rent an aerator for a day and a whole bunch of yards and split the costs. $45 a day divided by 6 is $7.50 per person. Cheap enough.
The local squirrels aerate my lawn.
I stopped watering it when the local municipality started charging sewer fees based upon metered water usage, regardless of whether it went on the lawn or down the drain.
The grass still grows and stays green, mostly.

·
Registered
3,717 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
794 Posts
Discussion Starter #424
In the past two months I've been grocery shopping only twice, so about once every three weeks, thus far.
Beyond that, there was one trip to the bank's drive-up teller window to deposit my stimulus check and a couple of trips to the post office to drop bill payments in the outside collection box.
Otherwise, I haven't ventured out of the "bunker".

I've found out that I can "style" my own hair with the trimmer built into my electric razor.
It's not perfect, but I've gotten worse haircuts before when my regular barber was away.
He's in his 80s, so he may never be reopening.

TV news reports show long lines of cars at food bank locations.
Everyone of the cars in line seems to be newer and/or better than mine.
Maybe I should be lining up for free food, too?
It's not that I wouldn't like to be driving a newer vehicle - not that there's anywhere to go now - but I've been saving my money for the proverbial rainy day.
It looks like there's going to be a very long rainy season ahead of us.
Seeing as I have a face made for radio and a voice made for the newspaper, I never bothered to worry about getting gray hair in my 20's. My hair style has changed back to a Vito Corleone style. Combed straight back, but I'm good for a while. I go to the grocery store once a week. I keep a well stocked pantry and freezer, but in our county we have 1 case of covid-19 per 1000 people and our numbers have been holding steady the last several days. I wear a mask, home made surgical tie style mask when ever I go out am conscious of not touching my face etc, when out, wash my hands well and keep wiped on hand in the car and use them well. There is no guarantee that anyone won't get covid=19, unless the seal them selves in somewhere and have absolutely no outside contact, but I try to be cautious, and do what I need, not what I want.

It doesn't surprise me about what you are seeing in the food lines. The food banks went from providing food to those of little means to those who had means and all of a sudden those means are gone, at least temporarily.

When we first got married, my wife to put it mildly, pissed me off. We were young, dumb and well you know. I had never really lived life, wanted to do everything in the world I/we could possible do. Damn the torpedos, full speed ahead. The wife however was a banker. She made me, against my will, put money away for the future. At the time it wasn't much, but it was regularly. We had a savings account we put money into, but I'm talking about retirement account. When I turned 62 I had been with the Police Department for 34 years, done everything I wanted to do and my pension was not going to grow any bigger so I decided I was ready to retire. I told the wife this, and she asked me when I was going to pull the plug. I told her as soon as I found something else to do and in all earnestness asked her how much I needed to bring in to keep us living as we were. She looked me in the eye and laughed at me and said, "You do not have to work. " So I retired at 62. Most times when I got raises, the amount of the raise automatically went into the retirement account, We lived well, with no extravagances, kids grew up with everything they needed and a few of their wants and continued to save just as we did from day one.

I grew up in a farming family and there is no pot of gold farming. When I married, I didn't marry rich, but I did marry smart. When I retired I was shocked at what a few dollars a pay check could do over 40 years.

The local squirrels aerate my lawn.
I stopped watering it when the local municipality started charging sewer fees based upon metered water usage, regardless of whether it went on the lawn or down the drain.
The grass still grows and stays green, mostly.
Here in our part of the country, if your smart you water your lawn with well water, which all but two of us do in our neighborhood. Cheaper, no water bill to pay plus we don't have to have back flow valves, pay to have them checked once a year and rebuilt every 5 years or when they are broken, which ever comes first. Our first pump lasted 20 years and the replacement was only a couple of hundred dollars so I figure 10 dollars a year for 20 years is better than paying a water bill to the city for watering grass.

·
Registered
3,717 Posts
We lived well, with no extravagances, kids grew up with everything they needed and a few of their wants and continued to save just as we did from day one.
Words of wisdom, and I concur.

The next step in a good financial life is trying to get your kids to do the same as early as possible. Convince them to let time do some of the work for them.

·
Registered
3,717 Posts

I've got my brew settings on a floppy in the A:/ drive.

·
Registered
3,717 Posts
When I turned 62 I had been with the Police Department for 34 years, done everything I wanted to do and my pension was not going to grow any bigger so I decided I was ready to retire.
Man, the things you must've seen in your 34 years. My cousin retired after being a career police officer. You guys have earned your pay as well as your retirement.

·
Registered
3,717 Posts
Ironically, it's bittersweet see Robin Williams in that music video.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter #434

Good morning motor heads, another fine Thursday morning. Thursday is getting to be my least favorite day of the week. I have to sit down and figure out what the menu is going to be for next week, get the grocery list made so that I can go to the grocery store first thing in the morning. Supposed to have thunderstorms today and tomorrow which means I’m going to have a shaky puppy for a couple of days. Plus I still have two pounds of strawberries left so I think I will make a strawberry pie To use at least some of them up.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter #436

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Today is my oldest's 7th birthday. She's getting additional presents from practically everybody since they all feel bad for her. When she went to bed last night we decorated the house which she loved (my wife's idea). Also my wife had the idea to put on Facebook or whatever for people to send her cards if they wanted, so she really liked that. All-in-all, I would have said "sorry your birthday sucks" and my wife did an excellent job of making sure it didn't. She gets most of the credit.

·
Registered
3,717 Posts
Virtual Happy Hour later with my high school buddies and band mates. Yes, I was in band in high school, but it was a band I made. Played in front of 2,000 for end of year party.

It ups my cred with my kids to say, "my band from the '70s."

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
I'm happy because I finished my workouts for the week and am going to take next week off of workouts after 2 months straight to give my body a little time off. And we unloaded my middle child to my mom so we only have to manage 2 today which means we can make genuine progress on cleaning after my oldest's birthday.

In other news, it's raining pretty hard and I noticed a downspout overflowing so I got out the ladder and raincoat and pulled a couple handfuls of oak helicopters and pine needles out. Cleaning gutters is really easy if you're willing to get a little wet since everything will flow towards you.

421 - 440 of 484 Posts