Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

The 2004 Civic

2396 Views 46 Replies 9 Participants Last post by  Nail Grease
Welp, I've had the 2004 Civic a while after buying it at auction. Just to have a cheap beater car as a back up, if we should ever happen to be down a vehicle. I swept through the whole engine bay, including power steering rack replacement. Hadn't done much with it since the pandemic, so I decided to give it away to a young relative who just learned to drive (Ok'd by the parents). The only thing that was left to do is get a 4 wheel alignment. It was taken to a dealership for this service. I about died in my chair when the dealership told them they needed to replace the spark plugs, brake fluid and coolant, LOL! It was all done and new!
Reactions: The Todd
41 - 47 of 47 Posts

· Registered
Home of the 306k 2012 V6 Honda Crosstour
15,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·

· Registered
15,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
You're trying to reason with a guy who buys a cheap CV axle from the local auto parts store and doesn't seem to mind having to do the work all over again when that cheap CV axle fails almost immediately.
It was an inexpensive rebuilt OEM CV axle with a lifetime warranty from O'Reilly's Auto Parts.
No, what really frosts him is having to pay the exorbitant dealer price for an OEM Honda part that won't fall apart.
True, I like to save $. What's funny is you finally decide to buy OEM and you get sent one with the boot installed incorrectly. Or you have OEM fuel injectors that need replacing at 34k miles, or Gates/Unitta timing belts that are necessary to recall. I'm sure I can add more if I think long enough.

· Registered
10,603 Posts
It was an inexpensive rebuilt OEM CV axle with a lifetime warranty from O'Reilly's Auto Parts.
Did that "lifetime warranty" cover your labor cost? Or, was that just a fun afternoon out in the garage?

True, I like to save $. What's funny is you finally decide to buy OEM and you get sent one with the boot installed incorrectly. Or you have OEM fuel injectors that need replacing at 34k miles, or Gates/Unitta timing belts that are necessary to recall. I'm sure I can add more if I think long enough.
If you won't buy a Mitsuboshi timing belt, then I can't help you.

· Registered
15,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Did that "lifetime warranty" cover your labor cost? Or, was that just a fun afternoon out in the garage?
I may have lost an hour and a half or two doing the DIY again. It certainly made for interesting reading on Piloteers.org .
If you won't buy a Mitsuboshi timing belt, then I can't help you.
Gates/Unitta comes from the factory as OEM. My Aisin kit comes with a Mitsuboshi belt. Mitsuboshi is an OEM supplier, but obviously doesn't have the current contract with Honda. If they did, there wouldn't be a recall.

· Registered
13,321 Posts
Why the hate towards mechanics?
I don’t blame them for up selling. They make so little money off of oil changes and let’s face it, most people do the bare minimum maintenance so it’s not like the things they suggest are unreasonable (most of the time). I know people who go to the dealer and appreciate being up sold because they know nothing about what kind of service their cars need. Maybe they pay a little more for some stuff they don’t need, but it’s better than no maintenance.
Valid points, but it comes down to this simple paradigm:
  • Upsell parts or work you need:OK
  • Upsell parts or work you don't need: not OK

· Registered
15,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
  • Upsell parts or work you don't need: not OK
My advice to anyone being told they need something by the dealership that is unrelated to why you took it in, say no. If it's not a serious drivability problem, it can wait while you get opinions and/or do research on what it is.

41 - 47 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.