Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some help guys. I thought I wanted a silver PILOT, and that is what my dealer is searching for. He thinks he'll have one in 3 weeks or so. He does have a black one on the lot, and I've been debating between the 2. My main concern is that the black will be hard to keep clean, and you see every little nick, ding, etc.... I've had 2 black cars already, and when they're clean, they look SO good. So, I guess this is somewhat of an informal poll.... if you had to choose between the 2.... which one and why?

:confused:

Thx

·
Registered
797 Posts
I agree with your analysis of Black. Traded in a Black Cherokee on my Havasu Blue Pilot. My only comment is pick 3 colors you are willing to settle on and go with those. I have been screwed in the past by a dealer who played games when I held out for a particular color.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Does the interior color matter to you? We avoided some colors because the dark grey interior seemed TOO dark, especially when viewed with other interior components that were already grey, such as the instrument panel and center console. The Fern interior on the Sagebrush provided more contrast, which to us was more pleasing.

·
Registered
919 Posts
If you aren't one to put much time into exterior cleaning, you can't go wrong with silver. It doesn't require much effort to maintain a great shine and hides dirt fairly well between washes. You also don't notice scratches/swirls as much on silver. On the other hand, a freshly washed & waxed black vehicle is hard to beat in terms of beauty/WOW effect.

Chris

·
Registered
449 Posts
Back in Black

Black Pilot
Black F-150 4X4
Black Accord
Black Chev 1500
Black Passat
Black Acura Integra

We are the black car family as you can tell from our current and most recent vehicles. If you don't mind washing your vehicle a few more times a year, get black. We purposely avoided some Pilot colors based upon the interior color. We did not care for the saddle interior, but were comfortable with the gray and fern interiors.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Color

I scratched my head for a long time deciding color. I love black as well. But given how hard it is to wash an SUV, I went with Silver.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Tough decision

Black and silver were my first choices as well. I was pretty sure I wanted black because the door handles, mud gaurds, etc. all blended in, but the more I looked at the silver, the more it grew on me. I actually liked the contrast of the tinted windows, door handles, grill, and the other gray/black exterior features. That, coupled with the fact that black looks great when it's all shined up, but not so great when it's dirty, and I know myself well enough to know that I don't have the time to maintain a perfect shine all the time, made silver the right choice for me. There's also the heat factor when it's 100 degrees outside and your Pilot's been sitting in the sun all day, you can fry an egg on the seat of a black car. However, the Pilot's A/C system takes care of that pretty efficiently. Decisions, decisions.

Another thing to try is to check out other SUVs that are about the same size and similar style of the Pilot as you're driving around. Notice how they look when they are clean and when they are dirty. Also, picture yourself in your new Pilot. How do you feel with black? How do you feel with silver?

Well, I'm out of ideas. I'm sure you'll be happy no matter what you choose! Good luck!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Twinkie --
Nice mix of sedans and pick-ups. Are you hoping to replace your sedan/pick-up combination with your new Pilot? Or will you still keep a second vehicle around?

Which raises the question, what is the ideal second vehicle to a Pilot? A sedan for its economy and comfort or a pick-up for its towing and utility?

Seems to me the Pilot does a pretty good job of covering all the bases so when we get one we will probably be a one-car family. (my wife doesn't drive much).

·
Registered
311 Posts
So in Canada they don't have the Evergreen and Sage colors. That's odd...where better to have an Evergreen Pilot than the beautiful conifer forests and country-side of Canada.

·
Registered
449 Posts
cwg said:
Twinkie --
Nice mix of sedans and pick-ups. Are you hoping to replace your sedan/pick-up combination with your new Pilot? Or will you still keep a second vehicle around?

Which raises the question, what is the ideal second vehicle to a Pilot? A sedan for its economy and comfort or a pick-up for its towing and utility?

Seems to me the Pilot does a pretty good job of covering all the bases so when we get one we will probably be a one-car family. (my wife doesn't drive much).
We are most of our way down to the Pilot and the 99 F-150 for now. Sold the Integra, the Chev 1500, and the Accord, and the '02 Passat (in-laws are driving). I drive the F-150 to work daily (10 miles) and my stay at home wife drives the Pilot for kid hauling, etc. For us, a truck and Pilot is a good match. I think we will probably stick here for a while. Until 4 years from now, my daughter will be old enough to drive :eek:

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Black it is....

Just talked to my salesman, and there are no silver PILOTs to be found. He said they would have to build one and it could take about 6 weeks. So, black wins by default.... I guess I just have to spend some extra time keeping it clean! :2:

Hopefully I can pick it up in a few days..... now the anticipation builds!!! :5:

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Well finally... Black it is then. Don'tcha just love it when ya gotta make a difficult decision and then - voila - someone makes it for you!
The black Pilot is super sharp! Congratulations! :29:

·
Registered
82 Posts
Wannapilot...

If you are just as happy with Black as Silver then go drive it off the lot and don't read any further...

...but if you would prefer silver, then you might still look around rather then relying on your dealers word that their arent any silvers to be found. Generally if a Dealer has one color on the lot (and time is ticking away on the holdback that he gets from honda for selling it quickly) and you are considering it he'll walk you into getting what he has rather than really looking for the other color and having to hassle with another dealer...

if you are still interested in silver, than at least take a look at www.dealernet.com where many dealers (including yours) publish their inventory of vehicles (I'm not sure how fast they update it since pilot's move quickly). It might be worth it to at least email the other dealers that show a combined dozen or so silver pilots within an hour or two of you to see if they have them and will give them to you at the price you are willing to pay.
:rolleyes:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Sagebrush/Sandstone

From the brochure and name, I was all set for the sagebrush color. But after I saw one on a lot, it was a big dissappointment. It turned out so dark and very blue/grey. I was counting on that color as the others are so common.
I had eliminated the Sandstone early on, but after seeing it, turns out that seems to be the best looking for me.

I guess you can't put too much into those pretty brochures and fancy names.

:7:

·
Registered
263 Posts
Re: Sagebrush/Sandstone

sjwsmw said:
From the brochure and name, I was all set for the sagebrush color. But after I saw one on a lot, it was a big dissappointment. It turned out so dark and very blue/grey. I was counting on that color as the others are so common.
I had eliminated the Sandstone early on, but after seeing it, turns out that seems to be the best looking for me.
Yes, I would have like Sagebrush to be more like the brochure as well, but I still like it, and it really looks great in direct sunlight. I think Sandstone is too brown - I think they should have stuck with Mesa Beige. But for us, the saddle interior was too light - we thought it would not age very well.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Re: Black it is....

WannaPilot said:
Just talked to my salesman, and there are no silver PILOTs to be found. He said they would have to build one and it could take about 6 weeks. So, black wins by default.... I guess I just have to spend some extra time keeping it clean! :2:

Hopefully I can pick it up in a few days..... now the anticipation builds!!! :5:
Good choice my friend. My opinion is biased though. (Check out my signature line and you'll see I got the Black.) One very cool thing about this color is that in sunlight you can see subtle blue metallic flakes in the paint. Enjoy!!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts