Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Honda Pilot Ex-l 4wd modern steel metallic
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking into getting a 2014 Pilot ex-l 4wd. Can anyone give me advice on what to look for and listen for on the test drive? Was looking at 2013 too with less miles but wasn't sure if getting an older model with less miles was better. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
9,519 Posts
I am looking into getting a 2014 Pilot ex-l 4wd. Can anyone give me advice on what to look for and listen for on the test drive? Was looking at 2013 too with less miles but wasn't sure if getting an older model with less miles was better. Thanks in advance.
2013 2014 meh, it's all about how well it was taken care of.
Rust is #1 concern, then engine, transmission, driveability issues.

Reactions: bdozer1965

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It is not from the salt belt. Texas rig. Those are the years that are in my price range. And I like the reliability of Honda. SIL had a Pilot she drove it for about 400k miles.

·
Registered
9,519 Posts
It is not from the salt belt. Texas rig. Those are the years that are in my price range. And I like the reliability of Honda. SIL had a Pilot she drove it for about 400k miles.
I'm in Texas too and we have had a lot of vehicles coming in from the north with rust issues. I'd run the VIN to find some history but crawling under the vehicle would be recommend. I think the year models you are looking at are great with one negative that can be fixed. Disable the VCM.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Vin check shows it has always been a texas rig. So the VCM can be disabled?

·
Registered
8,964 Posts
I am looking into getting a 2014 Pilot ex-l 4wd. Was looking at 2013 too with less miles but wasn't sure if getting an older model with less miles was better.
Timing belt replacement is due at 7 years (or 105K miles).
If you don't have proof (as in receipts) showing that work has been done, deduct $1,500 from your offer to cover the cost.

Also. check the VIN to be sure that the airbag recalls have been completed.
Recall Information for Safety & Defects | Honda Owners Site

·
Registered
9,519 Posts
Vin check shows it has always been a texas rig. So the VCM can be disabled?
Yes, I use S-VCM.
As mentioned, timing belt water pump service is due every 7 years and 105k miles. DIY can be done for around $250. It's $1200 to $1600 at a dealership.

Reactions: briantii

·
Registered
2007 Pilot EXL, 2012 Civic LX, 2007 VTX1300C
217 Posts
I wouldn't focus too much on the mileage being an issue because a vehicle with low odometer for the age could indicate the vehicle sat idle more often than being driven which would only be good IF it were kept in a garage or worse, the vehicle was only driven on very short trips which never lets the engine run at its full operating temperature long enough to keep the internals clean.

always ask for and look at maintenance records and during the test drive keep the radio off and listen carefully for any noises under the hood and any metal grinding sounds while driving.

A second gen Pilot should still drive smooth even if it still has the original shocks and springs on it which may also need replacing soon in addition to the other items mentioned.

·
Registered
9,519 Posts
Hopefully we hear of a happy new Pilot owner.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Take a look at the sticky thread at the top of the forum window -- the one about test driving a used Pilot: Advice for test driving a used Pilot

And -- Welcome to Piloteers! Populated by fellow owners and enthusiasts who care about helping others as we have been helped by those who were here and welcomed us. <- Need to verify my sentence structure... Anyway, you are among friends here.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
... or in any of the recently flooded areas between Galveston and Houston? A sniff of the carpet under the seats, along with a visual of same and the padding for staining is a good starting point if there's any suspicion. Corrosion at the seat mounts is a dead giveaway too.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
OK so, these things sell fast I keep looking and waiting on bank. I found a 2014 good maintenance and mileage at 112,000.also found a 2012 with up to Dat good mai

·
Super Moderator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,304 Posts
We can all tell you plenty of things to look for but, if you are not a trained mechanic then it is still a roll of the dice when buying used. Best thing you can do when buying used is to take any vehicle you are considering purchasing to a trusted mechanic and pay them the $, usually around $50, to give the vehicle a complete and thorough inspection and then tell you what if anything they find that is either a current or potential problem with that particular vehicle.

In Canada they have a series of TV programs by Mike Holmes that deal with issues found after buying a home.
Holmes on Homes, Holmes Inspection, Holmes Makes It Right, Holmes: Buy It Right, & Holmes 911

There is no Mike Holmes either here or in Canada for used vehicles with discovered problems after the purchase. Getting the vehicle inspected by a qualified mechanic is your best bet to ward off potential post purchase problems.

Good luck with your search.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Upon researching the 2014 has more problem with vcm than the 2012. Correct me if I'm wrong.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I bought a 2014 Touring with 180,000km on it and love it. My first purchase was the S-VCM and it runs awesome.

·
Registered
9,519 Posts
Upon researching the 2014 has more problem with vcm than the 2012. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Some of my thoughts...
  • Carfax or VIN check. Look for accidents, flood, recalls, milage discrepancy etc
  • Search for maintenance records. When was the timing belt water pump job done or has it been done?
  • I would plan on disabling the VCM before I purchase on "any" Honda equipped with VCM.
  • I prefer to buy 2wd because it's less maintenance and less to go wrong. I really have no use for it here on South Texas highways.
  • Look under the vehicle for body rust, damage and oil leaks/drips. Is there any oil on the ground or under the engine?
  • I'd check the transmission fluid. Is it nice and red, or burnt brown?
  • Does the transmission shift smoothly?
  • Check the oil, is it clean?
  • Hold your hand on top of the engine at idle. Is it shaking or smooth?
  • Is there any knocking sounds in the engine?
  • Hold your hand on an open door at idle, is there a lot of vibration coming through from the engine?
  • Is there any vibration or shaking at highway speed?
  • Does it hold a straight line going down the road?
  • Is the steering wheel stable when driving?
  • Does the vehicle shake when braking?
  • Check tires. Tread depth and look for dry rot. What are the tire manufacturing dates? This will give you an idea if you need to spend money on tires soon.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Lyninsky --

The 2012 to 2015 models are identical, so limiting your search to a particular year in that range won't gain you anything. Buy the best-maintained, best condition, lowest-mileage example you can find in your budget, and you'll be golden.

The 2014 has no more or less VCM problems than any other year in the series range. Part of the inspection of your purchase candidate might include a look at the spark plugs, where oil coking or fouling on some might offer a clue about the VCM history and any damage that might have happened. Checking plug condition and compression is usually a deeper dive ($) than a $50 pre-purchase inspection might reveal, so save that for after you've checked everything else and settled on possible VCM as the last "filter" in your selection process. If it's going to be your car after the inspection, consider putting new plugs back in rather then the old ones.

Know that, while you might read here about VCM issues as certain death for all Pilots in the series range, reality is that a small percentage actually experience fatal problems. Plan to install one of the VCM disablers recommended by the group here, and think of it as very cheap insurance against the possibility of a future problem.

Note how happy I am to help you spend money on stuff like inspections and spark plugs. What are friends for?... Plugs are usually part of a timing belt replacement project, as the ~~100k replacement intervals coincide. That belt service runs between about $1k and $1.5k depending on who does it, assuming you choose not to dedicate a day, a language lesson for your kids, and a couple $hundred in parts to do it yourself.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Consumer Reports data indicates 2012, 2015, 2015 all above average reliability. If anything, VCM likley became slightly less problematic as PCM updates came out in the later model years--would still bypass it as soon as it was mine. In 2021, I'd opt for a '14 or '15 with anything less than 120k miles and had timing belt service if it had over 95k mi. For prospective vehicles, hire an hour of a mechanic's time to run through the bullet list Grease provided. Use whatever he finds in haggling the buy.

·
Registered
3,767 Posts
Assuming all '15's were manufactured in '14... '21 is 7 years later to any second gen you are looking it should ideally have had the timing belt replaced regardless of miles. I plan on replacing the belt in our '15 with 65k miles this year.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts