Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to Rockauto , they claim that the manufacturer highly recommends to have the belt tensioner replaced when replacing the serpentine belt. Being that the pilot has a 110k on her just wanted to replace the belt . I don't see in the the maintenance sheets stating that the tensioner "needs" to be replaced .

Thoughts on this ?

·
Registered
126 Posts
I've read they should both be done at once. For reference, my tensioner went at 8x,000 and the belt was fine, so I had the whole procedure done.

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
Went to Rockauto , they claim that the manufacturer highly recommends to have the belt tensioner replaced when replacing the serpentine belt. Being that the pilot has a 110k on her just wanted to replace the belt . I don't see in the the maintenance sheets stating that the tensioner "needs" to be replaced .

Thoughts on this ?
I've heard this type of thing before... Same as "replace coil packs when replacing spark plugs" or "replace springs when replacing shocks".

Personally, unless removing the belt is a huge pain in the butt or I am flush with cash (which I am not) I will stick with replacing what needs replacing and replace other parts if/when they fail.

Reactions: The Todd

·
Super Moderator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,277 Posts
I would normally change out the tensioner at the same time I change the serpentine belt, however that is a part that if it is not changed at the same time, and fails later, it is not hard to access to change, unlike a timing belt tensioner. To me it is one of those at your own discretion things.

·
Administrator
2016 CRV Touring AWD, 2005 Pilot RIP.
16,042 Posts
Absolutely 100% do both. What happens is that the spring in the tensioner gets weaker overtime. Hit a big puddle of water around 90-100k and the tension is too little to prevent belt slippage

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Absolutely 100% do both. What happens is that the spring in the tensioner gets weaker overtime. Hit a big puddle of water around 90-100k and the tension is too little to prevent belt slippage
Yes .. I'm thinking of doing both they are not really expensive to do . ALSO ...good brand to get for the belt?

·
Administrator
2016 CRV Touring AWD, 2005 Pilot RIP.
16,042 Posts
I've used Gates, AC Delco and Continental in the past. Some people dislike Gates but they are a dominant player.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've used Gates, AC Delco and Continental in the past. Some people dislike Gates but they are a dominant player.
What about Dayco ...

Reactions: Rocky

·
Registered
506 Posts
For me it's a "why not?" I didn't think the price of the kit was unreasonable.

I used the Gates kit recently. Easy install, all good so far (500 miles).

·
Read Only
293 Posts
You’re just on bought time by not replacing it. Eventually the belt will squeak and then you’ll grease the belt and have to replace the belt again and then the tensioner. I used a continental one and it’s been great.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Make sure if you are replacing it that you’re replacing a hydraulic unit. Our 2013 doesn’t have a hydraulic tensioner. It’s just a typical spring based deal. No, it’s not aftermarket. We are the original owners.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Replace it, you are probably only adding $50 to the job and it will give you peace of mind. I use Dayco belts, but only because my grandmother and dad used to work in their plant. Never had a problem with one.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Replace it, you are probably only adding $50 to the job and it will give you peace of mind. I use Dayco belts, but only because my grandmother and dad used to work in their plant. Never had a problem with one.
More like $300 from Honda. Plus if it’s the spring type I’ve never seen one fail. My Lexus has a spring type - 236k miles and about 20 years. The bearing has been replaced but the tensioner is fine.

SOME Pilots have a hydraulic type that is known to be problematic.. that might be worth considering replacing, but then again... for the price maybe better to just monitor and replace when / if it starts leaking.

Also note, my advice is NOT the same for the timing belt tensioner which should be replaced with the belt.

·
Registered
15 Posts
More like $300 from Honda. Plus if it’s the spring type I’ve never seen one fail. My Lexus has a spring type - 236k miles and about 20 years. The bearing has been replaced but the tensioner is fine.

SOME Pilots have a hydraulic type that is known to be problematic.. that might be worth considering replacing, but then again... for the price maybe better to just monitor and replace when / if it starts leaking.

Also note, my advice is NOT the same for the timing belt tensioner which should be replaced with the belt.

Wow, that's shockingly expensive for a tensioner!

·
Super Moderator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,277 Posts

I suspect you priced the timing belt tensioner. This is the price for the third generation serpentine belt tensioner assembly. 2016-2020 Honda Tensioner Assembly, Auto 31170-RLV-A02 | Honda Auto Parts Warehouse

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
This looks good :p

·
Registered
585 Posts
I suspect you priced the timing belt tensioner. This is the price for the third generation serpentine belt tensioner assembly. 2016-2020 Honda Tensioner Assembly, Auto 31170-RLV-A02 | Honda Auto Parts Warehouse
Nope - the t-belt tensioner isn't that expensive, however the serpentine belt tensioner for the 2012 - 2015 is. See below:

·
Registered
585 Posts
That's crazy. I don't think I have ever paid more than $60-70 bucks for a tensioner and I have done a quite a few.
That’s Honda parts prices for ya these days. I swear I think the Germans are nicer about their pricing... or at least it’s legitimately over complicated enough to justify the price. Our local dealer loves to go over msrp too... just because... and then they accuse anyone selling a penny less as being counterfeit.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts