Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the chance to get a set of Tesla S wheels with 245 35 21 tires dirt cheap. Should i have any issues on my 2012 Pilot?

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
2,939 Posts
Even if the bolt pattern matches I wouldn’t do it unless the fully loaded weight (vehicle plus payload) of the Tesla S is the same or greater than the Pilot when it’s fully loaded.

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
Even if the bolt pattern matches I wouldn’t do it unless the fully loaded weight (vehicle plus payload) of the Tesla S is the same or greater than the Pilot when it’s fully loaded.
It could actually be, those sumbitches are heavy with all those battery packs!

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
Hell yah I would do it!

Tesla S curb weight is 4941lbs, 12 honda pilot curb weight without the 500lb driver is only 4550lbs
send us pics when installed I may do the same :)

·
Registered
122 Posts
Your ride is going to be rougher with those rims too. I noticed a difference when I went from 18 to 20 and you are going to 21.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
The bolt pattern on the Tesla wheels is 5 x 120mm, while our gen-2 pilots are 5 x 130mm. They won't fit. See correct info below.

Further, the Pilot depends on a "hub-centric" fit, where there's a relief in the wheel face that fits snug on the hub and keeps the wheel centered on that hub. Folks have reported that they have fitted Camaro SS rims on their Pilots, after adding a spacer ring that keeps the wheel centered on the Pilot hub.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
The bolt pattern on the Tesla wheels is 5 x 120mm, while our gen-2 pilots are 5 x 130mm. They won't fit.

Further, the Pilot depends on a "hub-centric" fit, where there's a relief in the wheel face that fits snug on the hub and keeps the wheel centered on that hub. Folks have reported that they have fitted Camaro SS rims on their Pilots, after adding a spacer ring that keeps the wheel centered on the Pilot hub.
Nope 5 X 120mm

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
I stand corrected. I must have been thinking about one of the other toys in the garage.

The centering ring on the hub still needs to fit the wheel perfectly. That's the 64.1mm dimension on the chart. What size is used in the Tesla wheels?

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Curiosity drove me to look at the Tesla wheels specs. Looks like the 64.1mm center bore is common to both, so they will bolt up. The offset on the Tesla S wheels is 40mm vs. the Honda ET45, which -probably- isn't enough difference to worry about.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Did you pull the trigger? With a rougher ride, a bit worse gas mileage, and this video as a reference (
) I would steer clear. But that is me, and I do wonder what they look like on your pilot.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Note that the Model S wheels will fit, while the Model 3 wheels have a smaller bolt pattern.

As far as the pothole and the rim fracture, well.... That's damage is common. That doesn't make it any easier to put up with, of course.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts