Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The check charging system keeps coming on and off. I have changed the alternator and battery on it and it still is going it. Its a 12 pilot touring 4x4.

·
Registered
3,682 Posts
The check charging system keeps coming on and off. I have changed the alternator and battery on it and it still is going it. Its a 12 pilot touring 4x4.
How's the ground cable from the battery to the frame look? If it looks good, sometime just unbolting it from the frame the tightening back can help or the contact point needs cleaning.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Following on to NG's guidance, the messages are triggered when system voltage is low with engine running, and specifically when the alternator isn't contributing enough. Ground connections are critical to that alternator function, including the ground for the PCM unit and the engine and the battery grounds in the engine bay. Sometimes it's stupid-simple stuff that gets neglected, like cleaning and resealing the battery termainl connections. A tired battery will overtax the alternator, making an actual load measurement important. Check the battery condition by testing he fluid in the cells for specific gravity is a good way to determine battery condition and remaining life.

My Pilot sits a lot in the non-winter months, so sits on a battery maintainer if it's not going to be driven within a few days. It saves a lot of waer and tear on both the battery and the alternator. With the COVID-19 social lockdowns, the Pilot and the other cars each site for weeks at a time without being driven. All are connected to maintainers right now. If your Pilot spends a lot of time not doing anything, even a cheap maintainer will save the battery, alternator, and often your patience and sanity,

There's not a lot to making the charging system and battery work together. Clean connections and a decent battery condition will allow an alternator to live a long and luxurious life. Alternator failure is a sign of something else weak in the battery and charging system.

Reactions: STMech

·
Registered
6,438 Posts
What is the condition of the drive belt and tensioner?
Are they still the original parts?
How many miles on the vehicle?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts