Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

What brand of timing belt water pump kit do you recommend?

• Aisin

Votes: 13 59.1%
  • AC Delco

Votes: 1 4.5%
  • Airtex

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Gates

Votes: 2 9.1%
  • GMB

• Ultra-Power

• US Motor Works

• EBay OEM Seller

• Honda Parts Department or Online

Votes: 7 31.8%
  • Continental

• Dayco

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well, I thought about making a poll, but I know it would be so lopsided for Aisin, I figured it would be pointless.
I was talked into turning this into a poll. Enjoy! 馃槂
Let me know to add more choices.

Reactions: twlinder

Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
I love gates kits, water pumps make noise and tensioners are short lived. More work for me, try to talk customers out of it, but some insist on using inferior parts.
Well OK then! I don't know what the used on the 08 @ 144K- (I know, shouldn't have waited that long, glad I didn't break a belt, bend some valves, etc.- It didn't though).
But @ 105 K from that, and when the 15 hits 105K-
I'm insisting on Aisin kits!!
Thanks

Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens peque帽o sparus tyre.
Well, I thought about making a poll, but I know it would be so lopsided for Aisin, I figured it would be pointless.
It's not too late, if only as an educational tool for those who might be tempted by a kit with a Gates water pump, no name tensioners or some random jobber kit from eBay.

Registered
Woohoo, it's now a poll. First in!

Registered
I gues TB WP kits not as exciting as an ATF poll. 炉\(銉)/炉
Only to the uninitiated.

... so sells it to buy a Honda Pilot with 104K miles.

Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
I only Voted Aisin b/c I learned it was among the best from this forum, have not use any yet.

And After watching a good video on all the steps to do a TB/WP/tensioner replacement, with removing the front motor mount, new coolant, etc.

I may never do one! LOL

Reactions: Nail Grease

Registered
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I only Voted Aisin b/c I learned it was among the best from this forum, have not use any yet.

And After watching a good video on all the steps to do a TB/WP/tensioner replacement, with removing the front motor mount, new coolant, etc.

I may never do one! LOL
Really not that bad. Especially now on 3rd gen. No power steering pump to remove and the drive tensioner and pulley does not have to be removed.

Reactions: The Todd

Registered
No power steering pump to remove and the drive tensioner and pulley does not have to be removed.
Guy who did it on my daughter's 2007 didn't put the PS fluid bottle back where it belongs, so it's kind of dangling loose. Any tips for her to get it back in place easily? Or just let it be?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Guy who did it on my daughter's 2007 didn't put the PS fluid bottle back where it belongs, so it's kind of dangling loose. Any tips for her to get it back in place easily? Or just let it be?
Should be a slide cradle for it clip in to.

Registered
Thanks, Does she need any tools or is it easy to slip into place by hand (without disconnecting anything either)?

The Pilots aren't near me at the moment, so I can't check.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks, Does she need any tools or is it easy to slip into place by hand (without disconnecting anything either)?

The Pilots aren't near me at the moment, so I can't check.
No tools, lift and slide into place. May take some effort since the hose is connected.

Reactions: plplplpl

Registered
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Just to add to this comment since there were a couple of votes for Gates TB WP kits. A family members Acura TL had Gates installed for its 1st TB WP change at 100k. It didn't make 50k miles before it started leaking. I don't blame the pump. The gasket went flat, loosing it's integrity.

Attachments

Registered
Do those who voted for the Aisin kit really think that it is the "best" - as in better performing than the OEM Honda parts?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thought I'd share this here on Piloteers.

Reactions: The Todd

Registered
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Do those who voted for the Aisin kit really think that it is the "best" - as in better performing than the OEM Honda parts?
Let's see what you get in the kit...
  • Timing Belt Mitsuboshi, an OEM supplier.
  • Water Pump by Aisin, an OEM supplier.
  • Timing Belt Tensioner by Aisin, an OEM supplier.
  • Tensioner Pulley by Koyo, an OEM supplier
  • Idler Pulley by Koyo, an OEM supplier.
I don't believe your loosing anything by going with an Aisin kit. Your gaining quite a bit of money in your pocket with no greater risk by buying Honda OEM. IMO, it's a no brainer.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts