Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:13:

My Pilot's been in my life now since late December and 2000-plus miles. Somehow, someway, I've managed to keep this vehicle in its perfect delivery condition longer than any new car I've ever owned. But, here's my problem: I think I may be suffering from a heretofore unnamed neurosis: DREADING THAT FIRST DING (DTFD).

Are any of you out there experiencing this condition?

How many miles before you acquired that first blemish?

Are you going to accept the nicks/dings/dents of daily life, or fight the good fight against DTFD by visiting Dent Wizard and the like?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Just noticed one today 1250 miles later :mad: rear drivers side wheel well on the crease... Some people just don't care & have no respect for other people's property :11:

·
Registered
191 Posts
I, unfortunately, have 1 ding already!!

Luckily, it is not visible. My wife was getting out of the right rear and closed the door on the seat belt buckle. I was actually surprised that it punched a dent into the top of the wheel well. At least the paint did not chip, so it shouldn't rust out, but it is depressing knowing that it is there!!! :3: :3: :3:

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
kompers said:
I, unfortunately, have 1 ding already!!

Luckily, it is not visible. My wife was getting out of the right rear and closed the door on the seat belt buckle. I was actually surprised that it punched a dent into the top of the wheel well. At least the paint did not chip, so it shouldn't rust out, but it is depressing knowing that it is there!!! :3: :3: :3:
Feel your pain, kompers.

The second time my husband was behind the wheel, the seat belt didn't retract and he slammed the driver's door shut on the buckle. I was beside myself, but (luckily) I don't think it left a dent or mark. Anyway, I've decided not to look too closely. :eek:

·
Registered
113 Posts
Ding Avoided!

I took my wife Merna to the Walmart last weekend. The old guy next to us opened his pickup truck door, and it looked like the door was heading right for my Pilot. Fortunately, I thought quickly and pushed Merna between the door and the Pilot's passenger door.

I figure Merna's bruised hip will heal quickly, and I saved $$$ in body work.:2:

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Re: Ding Avoided!

foxhallow said:
I took my wife Merna to the Walmart last weekend. The old guy next to us opened his pickup truck door, and it looked like the door was heading right for my Pilot. Fortunately, I thought quickly and pushed Merna between the door and the Pilot's passenger door.

I figure Merna's bruised hip will heal quickly, and I saved $$$ in body work.:2:
What was Merna's opinion of your quick thinking?

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Re: Ding Avoided!

foxhallow said:

What was wrong with your hip?

·
Registered
186 Posts
Ziploc said:

My Pilot's been in my life now since late December and 2000-plus miles. Somehow, someway, I've managed to keep this vehicle in its perfect delivery condition longer than any new car I've ever owned. But, here's my problem: I think I may be suffering from a heretofore unnamed neurosis: DREADING THAT FIRST DING (DTFD).

Are you going to accept the nicks/dings/dents of daily life, or fight the good fight against DTFD by visiting Dent Wizard and the like?
:( My "wait" ended a couple of days ago. Wife backed into the garage, only not quite far enough - the door came down and made contact (handle on the garage door) with the hood - leaving a nice small crease about 4 inches wide. Will be having estimate for repair made soon!

bakerlar:3:

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Re: Re: That first "Ding"

bakerlar said:

:( My "wait" ended a couple of days ago. Wife backed into the garage, only not quite far enough - the door came down and made contact (handle on the garage door) with the hood - leaving a nice small crease about 4 inches wide. Will be having estimate for repair made soon!

Shouldn't an automatic door have failed to lower, detecting an object in its path?

Or did she yank down a manual door?

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Ziploc said:

Didn't even get the chance to DTFD. Took delivery on 12/13/02 (should have known better than to buy a car on Friday the 13th). 2 weeks ago, went outside to put new license plates on and someone (likely another SUV with rear mounted spare tire) had backed up into front (820 miles).

Lower trim was badly damaged and punctured the bumper. Front grill was pushed back about half an inch. Spare tire depressed a three-inch wide section of the leading edge of the hood. Left fender pushed back a fraction of an inch so that passenger door edge rubs against fender edge.

