Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 484 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
794 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As The Pilotters forum is an active one with a good number of regulars I thought I would start an off topic thread where anyone, regular or not, can drop in, pull up a chair, grab a cup of coffee or what ever beverage you prefer and discuss whatever happens to be on your mind, be it their how your day is going or not going, the weather, health, family, or what ever. Just a place to chat about things other than the Pilot/Passport, questions, issues and problems.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Although my retirement fund has taken a big hit we all should stay the course as this current world-wide issue will pass and things ought to get back to normal hopefully sooner than later. The stock market remains unpredictable but there are a lot of interesting companies that have been knocked down to interesting lows. Not sure what to expect in the near future but the stay-at-home rules should help me get some projects done. Wishing everyone to have a great tomorrow with good health and staying safe.

·
Registered
3,717 Posts
I wonder if the stock market has found its bottom or if we're seeing a so-called dead cat bounce (AKA bull trap).

BTW, good coffee here. Pour yourself a cup.
lotsocoffee.gif

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Ah yes... a politically correct "post whoring" thread.

I'm just hoping the housing market comes back this summer. My MIL is selling her house and downsizing to jump start a non-existant retirement fund since she's in her late 50's. I spent most of the winter working over there rebuilding a deck among many other major projects since the house has either had no or poor quality repairs done over the years. And right as we were coming down the home stretch this thing hits. So selfishly I want the economy to rebound quickly because I'm tired of supporting my MIL.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ah yes... a politically correct "post whoring" thread.

I'm just hoping the housing market comes back this summer. My MIL is selling her house and downsizing to jump start a non-existant retirement fund since she's in her late 50's. I spent most of the winter working over there rebuilding a deck among many other major projects since the house has either had no or poor quality repairs done over the years. And right as we were coming down the home stretch this thing hits. So selfishly I want the economy to rebound quickly because I'm tired of supporting my MIL.
Hey, everybody is a whore about something. :LOL: This one give us a chance to just talk without getting to far afield in someone else's thread.

It's sad to see that there are still people in this world who don't haven't looked after retirement. In my case I could have been one of those. When I married I didn't marry rich, but I did marry smart, although at the time I would not have said that. After we got married the better half made me put money away from every pay check. It wasn't much, and to be honest it pissed me off. When your first married you want to do stuff and go places and generally spend every penny you have. It was something we did because she was a fledgling banker.

40 years later when I was 62 I mentioned to my no Senior VP banker wife that I was thinking of retiring since I was as far in my profession as I wanted to be and had maxed out my pension. She asked me when I was going to retire and I told her I didn't know, but it would be just as soon as I found something else and proceeded to ask her how much money I realistically needed to bring in to keep us living as we were. She looked at me and laughed, telling me I didn't need to work ever again. I didn't know, she was the banker, I just did what she told me when it came to and IRA, 401K, deferred compensation account etc. She was the banker after all.

So I retired at 62 and never looked back. I worked for a month in the local Mega Mart in the Deli section. They promised me morning shift and limited weekend shifts. Turns out they wanted me for afternoon/evening shifts and every weekend. I do the cooking and since retiring the rest of the house work so TTFN to that. (TaTa For Now)

Until the pandemic I worked three days a week volunteering at a local hospital. I work in the mornings and it keeps me actively engaged with people. Besides, even though we have been laid off from our volunteer duties it hasn't hurt our paychecks from the job, cause as the old song used go, nothing from nothing leaves nothing. :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hoping all of you guys are in locations that either missed the weather over the weekend, or if you are in one of those places, you and your love ones are all save and undamaged.

In Kansas we expect such things on a daily basis. Saturday it was 80 degrees and Sunday it got down to 33 yesterday afternoon and was below freezing last night and it's still cold. 50's for highs the rest of the week.

Oops, time for another cup. :coffee:

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Okay, plplplpl, I have to ask, in your part of Canada do ever get tornadoes. We live in "tornado alley" so they are not anything new, but the storms here over the weekend were further east in places like Mississippi, etc were tornado's are much rarer.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Your storm rolled through MD overnight, we are on the tail end of it now... the Appalachians do a pretty good job of minimizing tornadoes in our area but we get 5-10 each year, mostly F0 or F1 that are short lived and damage a barn or throw some debris around.

My FIL (who passed about a year ago) had some issues with addiction and both of them lacked the maturity to ever plan for the future as they lived fairly charmed lives thanks to his parents funneling any money they needed. Now that he has passed my MIL realized the cash stream is closing so she is making some good decisions, it's just really late in the game for her.

We got married right out of college and it's been tough to consistently put away for retirement but we have whenever we could and when my wife finishes PA school and we get everything paid off we will be maxing everything out. I work for the government now so I'm in line for a pension and retirement healthcare even though my salary is slightly lower, so it all works out in the end.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I'm guessing that you get a whole lot more snow than we do. When I was a kid we used to get some pretty good snow storms, but these days winters mostly bring rain instead of snow.

Yeah, I know what you mean about putting money away, but you would be amazed at what ever $50 dollar a paycheck can do over 40 years. (I sure was!) I was a government worker as well and I maxed my pension, which for me is 75% of my best/highest three years. I had to pick up my health insurance until this last October when I turned 65, but we did have one thing that made it really nice, that was the drop system. The other thing I did was as I got raises, most of the time I would put a good portion if not all of the raise into my deferred comp account.

The drop system is a nice incentive to work longer than planned in my old profession. I worked at my job for 35 years, well 34 actually but on paper with all of my accrued sick time it was over 35 years. I maxed my pension at 30 years. The last 5 years I was in" the drop", which is where the entity I worked for would take and bank what they would have been paying me in retirement, while still paying me for working. 5 years is the max you can "drop back" and our accrued sick time can go towards your drop time.

When I retired I received a nice mid 6 figure check for my drop money they had been banking for me along with 3% interest on that money. I also had them pay me for all of my accrued vacation time (255 hours) instead of "vacationing out." I always hated when people vacationed out, as it deprived us of a person filling that position until that person was officially gone. Fortunately for me and my organization the powers to be realized that my position was a unique one, I was the only one that knew the job, and they brought in my replacement 6 weeks before I retired so I could train them.

My original plan was to work 20 and out, find a new job and build a second retirement. That was before they instituted the drop system.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Although my retirement fund has taken a big hit we all should stay the course as this current world-wide issue will pass and things ought to get back to normal hopefully sooner than later. The stock market remains unpredictable but there are a lot of interesting companies that have been knocked down to interesting lows. Not sure what to expect in the near future but the stay-at-home rules should help me get some projects done. Wishing everyone to have a great tomorrow with good health and staying safe.
Stay the course brother, stay the course. I am a firm believer that history repeats itself. The market will come back, it's just a matter of time. If it should ever fail completely then this will be the new reality.......

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Wow, just got an update on the storms over the weekend. I guess the south got hit harder than I realized. 19 dead and almost 1.5 million currently without power. They are ill prepared for such things as tornados or snow for that matter. But then here in Kansas I wouldn't know what to do if we had a hurricane.

Here other than the few bigger cities, most of the time tornado damage is mitigated to some extent by the population being in smaller towns and spread out. There is never a good time for a bad storm but now makes it doubly bad.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
I'm guessing that you get a whole lot more snow than we do. When I was a kid we used to get some pretty good snow storms, but these days winters mostly bring rain instead of snow.

Yeah, I know what you mean about putting money away, but you would be amazed at what ever $50 dollar a paycheck can do over 40 years. (I sure was!) I was a government worker as well and I maxed my pension, which for me is 75% of my best/highest three years. I had to pick up my health insurance until this last October when I turned 65, but we did have one thing that made it really nice, that was the drop system. The other thing I did was as I got raises, most of the time I would put a good portion if not all of the raise into my deferred comp account.

The drop system is a nice incentive to work longer than planned in my old profession. I worked at my job for 35 years, well 34 actually but on paper with all of my accrued sick time it was over 35 years. I maxed my pension at 30 years. The last 5 years I was in" the drop", which is where the entity I worked for would take and bank what they would have been paying me in retirement, while still paying me for working. 5 years is the max you can "drop back" and our accrued sick time can go towards your drop time.

When I retired I received a nice mid 6 figure check for my drop money they had been banking for me along with 3% interest on that money. I also had them pay me for all of my accrued vacation time (255 hours) instead of "vacationing out." I always hated when people vacationed out, as it deprived us of a person filling that position until that person was officially gone. Fortunately for me and my organization the powers to be realized that my position was a unique one, I was the only one that knew the job, and they brought in my replacement 6 weeks before I retired so I could train them.

My original plan was to work 20 and out, find a new job and build a second retirement. That was before they instituted the drop system.
We've had some really bad winters but the last 2 we've had less than 6" total... mostly cold rains and ice events.

Sounds like some awesome plans your organization had... we use the MD state pension system and it's definitely not that good, and no "drop" system or anything like that in place. But I know we can use the healthcare much earlier because my MIL (was a teacher, they use the MD state system as well) is using her retirement healthcare right now in her mid 50's.

A lot of people in my County do 30 years, go work private for 10-15 years to make bank then fully retire. My 30 years will be at 61, so at that point I'd probably just finish out with the County and gain a couple extra percentage points.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The drop plan happened to come about for us by way of some, shall we say less than reputable, city department heads looking to make it better for them. Thing is what was good for the goose was also good for the gander, so when they brought it in they had to bring it in for all. Some areas, such as mine, got the same drop back system. Others got what was called the drop forward system. The big difference in the two was that in the drop back, the moment you hit your pension, either 20 years/50% or 30 years/75% you were in the drop until you retired.

In the drop forward system those people did not have a pension, but had to and were encouraged to use the various saving methods such as 401K's and deferred comp as well as paying into SSN. In my situation, I will have limited SSN as I did not pay into SSN. I have other SSN point from before I worked for the city as well as part time work that I will claim when I have to at 70 or 72.

For those folks on the drop forward, they have to declare when they will enter the program and when they will leave the program and at that point they are gone. No changing their minds to stay longer. There are a few other differences that I don't completely understand, as I was not in that system, but it is a nice thing to have when you leave.

The bad thing for some is they look at it as one big play day pay day, buying boats, motorcycles etc. instead of putting it away. When I got my check I handed it to my wife, she opened up another investment account with it along with the others we already had. She's the banker and I let her take care of it as she knows what she is doing. Since I retired our investments, up until now, have been averaging around13% return on our investment.

·
Premium Member
329 Posts
Well starting with the weather, it hit 97 in my corner of the world yesterday, which is just crazy this early in the year.

In terms of work, both my wife and I are deemed essential. My wife is a RN, was sick last week, tested negative for the 'rona but is not permitted to return for 14 days minimum. I am working through all this - still getting full pay (but with a block on overtime) which I am thankful for. None of my family has the 'rona, which I am also thankful for.

Life is slower paced, boring if you will, but since I am still working there is a slight sense of normalcy. Outside the social distancing, seeing some empty shelves in stores, not being able to go out for a movie, a beer, or a meal - my daily routine is pretty much unchanged.

I am resisting the temptation to look at my 401K and IRA portfolios until after all this is over and we recover.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
My #2 son is having a chuckle at all of the people now working from home. He is a senior programer for a multi national software company that writes software for hospitals and the medical field. Several years ago, they decided to close out all of their offices except the main headquarters in Charolette and have everyone work from home. Got a big raise, put in a home office and they pay for his cable bill. Heck he has better cable speed than we do as he gets giga bite speed for free.

It's perfect for him as he is divorced with two grade school girls and is the primary custodian of his girls. This whole thing is basically normal for him right now with the exception of the girls being home. But their school district is on the ball and the girls are schooling at home via the internet.

As for me, other than not going to my volunteer job at the hospital, nothing much has changed. I don't go to movies, I'm content for them to come out on bluray, and watch therm here at home. Pee breaks with no missed scenes, and this perfectly explains why we don't go out to eat much anymore........

·
Registered
3,717 Posts
Okay, plplplpl, I have to ask, in your part of Canada do ever get tornadoes. We live in "tornado alley" so they are not anything new, but the storms here over the weekend were further east in places like Mississippi, etc were tornado's are much rarer.
Tornadoes are rare here, but by brother in Kentucky occasionally gets some close calls. Needless to say, we get our fair share of ice and snow here. It just finished melting in my yard last week.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
If you don't mind my asking, what part of Canada do you live in. I have a good friend that lives in Victoria B.C. and he's always jokingly asking, "what's snow?"

·
Registered
3,717 Posts
If you don't mind my asking, what part of Canada do you live in. I have a good friend that lives in Victoria B.C. and he's always jokingly asking, "what's snow?"
Hovering your mouse over the location flag beneath a member's avatar reveal the location details that have been entered (which everyone should do, by the way, so we can better help each other by knowing if members are in the rust belt or not, etc.).

Try it; you'll see where I am. :)

1 - 20 of 484 Posts