Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well...stupid me. Figured it would work like the salesman explained, (but didn't demonstrate.)

This was prompted by the tragic story in yesterday's paper about an 11 year old child dying in a power window accident. I decided to test mine to make sure it would automatically reverse if it encountered an obstacle. Well....verdict is in...and it DOESN"T!

I have a bruised and sore arm to prove the result. The window continued to push upwards and never released its' pressure on its' own. I got my book out to read about the feature and was VERY DISAPPOINTED to learn the feature is only in the driver's window(although clearly not effective even there.) Seems like that would be a safety feature *especially* where children would be sitting. I was already pretty disappointed that the passenger front window couldn't be operated from the driver's control panel with the back windows locked. I don't think Honda thought all the window stuff out quite as well as other features.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Apparently, I didn't read my manual well enough (or at all :rolleyes: ) because I did not know that feature only applied to the driver's window! That seems a little odd to only apply this to one window on the vehicle.
I am also sorry to hear that it did not function the way it was intended to! I guess I never thought to "test" such a thing. Thanks for bitin' the bullet and trying that out!

·
Registered
103 Posts
Weird, I read the story about the 11 year old also and tried to test the auto reverse on the windows. I too was very dissapointed it didn't work. Luckily that when I told my friend about this feature he volunteered his arm for the test. Poor him :eek:

BTW I also wanted to say Hi to everyone. I'm new to the Forum. I just purchased a 03 Pilot EX in redrock pearl and installed a safari bar.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
I would guess that it only applies to the driver's side window because that's the only window that has the auto up feature. Too bad, since it would certainly be useful on all the windows, but that window has an added risk.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
John K said:
Weird, I read the story about the 11 year old also and tried to test the auto reverse on the windows. I too was very dissapointed it didn't work. Luckily that when I told my friend about this feature he volunteered his arm for the test. Poor him :eek:

BTW I also wanted to say Hi to everyone. I'm new to the Forum. I just purchased a 03 Pilot EX in redrock pearl and installed a safari bar.
Hey Welcome Johnk! Good to see you here! :29:

I think the thing that irritates me is what M3K posted about the passenger window not operating if the windows are locked. Annoying as heck! :mad:

·
Registered
103 Posts
Sage said:

I think the thing that irritates me is what M3K posted about the passenger window not operating if the windows are locked. Annoying as heck! :mad:
I agree with that one too.

Thanks for the wecome...

·
Registered
103 Posts

·
Registered
486 Posts
Um, why would anyone test this with their own limbs?. How about a roll of paper towels or something?

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
MDXLite....I kinda expected it to work......I only have 1100 miles on the thing. But yes, in hindsight, a roll of towels would have been preferable. While I do typically have my arms with me in the car, I don't typically carry a roll of paper towels. One would think I would have waited until I got the towels, but again, hindsight.....:(

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
my3kids said:
Well...stupid me. Figured it would work like the salesman explained, (but didn't demonstrate.)

This was prompted by the tragic story in yesterday's paper about an 11 year old child dying in a power window accident. I decided to test mine to make sure it would automatically reverse if it encountered an obstacle. Well....verdict is in...and it DOESN"T!

I have a bruised and sore arm to prove the result. The window continued to push upwards and never released its' pressure on its' own. I got my book out to read about the feature and was VERY DISAPPOINTED to learn the feature is only in the driver's window(although clearly not effective even there.) Seems like that would be a safety feature *especially* where children would be sitting. I was already pretty disappointed that the passenger front window couldn't be operated from the driver's control panel with the back windows locked. I don't think Honda thought all the window stuff out quite as well as other features.
Which window did you try?

Where you holding the switch or letting it go up automaticly (drivers window only)?

·
Registered
186 Posts
John K said:

What vehicle does anyone know about that has power windows "without" auto up feature that reverses when it meets an obstacle? I think Honda is one of first to have the auto up reversing feature, and I commend them for it.

bakerlar:p

·
Registered
180 Posts
Just noticed from another post...

Just saw a posting of a page in the manual and wondered whether this might be the situation for m3K...

If the battery is disconnected or goes dead, the AUTO function is disabled (also if the driver's window fuse is removed). To reset it, start the engine, open the window all the way, pull back on the switch to close the window all the way, and continue to hold the switch for 2 more seconds. This should reset the auto-reverse feature.

As others have noted, this only applies to the driver's window because it is the only window with the auto-up feature.

·
Registered
408 Posts
I have kid's too, but all the time I locked the windows (why? because of the helicopter effect, not for safety) but they always complain about the windows locked.

I do not try to be on the side of the automobile industry, but the car has a lock bottom to stop the passenger’s windows operation only the driver’s window works and is the one with the reverse feature.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts