Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

Terrible Gas Mileage

31196 Views 57 Replies 40 Participants Last post by  plplplpl
I've a 5500 Miles on my 2005 Pilot.
Looks like Gas Mileage is dropping consistently. last time I got 12.5
MPG. Mostly City Drivings. I have not got less than 14-15 so far in the city.
12.5 is way below the acceptable number. Now i've heard that it goes down in winter. but 12.5? I'm a very careful driver. Always check the tire pressure and maintenance schedule. Does anyone is getting this kind of Mileage on their Pilot?
41 - 58 of 58 Posts

· Registered
109 Posts
So I just finished a trip to Reno,NV with full load of 4 guys and golf bags with luggage.:22: :D:D:D :2:

I have 280 miles on the trip odometer from my last fill up which was in Reno, NV and I have 68 miles still to go per OB computer. So I am guessing I got about 300 miles to a full tank with all the mountain ups and downs and traffic issues (damn you TWD's {Texting While Driving} idiots:bonk::30::cursin:).

Again, approximating about 16-17 mpg. now that is okay. :29:

Let's see what the next tank full brings with city driving.

· Registered
1 Posts
I have an 07 Pilot. I have horrible gas mileage also. I was getting 16 MPG until I took it to the dealer in May '15 to change the timing belt. Since then, I've been getting 10-12 MPG. I have 79,000 miles on my Pilot and and ready to trade it in. We have taken it to an independent auto shop and the dealer to check why the mileage is so bad. No one can figure it out. I changed the spark plugs, did the idle reset, put air in the tires. It's so frustrating!!!

· Registered
363 Posts
We just traded our 2007 EX-L (2WD) with almost 125,000 miles on it.

From day one to the 125K our average MPG was 20.2 with 70+% of it city driving.

We live in a city of 36,000 and that will be different than say Houston, Dallas, Chicago, NYC, Miami, LA, etc. so keep that in mind. :wink:

The best we got was 27.2 (twice) and the worst was 15.4 (once) when we were on vacation in the big city with lots of sight seeing etc.

We had all maintenance done at our Honda dealer and when the MM said to have it done. :smile:

We have just over 1,000 miles on our new one and the average so far for my wife driving back and forth to work and then errands etc. is 24 MPG with ECON on all the time. :grin:

I can't wait to take a road trip to see what she will do but normally vacations not so good on MPG. We have 4 in our family with my wife, 20 yo daughter, 17 yo son, and myself. Then add the tons of luggage and drive 75+ everywhere and it drops. :wink:

BigDozer66

· Registered
2 Posts
Last week we took a trip in my wife's 2016 Pilot Touring. After 100 miles, the average was 30.8 mpg. That was with the Eco button engaged, but I do not like how it dulls the throttle response. On my wife' old 2012 Honda Civic, I consistantly got better gas mileage with the Eco button turned off. Maybe tomorrow evening I will have a chance to try to beat 30.8 mpg with the Eco Button turned off. I'll post back what happens.

· Registered
4 Posts
My MPG

I have a 2009 Honda Pilot Touring 2WD. I bought it with 59k and currently have 105k on it now. I have made a couple of trips from Vegas to San Diego. The first trip I made I averaged 27MPG. Over the past couple of years Ive noticed a huge drop in MPGs and I done all my own maintenance. This past week I did another trip to San Diego and averaged 21.5 MPG. I can't seem to increase my MPG although this could be due to a head wind I encountered. Before the trip I changed the Oil, Oil filter, Air Filter, Spark plugs, Power Steering fluid, Brake fluid, and ran BG44k fuel system cleaner through a tank of premium fuel. I will try the PCV valve when I get back and update post. BTW tires are at 35psi.

· Registered
4 Posts
My MPG

I have a 2009 Honda Pilot Touring 2WD. I bought it with 59k and currently have 105k on it now. I have made a couple of trips from Vegas to San Diego. The first trip I made I averaged 27MPG. Over the past couple of years Ive noticed a huge drop in MPGs and I done all my own maintenance. This past week I did another trip to San Diego and averaged 21.5 MPG. I can't seem to increase my MPG although this could be due to a head wind I encountered. Before the trip I changed the Oil, Oil filter, Air Filter, Spark plugs, Power Steering fluid, Brake fluid, and ran BG44k fuel system cleaner through a tank of premium fuel. I will try the PCV valve when I get back and update post. BTW tires are at 35psi.

· Registered
1,657 Posts
Recently I am getting over 23 MPG 70% HW, 30% city. This is the best I could get in more than a year since buying 2006 Pilot with less than 100k. Still better than my minivan.

· Registered
1,657 Posts
I am still looking at the fuel level in disbelief, as the Pilot is getting better and better on gas.
The only thing I can link to the improved economy is replacing the PCV valve. Around the time when I replaced it, fuel economy started to get better and better. Am I on glue or can a new PCV valve really improve things from circa 20 MPG to almost 24?

Nothing at all changed in my driving route/distance/style (I live in a groundhog day).

· Registered
2003 Honda Pilot EXL
1 Posts
Hey Guys,

Im in the same Horrible MPG boat! Here's my situation - I have first Gen 2003 Honda Pilot EX-L. 2nd owner for more than half its life and love the look, size, clearance. Awesome daily driver except for the MPG!!!! Used to get 16-18 mpg in the city but the past 5 years been getting 12-15 mpg. Im about to role over 175K miles. Been using a bottle of Techron every 3000miles bumps the mpg up 1-2mpg for a short while. taking the plenum lid off and cleaning gunk in the channels every year when steadies the idle and increase mpg and responsiveness for about 6- 8months... i dont get any codes, but i do feel a bit of a misfire rough idle every once and while when cold start, idle doesn't bounce, its steady with the "misfire rough rotation" but while cold if I shift into reverse or drive the idle will damn near drop to 500 rpm... after a bit of driving it does smooth out. however, every now and again you can feel the roughness but again no idle needle dance. Changed sparks out 45k ago, Coils are original, pcv original... Thinking of getting Iridium's and NKG set of new coils... maybe that fix the engine roughness and bump mpg??

Any insight would greatly be appreciate!

· Registered
1 Posts
I've a 5500 Miles on my 2005 Pilot.
Looks like Gas Mileage is dropping consistently. last time I got 12.5
MPG. Mostly City Drivings. I have not got less than 14-15 so far in the city.
12.5 is way below the acceptable number. Now i've heard that it goes down in winter. but 12.5? I'm a very careful driver. Always check the tire pressure and maintenance schedule. Does anyone is getting this kind of Mileage on their Pilot?
I just bought my 05 Honda pilot used there's 163,000 me Les and I'm getting about 12-13 mpg and it's killing me, I noticed the VTM lock button is gone do it makes me wonder if I'm stuck in 4wd but there is not a light on and it doesn't feel like it, man I was so excited to get this car for my family but I can't afford to drive it with gas prices like they are

· Registered
Home of the 306k 2012 V6 Honda Crosstour
15,004 Posts
I just bought my 05 Honda pilot used there's 163,000 me Les and I'm getting about 12-13 mpg and it's killing me, I noticed the VTM lock button is gone do it makes me wonder if I'm stuck in 4wd but there is not a light on and it doesn't feel like it, man I was so excited to get this car for my family but I can't afford to drive it with gas prices like they are
Is the check engine light on?

· Registered
13,321 Posts
Can you scan for codes? If you don't have a scan tool, some big chain auto parts stores will read your codes for free. If you get some, post them here.

41 - 58 of 58 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.