Preliminary estimate: $1500
:3: :3: :3:(820 miles)

·
Registered
92 Posts
2200 mile first ding. Grocery parking lot. Guess someone opened their door into the plastic trim part, chipping a little bit of paint.
This car is WIDE. Thats why its so roomy inside.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Re: Re: That first "Ding"

bakerlar said:

Yours on the front, ours on the back. (Garage door also.)
Must be those close VINs that have our Pilots sharing experiences.
(you=20604, ours=20620, both Havasu Blue)

·
Registered
186 Posts
Re: Re: Re: That first "Ding"

Ziploc said:

Shouldn't an automatic door have failed to lower, detecting an object in its path?

Or did she yank down a manual door?
Unfortunately our Moore-O-Matic openers are not the new-fangled type (house bult in 1986) and what they do is strike the object then reverse....a bit late I might add.

bakerlar:(

·
Registered
494 Posts
Ziploc,

11,000 miles and still no dings. I always park it away from other cars. I also avoid parking it in "low" parking spots at stores where loose carts can end up rolling into it. :13: I suffer from parking paranoia.

·
Registered
17 Posts
15,000 miles and no dings. Park well away from others if possible, back into the parking space, and drive with lights on. Besides, parking in the back of the lot means more exercise for us SOCAL folks suffering from the heat...

·
Registered
34 Posts
DINGS

I have no dings, but one scratch. I had the kayaks on top and opened the rear door too far. oops!! Minor scratch on the rear spoiler. Nobody knows that it is there, but I do and it kills me!!:25: :25: :32: :bonk: :1pat:

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Re: Re: Re: Re: That first "Ding"

bakerlar said:

Unfortunately our Moore-O-Matic openers are not the new-fangled type (house bult in 1986) and what they do is strike the object then reverse....a bit late I might add.

bakerlar:(
Sorry for my ignorance about how garage openers used to work--shows you I'm a johnny-come-lately to the world of (automatic) garage door openers.

I'm very glad they work nowadays by sensing an object in the way and moving up---not just for the sake of my vehicles but also my cat. He loves to tempt fate by running in and out under a closing garage door to make it reverse direction and go up.

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Tony said:
Ziploc,

11,000 miles and still no dings. I always park it away from other cars. I also avoid parking it in "low" parking spots at stores where loose carts can end up rolling into it. :13: I suffer from parking paranoia.
You can bet that most of us new Pilot owners suffer from varying degrees of parking paranoia.

I don't worry too much about "close encounters" in the parking lot at work, but I more than make up for it at the following establishments:

1. Any grocery store
2. Wal-Mart (probably the worst in this regard of the "big-box" stores)
3. Shopping mall :3:

About the best I can say about the first ding is that after the pain starts to wear off, I actually feel a kind of relief that I've passed that unwelcome milestone. Weird, I know.

·
Registered
34 Posts
My Pilot was hit in the parking ramp at work on Christmas Eve. I was waiting in line behind two other vehicles that were waiting for someone to pull out of a parking space so they could take their spot. I watched this person walk in front of my vehcile, get into her pickup truck and proceed to back out of her parking spot smashing into the passenger side of my Pilot. The truck also had a large trailer hitch! There was $1800.00 worth of damage to both doors including replacing both pieces of side molding. Fortunately I was able to get it into the body shop that day and had it back in a week. The worst part was not being able to drive it to Chicago for Christmas and show it off to my very jealous brothers!

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
RNPilot said:
My Pilot was hit in the parking ramp at work on Christmas Eve. I was waiting in line behind two other vehicles that were waiting for someone to pull out of a parking space so they could take their spot. I watched this person walk in front of my vehcile, get into her pickup truck and proceed to back out of her parking spot smashing into the passenger side of my Pilot. The truck also had a large trailer hitch! There was $1800.00 worth of damage to both doors including replacing both pieces of side molding. Fortunately I was able to get it into the body shop that day and had it back in a week. The worst part was not being able to drive it to Chicago for Christmas and show it off to my very jealous brothers!
WOW, I'd say that qualifies as one heckuva "ding" !!!!:eek:

1 - 20 of 37 Posts